Another Question!!
Posted: 05 January 2009 01:56 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  913
Joined  2009-01-04

How do you get a true red color on frosting?? I see Americolor has a ‘red red’ gel that you can buy, is this good? Would one .75oz bottle be enough to make frosting red??  Also, does 1 thing of black work to make a true black color??

Im just wondering if you need to buy 3 tubes of each or whatnot!

Posted: 05 January 2009 05:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2595
Joined  2007-11-15

Most of us don’t use much food coloring, but I can offer this… start with an egg white based buttercream, instead of a yolk based buttercream, so the color will be truer when you tint it.  Example, adding raspberry or strawberry conserve or puree to Rose’s Neo-classic buttercream will result in a peach colored finished product, but add them to the Mousseline and you end up with a lovely rose colored shade.

Signature 

Come visit me at

Blog:  http://butteryum.org
Twitter:  https://twitter.com/ButterYum
Pinterest:  http://www.pinterest.com/butteryum/
Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/ButterYum.ATastyLittleFoodBlog

Posted: 05 January 2009 07:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  253
Joined  2007-11-29

it can take an entire bottle of color to change a couple of cups of frosting vibrant red or black. i discourage people from covering a cake entirely in bright color due to the bitterness. so when i make it i only need a few ounces. i usually keep the rest in the piping bag in the fridge until i need it again.

jen

Signature 

http://www.ellavanilla.com

Posted: 05 January 2009 09:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

ok well my goal is to have enough red to color in an elmo on a cake, and possibly a red shell border. The main color of the cake is going to be whit
I also need black for elmo’s mouth and eyeballs.  I once tried to do red, i bought the no taste red and I used a whole bottle (it was small but geez) and it did end up turning red in the end…just not the bright red that i was looking for. More of a darker red.

Like on your website, that mickymouse cake ...how did you make that black??

Posted: 05 January 2009 09:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1077
Joined  2007-11-15

Just like Patrincia says,  I don’t have experience with color either, but my understanding is that powdered color is the best to use as it doesn’t dilute the recipe with liquid and the colors are more vibrant.  I think paste is the second preferred.

Posted: 06 January 2009 12:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  102
Joined  2008-04-28

Hi,

I haven’t used these colours in Rose’s buttercreams but have in non-cooked beaten buttercream and marshmallow fondant icings….here is an excerpt of a previous post I made on red and black fondant colouring which may assist. I’m starting another Thomas the Train cake this evening and the powdered colours are what I will choose, can’t beat them for depth in dark colours IMHO and you only need the a few grains….less than 1/4 teaspoon of black powdered colour did a whole batch of fondant.

FROM post Oct 9: As Hector says, you do need more colouring to make these shades and this will throw the liquid ratio out enough to mess things up! Also the shortening ratio although small is critical to the elasticity and smoothness of the final product in a fondant.

I have used both Wilton paste and Corella powder colours and have found the powder colours perform best. You do need to dissolve the powder colours in a few drops of warm water (e.g no more than a teaspoon) otherwise they will appear grainy in your fondant, but the depth of colour is far superior to paste IMHO!

Also, I never start from white when making black and red. For red I add the tinest amount of black prior to adding the red which gives better depth.

When making black (depending on the amount I require) during initial mixing I add a tiny bit of blue then black and the hand knead in more black.

I also find that I use about 1 teaspoon extra shortening to grease my hands when kneading (we have a different kind here in Aus to that which Peggy specifies) and occasionally about 1 tablespoon extra of icing (confectioner?s) sugar if it gets sticky to keep the glossiness and texture.

I haven?t tried it but I have heard that dissolving pure cocoa powder (e.g. not drinking chocolate) in a little warm water and adding extra 1 teaspoon shortening in the intial mix gives a good brown.

Hope this helps!

Another thought (and others here know much more about it than me) - had you considered spray on colour?

Posted: 06 January 2009 09:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

well I’ve never worked with fondant so I don’t want to try that yet, and I am planning on using the cooked buttercream (if I can make it). So you are not sure whether the powder color will work on the mousseline, correct?
I never considered spray color, but I’d rather just have the color in the bag to pipe it on.

Posted: 06 January 2009 11:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4823
Joined  2008-04-16

Skiweaver, I also don’t have a lot of experience with coloring buttercreams, but the powder colors, dissolved in a little water as Cate directs, should be fine to add to one of Rose’s buttercreams.  Add it with the flavoring. 

Also, I wanted to say that I’ve seen comments that chocolate fondant makes a better base for black, I bet this holds true for buttercreams as well.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or less) Sour - Part II

Posted: 06 January 2009 12:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

ok where do they sell these powdered colors? I’ve never seen them…any ideas??

Posted: 06 January 2009 03:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

I don’t know if I’m too late…but gel coloring is really strong…and you will be able to get a true red…and you won’t need the whole bottle…it is nothing like the liquid food coloring they sell in the supermarket.  I have seen the powdered color at New York Cake and Baking.  Don’t know where you live, but if you are not in the area, you can try calling them…perhaps they ship (I will add…that most of the people who work there are not terribly helpful…but you never know).
good luck

Posted: 06 January 2009 03:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

not too late havent made the cake yet! In fact, i have 2 months lol.
I am in New York but not NYC. i will see if they have a website…

Posted: 06 January 2009 03:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

They have everything…and I mean everything…so they are probably the people to go to.  Just don’t expect them to know anything or help you with anything. ...  lol…it is amazing that they can stay in business with such bad customer service…but they are the best place to get this stuff.

Bill

Posted: 06 January 2009 03:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

funny i just googled them and clicked on one of the map links and I saw someone gave them 1 star and said “very rude!”....so I dont think you are the only one!

Posted: 06 January 2009 03:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04
Bill - 06 January 2009 07:30 PM

They have everything…and I mean everything…so they are probably the people to go to.  Just don’t expect them to know anything or help you with anything. ...  lol…it is amazing that they can stay in business with such bad customer service…but they are the best place to get this stuff.

Bill

oh yeah and is the powdered stuff tasteless?

Posted: 06 January 2009 03:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Skiweaver9, I use these sites as a guide when I have to colour buttercream. The powdered colouring is tasteless. The one I use is from England. Hope this helps.

http://www.sugarcraft.com/catalog/coloring/colormixingchart.htm

http://www.mts.net/~evelyns1/colicing.htm

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/