whats it called? very thin layered cake
Posted: 03 January 2009 05:03 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2009-01-03

Hi
Several years ago I baked a cake that was baked in several very thin layers each about 1/8 of an inch thick. Each layer took about 5 mins to bake and you would bake 1 layer pour batter over it for the next layer bake it repeat till you had around 10 layers ...I want to make this cake again but I don’t remember what it was called and I can’t find a recipe for it.
Can anyone help be by giving me the name and recipe please…

Posted: 03 January 2009 07:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2009-01-03

I looked Baumkuchen up on google and yes it’s very close to what I made but not the same mine was baked in a pan not on a spit
but I did find where someone had made a Baumkuchen in a pan and baked it under the broiler this might work for me thank you for your reply

Posted: 05 February 2009 10:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  26
Joined  2008-03-04

Sounds like a local Malay/Singaporean/Indonesian cake Kueh Lapis.  It’s a rich, moist butter cake baked in a square or rectangular pan.  You start with one thin layer, bake it for 5 minutes, pour on a second thin layer of batter, bake again, and so on till you have about 10-20 very thin layers.  It was brought to this region by European (Dutch???) colonizers so it’s definitely a European cake.  It doesn’t have any filling between layers.  So yummy but so fattening!

Posted: 04 May 2009 07:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2009-05-04

A doberge cake?

‹‹ Buttercream Dillema      Fondant ››