2 of 2
Making 1/2 Sheet Cake, have some questions!!
Posted: 08 January 2009 09:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4807
Joined  2008-04-16

If you are baking a butter cake, it will only stay perfectly moist the day it is baked, at most one day later if you have wrapped it really well in plastic wrap and then foil as soon as it is cool.  If you want to bake it well ahead, you’ll need to syrup it according to the directions in the wedding cake section (page number in the 500s). 

Each recipe has guidelines for storage in the sidebar that will tell you how long you can store the cake.  I would definitely keep it in the fridge if you have room, mousseline will be fine refrigerated or frozen, just don’t refrigerate fondant.

Mousseline is off-white, a result of the mixture of pale yellow butter and white meringue.  It is the whitest of the buttercreams.  I think beating the butter until lightened in color and flufffy before incorporating it into the meringue gives the palest ivory (as opposed to using it straight from the stick).

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 08 January 2009 10:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Whenever I make a butter cake and have to keep it for a day or two, I always crumb coat it and apply another thin layer of frosting the same day I bake the cake. I find this keeps the moisture in and the cake stays moister longer. I do the final coats of buttercream and the final touches later as needed. This way I don’t have to use any syrup. Most of the time I bake the day of which is not very convenient. For the most part I make genoise cakes and dryness is rarely an issue.

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 09 January 2009 09:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  913
Joined  2009-01-04

Alright, I guess I am just having problems picking the right cake then. Maybe i shouldn’t do a butter cake since i can’t do all this baking in one day (and decorating)

Posted: 09 January 2009 11:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

OMG skiweaver9, I didn’t mean to confuse you or add to your stress. I was just merely trying to help you. I am so sorry! You should do the butter cake if that is what you have decided to do. There are many, many bakers on this forum who do it (butter cakes) successfully.

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 09 January 2009 11:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  913
Joined  2009-01-04

LOL no don’t worry i am just trying to figure out what to do lol.

All you guys have helped me soo much with information on just about everything. I’d rather hear all your opinions so I can make a better decision when it comes to what kind of cakes to make (before having the opportunity to trying ALL the cakes myself).  Thats the way I can learn!

Posted: 09 January 2009 03:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  253
Joined  2007-11-29

if i have a cake due on saturday morning, I bake on thursday and frost and fill on friday, deliver on saturday morning.

if the cake is due saturday afternoon, i bake on friday night, fill and crumb coat friday night (cuz i don’t mind staying up late) then decorate saturday morning.
i usually wrap the naked cake in plastic and keep on the counter overnight and it is usually fine, but you can also wrap and refrig.

to successfully marry your cakes trim the inside edges flat, crumb coat and stick together. then cut off any dome you may have so that the top of the cake is as flat as possible.
frost and fill in any dips you may have.

for a solid cake base i cut 2 sheets of cardboard from leftover boxes , hot glue together and cover with wilton’s cake foil. should be very sturdy and keep your center from separating.

jen

Signature 

http://www.ellavanilla.com

2 of 2