Hello fellow bakers !
Posted: 09 January 2009 02:35 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2009-01-09

So I decided I may as well sign up and introduce myself.

My name is Giselle, I’m 24 and I am a bakeaholic..more accurately a foodaholic?  Luckily I have recently found a gym habit so I can support said addiction.

I’ve been lurking for awhile and since I finally found a place to order some of these FABULOUS sounding books ( I live in Australia and even the place I found with only 2 weeks postage times -cost a small fortune!)

I have made basically everything I could find on this website.. and although I had a few disasters with bread in the start, now that I have found a gluten additive and some amazing flours that just aren’t available in supermarkets here I think that will completely change and I’m going to re-make those sweet potato rolls but in a loaf with some pumpkin seeds tonight.. *drool*
I’m absolutely so keen to start my own starter as welll, by god do I love sourdough and the best sourdough place in sydney that also happens to make the most amazing sour olive loaf often runs out by 11am every morning and I am often left cursing my late nights!

I’ve been baking for awhile, and have a cake and cuppie business in Sydney in it’s infancy currently running on word of mouth but I’m building my website at the moment (Did I mention I’m apparently quite the geek? lol)

So yes, have been lusting after these books for quite a bit and am now practically jumping out of my skin to start baking my way through the cake bible and the bread bible..

Although I am pretty happy with most of my recipes i really want to learn the “science” you know? I for whatever reason don’t own any other cook books so everything I have made has been trial and error, or from a website with much recommendation!

Anyway I am off to make some mini Portuguese custart tarts, my special choc biscuits and that bread for a picnic style baby shower tomorrow.

Can’t wait to bake with you all =) But did I say that like 50 times already…?

Giselle

Posted: 09 January 2009 05:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  253
Joined  2007-11-29

welcome!  hope you will jump right in.

let me know when you’re available to work on my website. i need help!!!

jen

Signature 

http://www.ellavanilla.com

Posted: 12 January 2009 01:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4741
Joined  2008-04-16

Welcome, Giselle!  Looking forward to seeing a few pics of all your excellent work!

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 13 January 2009 08:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  102
Joined  2008-04-28

Hi Giselle,
I’m in Sydney too. Sorry you’ve had so much trouble getting the books, I already had TCB but ordered PPB and TBB at Dymocks some time ago and they got them -no shipping fees (around $40-50 per book) within 3-4 weeks!

Good luck with the cuppie business! Do let us know the URL when you are done with the site!
Cheers
Cate

Posted: 16 January 2009 07:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-01-09

Hi Cate

Quick question, as you are in Sydney and have the bread bible, I’m wondering what brands of flour do you use?
I have been using an italian 000 which is meant for pasta and I thought must be the equivalent of “cake flour” this works wonderfully for my cupcakes and most cookies!

I tried some organic stone ground ‘plain white’ from the health food store and found it just to “full” if that makes sense? I.e the same amount compared to the 000 would produce a much drier batter. Although this flour with the added gluten (1 teaspoon per cup) worked OK for the sweet potatoe rolls I made the other day, but still just not perfect enough for me..

I did buy some gluten flour, so I assumed I could try using the 000 with added gluten to make it more suitable for bread, but so far with this flour I’ve only I tried the no knead bread and it was.. gluey and not my cup of tea at all.

I’m trying to find a wholesale supplier atm for the amount of flour I am going through but really want to find a suitable bread flour as well. Or a cheaper alternative to $4 for a kilo of the 000..

Thanks!
Giselle

BTW My books finally arrived and I am over the moon.. I can’t absorb everything fast enough and find my eyes skipping to the next page and attempting to read much faster than I can actually process.. haha!
I am loving the ratio’s but coincidentally, I’m totally confused as to how one of my recipes actually works..
I may post the recipe and some pics to get some more of an idea, as I use only 2 eggs for a 18 - 24 cup cake batch and only 80 grams of butter.. the only thing I can think of is that I use 80 grams of 70% dark lindt and a cup of Bonsoy rather than milk (simply because I use it in coffee myself rather than milk) which I suspect has a very high fat content so that and the chocolate would be the reason it works so well with so little butter.. hmm..

Posted: 16 January 2009 08:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-01-09

Wait just did a quick search..

I find the kates flour VERY interesting, Before testing out and using the tipo 00 for my chocolate cupcakes (works amazingly for a low butter, milk free recipe!) , my nanna ALWAYS taught me to add 1/8th corn flour with 7/8ths plain flour to make her sponge cakes (white cakes in TCB?)  cakes and cupcakes as she said it was just what one does..?.. which is the same dealio as this kate flour minus the microwaving.. =)

For some reason I have never owned a microwave so.. goodness there HAS to be a way one can adjust recipes to work well with the flour currently on hand in Australia. If it does not suspend the same amount of butter, perhaps this is why my cupcake recipes work well with so much less butter, and added fat from a soy source.

But still going to do some more testing to find the perfect flour brand and mix for the different recipes..

Bread wise - So you would use tipo 00 for bread without adding gluten?  I thought tipo 00 was a very soft / low gluten flour…? I use it as well as cakes and bickies for pasta and pizza dough.
It seems to make a much more liquidy mix to the equivalent volume of other flours..

Posted: 19 January 2009 12:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  102
Joined  2008-04-28

Hi Giselle,

First of all, fantastic that you have the books. May I suggest you read the flour section in The Cake Bible very carefully, especially where Rose talks about the bleached cake flour and why it is required in some recipes.

In a nutshell: our issue here in Aus is that the cake flour some of Roses recipes require is bleached and unavailable. Bleaching denatures the flour to an extent where it reacts in a different way to regular non-bleached flour, hence Kate’s research into heat-treating the flour to achieve similar results as bleached flour. Also (not that I personally think it matters too much) but be aware that by law Australian flour has thiamin added - do a search on the blog for my previous post on this!

In answer to your other questions, I too have tried many alternatives (KateFlour is the best option thus far though)  but recently I have been doing extensive research contacting flour manufacturers in Australia and wait for it…... I may have found a local source of bulk bleached flour in Australia!.... I am awaiting a sample to be sent but will keep everyone posted on this!

For Bread I have used (in order of best results):
- Anchor Special Purpose Bread and Pizza Plain Flour - at Woolies and Coles
- Tipo Superfine 00 flour (imported from Italy) - you can get it fairly cheap in Leichardt or my local Woolies sells it
- Regular plain flour (I like Anchor brand but have used others - results okay but not as good as the two above

For Cakes:
- Anchor Special Purpose Cake and Biscuit Plain Flour - at Woolies and Coles
- Regular plain flour - White Wings, Anchor mainly
(both KateFlour’ed when required)

The baking powder I always use is McKenzies.

Also, as per one of my previous posts here, you may or may not be aware that in Australia what we grew up with as ‘Cornflour’ was made with wheaten starch not corn starch. Only recently you will see both ‘wheaten’ Cornflour and ‘Cornflour actually labelled on the boxes….. e.g. Nurses Brand cornflour is made from wheaten starch, White Wings from cornstarch….this will make a small but important difference in your recipes.

Hope this helps and good luck with the cuppie business….once I’ve finished “baking” my new little one later in the year I’ll be getting back to things myself!

Posted: 19 January 2009 11:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

Welcome Giselle - lovely name!  I look forward to reading your posts!

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com