Gummy Eggless Cake Advice Needed Quickly!!!
Posted: 18 December 2008 11:01 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2008-12-18

I am baking a birthday cake for my vegan nieces.  The problem with vegan cakes is no eggs obviously.  It’s hard to make a decent cake without eggs with the exception of the eggless chocolate cake that was published in Bon Appetit’s cake cookbook and has been republished under another name in the magazine this month.  So I have the chocolate cake covered. 

The problem is that I need to make a pumpkin, carrot or sweet potato cake this time.  I have done two test cakes this week.  The first was a vegan carrot cake from the web and it was terrible on every level.  I usually don’t trust recipes unless they come from reliable sources, but I decided to take a chance.  The second cake I made was a pumpkin cake which I had modified to make it vegan by using egg replacer (not egg beaters, this is a powdered egg free concoction available at natural food stores).  Once again I am ending up with a rather gummy cake that tastes OK, but is lacking in decent structure.  It’s very dense as well as gummy.  I have had MANY gummy vegan cakes produced by other vegan family members, but I feel that it MUST be possible to create a decent cake that contains something other than chocolate without eggs.  Can anyone advise me on where the recipe is going wrong?  Something must be unbalanced. 

I assume the chief issue is the heavy vegetable component not allowing any decent rise with baking soda and powder alone.  The chocolate cake recipe works by using baking soda, powder and vinegar to boost the rise.  But I am afraid these heavier cakes can’t hold up with that alone.  Please HELP me understand the science here and try to fix it fast!!!

Posted: 19 December 2008 12:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  590
Joined  2007-11-18

MTNRUNNER:
  Good morning. Welcome to our culinary club. The information that you are seeking may possibly be found at the web address that I will be posting for your benefit.

GO TO:

http://ezinearticles.com/?Vegan-Cake-Recipe-Made-Simple&id=1569671

I hope this website will help your cause. Enjoy the rest of the day young lady.

~FRESHKID.

Posted: 19 December 2008 05:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  324
Joined  2008-03-19

I have to commend you for taking on the challenge of a vegan cake. I have been able to accommodate every dietary restriction, from vegetarianism, to kosher, to celiac disease, to kosher for passover, but vegan is not something that I have taken on, and I don’t know if I could do it.

I recommend that you do some research by looking at Harold McGee’s book, “On Food and Cooking.” He has an entire chapter on baked goods, and he explains how each ingredient functions to give the final product flavor and structure. He is a scientist, and yet the book is very accessible. From what I understand, his book is required reading at the Culinary Institute of America. Based in the information he gives in the section where he discusses fats, I have been able to successfully figure out a recipe for non-dairy cakes for kosher friends. The cakes themselves turned out quite well, and you would never guess that instead of butter, I used coconut oil. So, look at what he has to say about eggs (I believe he has a whole chapter on just eggs), and how they function in cakes. Good luck!

If you can’t successfully do a BAKED vegan item, you might consider doing a frozen cake out of fruit sorbet or “ice cream” made with coconut milk. I realize this is a cold time of year for frozen confections, but at least it would be a festive cake-shaped item that would taste delicious. You could decorate it with fruit.