1 of 2
Anybody baking for Christmas gifts?
Posted: 04 December 2007 11:38 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  49
Joined  2007-11-19

I am thinking about making homemade gifts for my husband’s supervisors this year…if time allows.  Maybe some fudge, puppy chow, and a couple other things.

Is anyone else doing this?  If so, what are you including?  I would like some ideas.

Thanks.

Signature 

“If we couldn’t laugh, we would all go insane.” ~ Jimmy Buffett

Posted: 04 December 2007 11:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

Oh yes - delicious baked goodies go over really well with my hubby’s co-workers.  Haven’t though about what yet…

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 04 December 2007 01:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  67
Joined  2007-11-22

what’s this “puppy chow”...?? do tell

my boss, at my security job in CT a few years back, used to bring us goodie bags, at christmas.. chock full of home made treats, wrapped candies, and stuff to while away our twelve hour shifts, in sugardom…

we all looked forward tothat, year after year…

Signature 

If chocolate were a friend it’d be one needing compliance:
but bread on the other hand is a cahtartic, soulful blend of commraderie, chemistry , and respect.

Posted: 04 December 2007 01:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-11-19

It is a recipe we found on the back of a Chex cereal box years ago.  (I’m not that old, but there is something about the phrase “years ago” that makes me feel old.  I think I am going to ban that phrase from my vocabulary.)  Anyway, it is sooooo yummy…and easy!!!

http://www.chex.com/Recipes/RecipeView.aspx?RecipeId=19919&CategoryId=342

Signature 

Posted: 04 December 2007 03:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2007-12-04

I have made a variety of chocolate truffles in years past and will probably do so again this year. There are lots of good, simple recipes out there and they are always well received.

Posted: 04 December 2007 03:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-11-19

I thought about truffles also.  I found a couple recipes - one from CI and another from Alton Brown.  I like that idea because you can make a huge batch and just roll them in assorted things for variety.

Signature 

Posted: 04 December 2007 03:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  21
Joined  2007-11-15

We throw a holiday party for our employees every year (at our house - we’re not noted for our sanity LOL) and this year I’ll be giving little “gift baskets” rather than buying restaurant gift cards or company shirts as we usually do.  I’ll do fudge, cookies and other homemade goodies (“Puppy Chow” never occurred to me, but I’m glad someone else thought of it - thanks!) and maybe a little ornament or one of those small Yankee candles.  I may do a homemade hot chocolate mix and print up a card with “instructions” on it as well.

Signature 

Save the earth.  It’s the only planet with chocolate.

Posted: 04 December 2007 07:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  108
Joined  2007-11-15

I make lots of cookies and various truffles for cookie plates, rather than shopping for individuals anymore.

Nobody ever complains about anything but the extra calories, but then again, they never refuse the cookies, LOL!!

I’m making up a batch of chocolate covered cherries tonight, pretty much my first effort for this holiday season.

(I’ve got some date/fig cookie filling ripening in the fridge, but I’m not quite ready to use it.)

Posted: 05 December 2007 09:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  124
Joined  2007-11-18

Every year in the fall, I make a big batch of my slow-cooker apple butter and put it up in 4-oz. jelly jars - there is only a modest amount of hands-on work to making the butter and it only takes an hour to fill and process the jars.  I always include one in a gift basket of fudge and other Christmas cookies, and it probably generates more comments than anything else smile

Signature 

“There is no such thing as reconstituted lemon juice, only reconstituted taste buds.” - Bert Greene

Posted: 05 December 2007 02:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  282
Joined  2007-11-16

Cookies, cookies, cookies.  My husband gives lots of cookies to his clients and the offices.  They are good keepers.

MrsM

Posted: 07 December 2007 10:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2007-11-30

Fudge, but not chocolate.  White chocolate with coconut.  It’s yummy and different and people love it.

Posted: 07 December 2007 12:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2007-11-20

I’m making Maida Heatter’s Palm Beach Biscotti, from her last cookbook (I can’t remember what it’s called, but it was published about 5 years ago).  I use the variation with pecans and candied ginger (from Penzey’s).  You first bake the dough in a loaf pan, then freeze the loaf until needed for biscotti.  The loaves keep in the freezer for a long time- just cut them into slices and bake when you want the cookies.  The finished cookies keep a long time in an airtight tin.  I send them to some friends and relatives who we don’t see during the holidays, give them to neighbors at a cookie exchange, and bring them in to work for our holiday party.  (and we keep some for ourselves, of course- great with tea or a glass of Port.  My husband likes the variation with green pistachios and lemon zest, so I usually make a batch for him as well.)

Posted: 07 December 2007 11:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  143
Joined  2007-11-17

I will be giving espresso white chocolate chunk cookies.

Signature 

Come visit my blog
http://occasionalbaker.blogspot.com

Posted: 09 December 2007 08:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2007-11-16

We give a huge basket to some very good friends of ours.  This is what is included in the basket.

Holiday Cardamom Braided Yeast Bread

Candy:

Fudge
Pistachio cranberry bark
White Chocolate Peppermint Candy

Quick Breads:

Choc Zucchini Bread
Orange Poppy Seed Bread
Black & White Banana Bread
Cranberry/Orange Bread

Biscotti:

Gingerbread biscotti
Cranberry Pistachio

Scones:

Buttermilk scones w/ wild blueberry preserves
Cranberry Tangerine Scones

Cookies:

Checkerboard cookies
Iced Molasses cookies
Giada’s Almond Choc chip cookies
Shortbread cookies
Orange Vanilla Cookies
Dark Chocolate Crackles

Posted: 10 December 2007 10:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  124
Joined  2007-11-18

I’m starting my baking today with pizzelles.  I use the recipe I inherited from my Bisnonna (my Italian great-grandmother, whom I was lucky to have until I was 26 years old).  They are hands-down my favorites.

Signature 

“There is no such thing as reconstituted lemon juice, only reconstituted taste buds.” - Bert Greene

Posted: 10 December 2007 01:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2007-12-07

Tiffany, can I coax you into revealing the pizzelle recipe?  Or is it a closely-guarded family secret?

Mine’s fairly basic, but I like it.  It’s scaled to make about 6 dozen small ones (3”).

3 large eggs
3/4 cup sugar
1 stick butter, melted
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 3/4 cups cake flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

Heat pizzelle iron.
Beat eggs and sugar until thick.
Stir in melted butter and vanilla.
Sift together flour and baking powder, and blend into batter until smooth.
Put half a spoonful of batter on iron, slightly behind the center of each circle.
Bake for 45 seconds, or until steam is no longer coming out of the iron.

1 of 2