Maple Mousseline?
Posted: 09 January 2009 05:51 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2009-01-09

I would like to make a maple flavored mousseline buttercream. Does anyone know if this is possible with maple syrup or maple sugar, or would I be better off just sticking with an extract for flavoring? Also, is the liqueur a required element…can anyone suggest a replacement (the guest of honor for this particular cake is a recovering alcoholic so I would really prefer not to use alcohol).

Posted: 09 January 2009 05:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  253
Joined  2007-11-29

it’s OK to use maple syrup, but you have to reduce the amount of sugar to compensate. i think its in the bible, but i cant find mine at the mo’.

you can leave out the liqueur and use vanilla or another extract instead.

jen

Signature 

http://www.ellavanilla.com

Posted: 09 January 2009 07:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

I do this all the time! and it works fine.  I believe if you look in the recipe for CLASSIC buttercream or NEOCLASSIC buttercream there is a variation for maple.  I use the amounts of maple syrup, extract and butter that the recipe calls for, but I use the amount of egg white called for in the mousseline recipe.  I cook the maple syrup with a thermometer to 248 degrees, rather than following the directions in the classic buttercream recipe…and voila!...it works just fine.  (Sorry that I don’t have my book with me or I would give you the exact measurements).  Good luck

Posted: 10 January 2009 04:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2009-01-09

Bill…if you get a chance would you mind filling me in on the details of how you do this…do you replace the sugar and water from the original recipe with the maple syrup? This is what I was hoping to do and it sounds like this is what you’re saying..please clarify for me. Thanks.

Posted: 11 January 2009 05:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

I wish I had my book with me, but I don’t have a computer at home…and I don’t have the book in the office…but here’s what you do.

Go to Neoclassic buttercream recipe.

There is a variation for Maple

Follow the amount of syrup, sugar, and extract for that recipe, but instead of egg yolks, use 5 egg whites with 1/4 cup sugar beaten into them (like the mousseline recipe) and heat the syrup to 248 degrees (like the mousseline recipe).  (I don’t remove any sugar from the syrup to compensate for the 1/4 cup added to the whites since I like things a little on the sweeter side).

I find it works fine.

Let me know

Posted: 08 October 2013 07:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2013-10-08
AuntieTee - 09 January 2009 05:51 PM

I would like to make a maple flavored mousseline buttercream. Does anyone know if this is possible with maple syrup or maple sugar, or would I be better off just sticking with an extract for flavoring? Also, is the liqueur a required element…can anyone suggest a replacement (the guest of honor for this particular cake is a recovering alcoholic so I would really prefer not to use alcohol).

Reducing sugar amount you use maple syrup.Use Brandy or Chambord for liqueur replacement .

Signature 

http://www.hotelsinlangkawi.org | www.primarkonlineshopping.net

‹‹ Buttercream Tutorial      The dreaded Genoise ››