Chocolate cake made with oil is sticky and gluey
Posted: 19 August 2014 11:26 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2014-02-07

Hi everyone!

I am a seasoned baker and lately I’ve tried several chocolate cake recipes using oil or melted butter (I don’t have a problem with using regular unsalted butter in recipes).  These recipes were followed exactly and they came out perfectly baked and moist, but they tasted very sticky and gluey.  The cake would just stick to the roof of my mouth!  Awful texture!

Can anyone explain what happened?

I prefer to make chocolate cake and carrot cakes with oil and all other cakes with room temp butter. 

Here are the recipes I tried - they all came out sticky - and I did use the toothpick test

http://www.marthastewart.com/356078/hersheys-chocolate-cupcakes

https://www.hersheys.com/recipes/recipe-details.aspx?id=184&name=HERSHEY’S-PERFECTLY-CHOCOLATE-Chocolate-Cake

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/beattys-chocolate-cake-recipe.html

TIA! (thanks in advance)

Posted: 19 August 2014 01:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  606
Joined  2007-11-18
foodncakelover - 19 August 2014 11:26 AM

Hi everyone!

I am a seasoned baker and lately I’ve tried several chocolate cake recipes using oil or melted butter (I don’t have a problem with using regular unsalted butter in recipes).  These recipes were followed exactly and they came out perfectly baked and moist, but they tasted very sticky and gluey.  The cake would just stick to the roof of my mouth!  Awful texture!

Can anyone explain what happened?

I prefer to make chocolate cake and carrot cakes with oil and all other cakes with room temp butter. 

Here are the recipes I tried - they all came out sticky - and I did use the toothpick test

http://www.marthastewart.com/356078/hersheys-chocolate-cupcakes

https://www.hersheys.com/recipes/recipe-details.aspx?id=184&name=HERSHEY’S-PERFECTLY-CHOCOLATE-Chocolate-Cake

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/beattys-chocolate-cake-recipe.html

TIA! (thanks in advance)

FOODCAKELOVER:
  Good morning. I can only state my opinion. However the first two web sites are employing the muffin mix method. That method is best left to the prof bakers.
I do not think it is as efficient as the creaming method which has a much larger of margin of error when a recipe is employing butter & bleached flour.

If employing veg oil I use my own method of mixing that I have never seen listed in any baking book before. One more thing, if you feel that the baked product sticks to the roof of your mouth I do believe like you that has to do with the veg oil. You can reduce the oil a few oz & replace it with apple sauce. In doing that you then must reduce some of the liquid in the recipe slightly because apple sauce is about 85% water & veg oil does not have any water in it.

I did not view the 3rd entry as I cannot get thru to that website.

If you require any assistance in the mixing thereof I can help you with that

Good luck & enjoy the rest of the day.

~FRESHKID.

Posted: 19 August 2014 02:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2014-02-07

Hi FRESHKID - thanks for the detailed response and suggestions.  I’m sorry you weren’t able to view the last link as I checked all of them before posting and they were fine, must be a glitch!

What is your own method of mixing, if you don’t mind to share?

Posted: 20 August 2014 10:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-18
foodncakelover - 19 August 2014 02:41 PM

Hi FRESHKID - thanks for the detailed response and suggestions.  I’m sorry you weren’t able to view the last link as I checked all of them before posting and they were fine, must be a glitch!

What is your own method of mixing, if you don’t mind to share

FOODCAKELOVER:
  Good morning. This mixing method is for veg oil fat or any other fat soft liquid fat.

In a LARGE mixing bowl add fat honey if using Using a hand held mixer mix for 1 to 1.5 minutes. Add whole eggs or yolks mix till blended. Add melted coco room temp but still pourable Add extracts. Using fine sugar add to flour along with chemical leveners & salt. Mix in flour in 3 segments with a spatula. If you have sour cream in your recipe or milk or buttermilk add to the mix with flour first then dairy & repeat ending with flour. Add gently fruit like cut~up bananas or blueberries ete.. Now if you have whipped up whites add in 2 segments gently.

Many of these ingredients I mentioned may not be applicable. This will just give an idea. If you wish to try it post your recipe & I will post directions Till then enjoy the rest of the day.

~FRESHKID.

Posted: 20 August 2014 02:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2014-07-24

Here is another cake recipe similar to those you’ve referenced. 

http://addapinch.com/cooking/the-best-chocolate-cake-recipe-ever/#.Uk-DH9JtjOA

I first made it before discovering Rose.  It came out very good but I felt it wasn’t quite there.  I just made it yesterday, this time with 2/3 all purpose bleached and 1/3 cake flour.  I also used dutch processed cocoa and processed the sugar to super fine. I used baking bands and baked with convection.  I feel it came out perfect with a fine delicate crumb.  The cake was a bit tacky to the touch but I didn’t find it gummy or sticking to the roof of my mouth.  This recipe uses more flour and baking powder than the others. Perhaps that contributed to the better result.  Anyway, I feel I really nailed it.  Of course I could do it tomorrow exactly as I did yesterday and gotten worse results.  Who knows. smile

Posted: 26 August 2014 09:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4797
Joined  2008-04-16

@Freshkid, your mixing method sounds a bit like it might be related to the cakes that use mayonaise - i.e., you create a mayonaise-like emulsion before going on to add the other ingredients. smile

@foodncakelover, one other thing to check with cakes that seem to stick to the roof of your mouth is too much gluten - was your flour stronger (more protein) than usual?  Maybe unbleached (which is stronger than bleached)?  Interested to hear back if you solve the problem smile

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 27 August 2014 02:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-18
Julie - 26 August 2014 09:14 PM

@Freshkid, your mixing method sounds a bit like it might be related to the cakes that use mayonaise - i.e., you create a mayonaise-like emulsion before going on to add the other ingredients. smile

@foodncakelover, one other thing to check with cakes that seem to stick to the roof of your mouth is too much gluten - was your flour stronger (more protein) than usual?  Maybe unbleached (which is stronger than bleached)?  Interested to hear back if you solve the problem smile

JULIE:
  Good morning. Thank you for your interest in my oil based mixing method. I have never baked one of those cakes before…it does sound interesting however.

My method is to mix the FINE sugar into the flour & not with the fat. Anyway, here are my thoughts on this recipe that you brought up. Is it possible that in employing MAYO instead of veg. oil eliminate the “STICK” in the roof of the mouth problem?????
You know I may try it soon out of curiousity. When I do I will report back.

Have a nice day Julie.

~FRESHKID.

Posted: 28 August 2014 06:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  28
Joined  2014-08-28

Well I also never use this type of things like oil and melted butter. But from this post i get that i never use them in near future. Thanks for sharing such a nice information which is really helpful for me.

Signature 

Online cake Delivery