1 of 2
Gingerbread Cookies
Posted: 15 December 2008 10:34 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  34
Joined  2008-02-14

Please post a good gingerbread cookie recipe. I am planing to use cookie cutters with it and I am afraid that the one I have will crumble when rolled. Thanks for your help!!!!! smile

Posted: 15 December 2008 12:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4781
Joined  2008-04-16

Rose’s recipe can be found in “Rose’s Christmas Cookies”, it is excellent and rolls/cuts nicely.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 15 December 2008 02:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  324
Joined  2008-03-19

I second Julie’s recommendation. Rose’s recipe is the only one I use. It is delicious and easy to work with, for a roll-out dough.

Posted: 15 December 2008 03:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  34
Joined  2008-02-14

I’m sorry that I do not have the book. I have the three bibles, pies, bread and cakes. I think I should get the Cookie book also. Thanks for your reply.

Posted: 15 December 2008 04:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  500
Joined  2007-11-24

The Cookie book (Rose’s Christmas Cookies) is great! Mine gets a lot of use this time of year.

Signature 

Please visit my blog:
Bungalow Barbara

Posted: 21 December 2008 09:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2008-01-21

I love this recipe from an old Cook’s Illustrated. Very easy to make. I’ve started adding 1/2 tsp. fresh, finely ground black pepper. It sounds weird but it’s the spiciest gingerbread I’ve ever had. (I have not tried Rose’s recipe, though.)

Posted: 22 December 2008 12:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

My gingerbread recipe calls for ground pepper too (a Martha Stewart recipe from years ago).  It’s very good and you don’t taste the pepper at all.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 24 December 2008 05:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2008-01-21

I also think Maida Heatter has one with dry mustard in it. I love her recipes, but I guess that is a bridge too far for me!  smile

Posted: 03 November 2009 07:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  102
Joined  2009-09-25

Thread from the past:
I’ve been looking for a good chewy recipe, I am working on making a batch tonight using manggy’s recipe!  I have a partial recipe that uses eggs in it, quite different from http://manggy.blogspot.com/2007/11/thick-and-chewy-gingerbread-cookies.html , but it just isn’t right and makes a gingersnap kind of cookie that is just a bit too firm, even when it is rolled out at 1/4”, I’ll also try the ground pepper!

Signature 

Tom <”))))>(
(TDWyatt)
Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -Plato

Posted: 05 November 2009 01:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  266
Joined  2007-11-18

Wen Chocolates here in Denver makes the absolute best gingerbread cookies that I’ve ever had—large squares that are thick, soft, chewy, and spicy. Fresh ginger and Chinese Five Spice Powder is used. I’ve been trying to get the owner, Chef Will Poole, to cough up the recipe for years, but so far nothing! :-D

Signature 

Visit my blog: The Mile High Baker at http://www.milehighbaker.blogspot.com

Posted: 09 November 2009 01:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-25

Talk about disaster!  I made the batter (Maggy recipe above), and thought it was a little too sticky, but it calls for rolling between two sheets of parchment and refrigerating before cutting out the shapes, so I followed the directions…  It doesn’t take long for the 6mm (1/4”) thick frozen dough to get back to a very pliable, sticky dough, so I am rushing to get as many gingerbread men and women cut out and onto a parchment paper (PP) on an airbake sheet as quickly as I can.  The last few are starting to stick to everything, I’m thinking about dusting them with flour or cornstarch so I can handle them as I rush to get them on the sheets.  I get the last few on the bake sheet (and re-shape a few), the phone is ringing, and the oven alarm is telling me it’s ready and the stone is up to temp, so I open the oven door and start to throw this first sheet in, when I burn just the outside edge of my hand on the open oven door, which makes me reflexively jerk back, which makes me release my finger grip on the PP, which (at that angle) makes me dump ALL OF THE COOKIES on the PP INTO THE PRE-HEATED OVEN… 

Fifteen minutes later and through the use of spatulas and tongs, I am able to get most of the cookie dough out of the oven (an electric resistance oven).  The cookies that landed on the heating element are by this time just stopping smoking, there are cookies that are baking (and almost done now) on the baking stone, and there are little pieces of gingerbread all over the floor. At least I had not gotten all the cornmeal off the baking stone yet so the cookies that landed there didn’t stick…  The whole house has an interesting aroma of gingersnaps and burning dough, and most of the smoke has gone up through the hood, so at least the smoke detectors didn’t go off.  I have an interesting mix of positions from the shaped cookies, some like a bake intended for a blue movie festival…  oh oh  Mel (my wife) has been laughing all evening about them.

I have the balance of the dough already in the freezer, so, tomorrow will be another day with really cold dough.  I may try to make them again with more grams of flour to make them less sticky and easier to handle at room temp and see how they turn out.  I’ll also add more ginger, though these were very tasty and chewy once cooled…  maybe the black pepper, too.

Signature 

Tom <”))))>(
(TDWyatt)
Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -Plato

Posted: 09 November 2009 01:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-25

I guess this also means I’ll have to break down and get a copy of Rose’s cookie book, now, as well.

Signature 

Tom <”))))>(
(TDWyatt)

Posted: 09 November 2009 11:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Wow, what a story!!  It would be interesting to see what all the “finished” gingerbread looked like.  Sorry about the burn, we’ve all been there.

I make Rose’s recipe (a quadruple batch!) every year and give it away to everyone I can think of (well, I suppose we eat a fair amount, too…).  It is buttery and also gets soft when warm, but I don’t recall it being sticky.  However, I was never going for a chewy texture, I like a little crispiness on the outside, softer on the inside.  I roll the dough on the back of sheet pans and keep rotating them into the refrigerator as needed to keep everything cool and easier to work with. 

Good luck on your next attempt!

Signature 

Posted: 09 November 2009 08:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-25
Julie - 09 November 2009 03:31 PM

... It would be interesting to see what all the “finished” gingerbread looked like…

Julie, the 2nd batch from your copy of the recipe worked MUCH better!  I did a small batch tonight to see how they would do, and tomorrow I am going to scale up to the 4X batch.  Once they are fully piped and decorated, I’ll post another image.

The cookies as they are cooling, boy do they smell good!

Image Attachments
DSC_0001r_closeup_GBM.jpgDSC0002r_GBM cooling.jpg
 Signature 

Tom <”))))>(
(TDWyatt)

Posted: 10 November 2009 09:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

Tom, your gingerbread cookies look perfect!  Can’t wait to see them decorated.
smile

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 10 November 2009 10:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Looking good!  Glad to hear this batch worked well for you!

Signature 

1 of 2

‹‹ rock cookie      Gift Boxes ››