Need help freezing yolks
Posted: 14 January 2009 09:19 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

I don’t seem to be able to freeze yolks successfully.  Every time, even though I add the 1/2 tsp sugar per yolk, they clump and lump when thawed.  Before freezing I stirred in 1/2 tsp sugar, and with some containers I added an extra teaspoon for the whole container (for 8 or 9 yolks).  I did add in yolks on top of some that were already frozen, could that have been a problem?

Yesterday, I tried to make a golden genoise from yolks I had been stockpiling, but it didn’t work.  I strained out a lot (but not all) of the clumps but was never able to achieve an egg foam with enough volume.  Despite endless beating (20 minutes!), volume only reached about half of what it was supposed to.  I did complete and bake the cake in a smaller pan, but it feels very dense and heavy.

Am heading out this morning to get another dozen eggs to try again, but it would be nice to figure out how to freeze yolks.  What do you guys think?

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 14 January 2009 12:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1421
Joined  2007-11-15

perhaps the yolks were not fully incorporated in sugar which is a MUST.

I use superfine sugar and a fork I pop broken all the yolks.  the spf sugar dissolves fully.

Elaine’s wedding cake was golden genoise (Cake Bible) and all yolks were frozen.  The only time a layer baked dense is when I forgot to add the water indicated.

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 15 January 2009 12:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

Hector, thanks for helping!  Perhaps what you said is true, the sugar was not fully incorporated before freezing.  Must use or make superfine for yolks!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour