difference between chocolate praline silk meringue and chocolate praline classic /neoclassic buttercream
Posted: 05 August 2014 01:58 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  131
Joined  2011-05-15

I have made the silk meringue many times but never tried making the classic /neoclassic buttercream. Have limited time and a large amount of buttercream to make. Planning on pairing it with the chocolate butter cake and possibly tiering , which would be a good way to go?

Posted: 05 August 2014 11:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3168
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, choco!

The classic and neoclassic are a bit stiffer than the SMBC, so they might support layers/tiers better but, obviously, you can layer/tier with SMBC, as well.

Personally, I find nuts awesome with the neoclassic.  I like the neoclassic a bit more than the classic (I should say the Golden Neoclassic), because I love Lyle’s.

Classic & neoclassic—especially neoclassic—are faster and easier to make than SMBC, to be sure!

Either would go great with a butter cake. 

I hope that’s helpful!!!

—ak

Posted: 05 August 2014 05:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  131
Joined  2011-05-15

Awww thanks for your response Anne in NC. Wish i had read this earlier! Fear and familiarity won out in the end and i ended up making a batch of chocolate praline silk meringue buttercream . Ah well, next time =)

Posted: 05 August 2014 05:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3168
Joined  2010-04-25

Well, you certainly can’t go wrong with any sort of SMBC, either! I mean, that stuff is yum!

Posted: 05 August 2014 10:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

I think the choco silk meringue is both more temperature-stable and more delicious!  Your cake sounds completely amazing, could use a slice right now smile

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour