holiday hallelujah streusel brioche
Posted: 22 December 2008 01:43 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2008-12-22

This, from the Cake Bible, is exactly the taste and texture I’d been searching for in a babka.  However, it took a tremendous chunk of time and many, many steps. All of which would have been okay, except that it was basically a flat-top cake, and I thought it was going to be high and handsome. Part of the problem, I think, was having to turn it onto its head right out of the oven, which I think flattened it somewhat. But even without that, it didn’t rise over the top of the (tube) pan.

Any ideas?

Janet.q

Posted: 22 December 2008 11:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4823
Joined  2008-04-16

Janet, I have very happily made Rose’s brioche a number of times, so I’ll try to help. 

Was the texture good, or too dense?  If good, chances are it’s the pan. 

You mention a ring pan, did you try a differently-shaped version? (the recipe calls for an 8x2 round or a 9x3 brioche pan).  This same size brioche recipe baked in a 6-cup Savarin mold will look like my avatar cake- nice, but not as tall as, say, a bundt-style cake. 

If the texture was too dense, then something went wrong- did you proof the yeast?  Use a well-preheated baking stone (425F) to boost oven spring? Did you use bread flour, the correct amount of butter, and did the final rise happen as described in the recipe (to the top of the pan)?

Good luck and keep at it, Rose’s Brioche is fabulous!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or less) Sour - Part II

Posted: 23 December 2008 10:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-12-22

Thank you, Julie.  I did everything just as you described.  The texture and taste were perfect.  I’d hoped, perhaps mistakenly, for more height.  Would you recommend doubling the recipe to get a higher cake? If so, what pan would you use?

Happy holidays, and thanks again.

Janet

Posted: 24 December 2008 02:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4823
Joined  2008-04-16

Janet, if you like the way Rose’s picture of this looks, you could use the same pan- 9x3 (giant-sized) brioche.  The flared shape means more height than in the round pan. 

In the Bread Bible, there are a number of brioche-based recipes that use different pans.  The two I’m thinking you might like are the chocolate-almond kugelhopf, which Rose bakes in a beautiful rose-shaped bundt, and the panettone, which bakes up high in a paper pan or souffle dish.  You can scale up or down by comparing recipes and get baking directions from those recipes. 

I know from experience that this recipe can be easily doubled, I do it every time I make it now.  I freeze already baked cake layers meant to be soaked with rum syrup, so I’m not yet sure how well an un-syruped version would maintain it’s lovely texture.

Good Luck, and maybe consider posting pics when you achieve the perfect Babka, I’d love to see it!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or less) Sour - Part II

Posted: 24 December 2008 02:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-12-22

Again, thanks!

Onward to the grail: the perfect babka!

Janet

Posted: 07 March 2012 10:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  35
Joined  2012-03-07

Hello, I found this thread while looking for the proper size for a Giant Brioche.  Amazon seems to be out of 9.5 inch pans.  Gobel pans from France seem like good ones.  I will have to settle for an 8.5 inch until they get some 9.5  

I asked my wife what “Babka means.”  I met her in Moscow, so she knows.  She says it is not very nice word to describe an old woman.  So I know you guys are having good fun, joking with each other.