difference using egg yolks vs. whole eggs in tart recipe
Posted: 20 December 2008 01:47 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2008-01-20

I just made a simple lemon tart calling for whole eggs, but I found the filling a little stiff.  Some recipes call for using yolks instead of whole eggs.  Would just yolks make for a more tender filling?  Also, do you have any suggestions for making this filling recipe a little lighter if egg yolks only is not the way to go?

Filling

3 whole eggs
1/2 cup lemon juice
2 tsps. lemon rind
1 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk

Whisk ingredients together, fill a prebaked pie or tart shell, bake for 30 minutes.

Thanks for your help!

Posted: 20 December 2008 07:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  500
Joined  2007-11-24

This is very much like the standard Key Lime Pie recipe, but with lemons and whole eggs. It seems to use more eggs which may be why it is so thick.

I would recommend reducing the eggs to 2 large eggs, or possibly using egg yolks. Try 4 egg yolks, or 1 large egg plus 2 egg yolks. They’ll probably all work, but give you slightly different textures.

The “basic” recipe for Key Lime pie is the one found here (among other places):
http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/key-lime-pie
You’ll note that it calls for 4 egg yolks.

Here’s a neat trick from Rose’s recipe for Key Lime Pie in “The Pie and Pastry Bible”—for a fluffier pie, try using the 4 egg yolks, and then beating one of the egg whites and folding it into the mixture just before putting it into the pie shell.

Signature 

Please visit my blog:
Bungalow Barbara

Posted: 21 December 2008 01:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-01-20

Thank you very much, Bungalow Barbara, for your quick reply.  I’m going to try the 4 egg yolks, then beating one of the egg whites and folding into mixture as you suggest.  I should get Rose’s Cake and Pie Bibles!  I appreciate your sharing one of her tricks for a fluffier pie.

Posted: 22 December 2008 01:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1421
Joined  2007-11-15

I can’t think of one issue Rose hasn’t addressed and make it into her books, like fluffing a filling, cutting down the overly sweet, tenderizing cake structure, and turning a pecan pie into a tart for a less clogging experience!  Rose even has a trick on how to perfectly roast a turkey!

She is the grammys of the recipe book world, her new book coming next fall will have many new tricks!  Some revolutionary.  It is available for presale in Amazon.

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 22 December 2008 01:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-01-20

Thank you, Hector, for your reply.  Rosie’s books should be on my shelf.  I have several from other baking authors, but I often find their information a little lacking and at times, the recipes don’t work as intended - mainly, because they don’t give enough guidance on technique and I screw something up!  I appreciate your feedback.

Posted: 22 December 2008 02:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1421
Joined  2007-11-15

you are very welcome.  Rose’s book are very useful for the science and overall understanding on what is happening, excellent for troubleshooting as you say.  It is a very technical book, which indeed is often seen as intimidating for the home cook.  happy baking, my week has been filled with events, you won’t believe.  merry xmas.

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 22 December 2008 03:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-01-20

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you, too!

Posted: 22 December 2008 10:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  500
Joined  2007-11-24

Best wishes to both of you! Rose’s books are great, full of all sorts of information that help you understand both the “how” and the “why” of baking. I love her recipes, plus I am constantly applying the things I’ve learned from her books to recipes from other places.

Other good books to learn more about the science of cooking and baking:
Alton Brown’s “I’m Just Here for More Food”
Shirley Corriher’s “Cookwise” and “Bakewise”
or Harold McGee’s “On Food and Cooking”

Signature 

Please visit my blog:
Bungalow Barbara

Posted: 23 December 2008 05:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-01-20

Thanks again Bungalow Barbara for your recommendations.  I’m always interested in learning more about the science of cooking/baking.  I love Alton Brown from Food Network.  I’ll check out Shirley Corriher and Harold McGee.

Happy holidays and “Good Eats” to everyone!!