Taste of heaven
Posted: 21 December 2008 04:27 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

I recently attended a party to which I brought Rose’s “Taste of Heaven”.  This is her take on the Zuger Kirschtorte.  I did it in a round pan instead of heart shaped (Don’t have a heart shaped pan and I don’t have space for even one more kitchen item).  Posting some pics here.  It is an amazing mix of soft/crunchy/smooth textures.  You can also really taste the Kirsch…not such a bad thing for me but many people found it a tad “alcoholic” lol.  I used mousseline buttercream rather than classic…this way you can get more kirsch into it!  lol It isn’t exactly like eating a cocktail…but it does pack a bit of a kick.  Here are pics of the whole cake in all its cherry glory (including just a bit of red food color to give one the full cherry experience), and the cut cake (sorry about the messy presentation of the cut cake…but it was a somewhat rambunctious group).  We ate our fill and gave the rest to the door men on staff…they were a happy bunch (not sure how secure the building was after they got done…but they were smiling!)

Image Attachments
Zuger Kirschtorte.jpgZuger Kirschtorte cut.jpg

Posted: 22 December 2008 12:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

Looks and sounds utterly delicious Bill… yum, yum, yum!  I really like your double piped border.  I love the story of the doormen too smile... I bet you made their night!

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 22 December 2008 02:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18
Bill - 21 December 2008 08:27 PM

We ate our fill and gave the rest to the door men on staff…they were a happy bunch (not sure how secure the building was after they got done…but they were smiling!)

LOL

Bill, great presentation as always. The top is so smooth.

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 22 December 2008 03:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16

Wow, Bill, what a fabulous cake!  And so, so pretty.  Doormen must love Rose and her followers…

I’ve been wanting to try some of Rose’s cakes that use Kirsch, but haven’t found a good brand in my area and keep forgetting to pick some up when in the city.  I have a small bottle of HW kirsch sitting unused in my cabinet- it smells and tastes so bad I can’t bear to ruin good food with it!

What was the texture like on the dacquoise disks?  How long did you let the cake sit before serving?

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 22 December 2008 04:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

The dacquoise discs are both crunchy and slightly sticky at the same time.  I actually made the cake the day before it was served.  You have to sort of saw through the layers with a serrated knife to get through the dacquoise, and it makes a sound that everyone remarked upon, it sounds exactly like walking through icy snow. 

The double shell border was not a planned design.  Just wanted to use up the rest of the buttercream and I already had the top smooth.  I didn’t want to chance messing it up by piling the rest of the buttercream on top.

Posted: 22 December 2008 08:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  289
Joined  2008-08-13

Lovely cake Bill! Looks really scrumptious, and as usual your piping work is impeccable

‹‹ When you yeast expect      Biscuit Savoie ››