Just tried making Mousseline..
Posted: 16 January 2009 07:45 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  913
Joined  2009-01-04

and I think it was a success!!!  I did the chocolate mousseline in TCB.
Here are my questions…
1. The mousseline looked really nice until I put the butter in. In the book it says “if it looks curdled, mix on high and stop adding butter” but the problem was that it was after I added ALL te butter. So I kept it on high for a bit and then it started looking better. Was this the right thing to do?? Can you OVERMIX the mousseline?
2. I have never tasted this before…is it supposed to taste like chocolate mousse?? (MOUSSE-line) It tasted really good, reminded me a lot of mousse.
3. Spread on cake very nice (BTW, the cake I made even though it gave me problems the scraps tasted really good), but one thing i am concerned about is, it doesnt look stiff enough to pipe flowers. In fact, it seems more soft than most of my piping frostings. Do you guys thicken it up to pipe certain things? If so, how??

Posted: 16 January 2009 08:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

Congrats!!!  Hector has successfully piped roses with the mousseline… do a search either here or on the blog - he explains how he rotates 2 pastry bags in and out of the fridge to keep the mousseline from becoming too warm to work with.  He also explains how he chills/freezes the roses once they’re piped.  Hope you’ll post a pic when you’re done!

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 16 January 2009 09:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

I’m done, it looks OK, i’d post a pic but i dontknow how lol.

Posted: 16 January 2009 10:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

Congratulations on your mousseline and cake, it sounds like they worked out just fine in the end!  If it makes you feel any better, my mousseline always curdles half way through adding the butter, but in the end seems to emulsify and come out OK.  I just made some lemon cuurd mousseline, one of my favorite flavors.

Would love to see the pics, are you having trouble figuring out how to on your computer or on the forum?

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 16 January 2009 10:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

NO i have a pic on my computer, i just dont know how to put it in a post

Posted: 17 January 2009 09:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

To post a pic on the forum, create a new topic (button upper right), and then at the bottom of the page that comes up, there’s a place for attachments.  Click on “browse”, and you can add your picture.  You will probably have to shrink it a bit before attaching, as there is a maximum pixel size.

Good Luck!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 19 January 2009 02:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1420
Joined  2007-11-15

I think your mousseline is fine from what you write.  Mine’s often looks curdled or soupy while adding the butter and/or towards the last drop of butter, but then it comes back smooth after a fast final whip, this is when the magic of perfect emulsification happens.

Personally, I don’t think you can over whip mousseline.  It is really a physically strong buttercream even after the flavor additions.  HOWEVER, I can’t stress enough to heat the sugar to the correct temperature in the recipe.

By the way, I am experimenting by using natural fruit juice instead of water when making the sugar.  Yesterday I made my Baked Hawaii 2009; when whipping the pineapple italian meringue, the flavor of pineapple was so great that I think why not use it for mousseline!  You could do the same with lemon juice, orange (similar to the lemon Neoclassic Buttercream).

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 19 January 2009 12:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  289
Joined  2008-08-13

Ooh Hector, great idea with using fruit juice instead of water for the sugar syrup! Sounds like it would really work. Do you think the high temp would affect the natural sugars in some fruit juices though? Would they caramelize or change the flavor slightly? Do report back after your experiments, would love to hear how it turns out.

Posted: 19 January 2009 03:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1420
Joined  2007-11-15

hi shimi, my italian meringue for Baked Hawaii, using fresh pineapple juice instead of water, was tasty, not burnt caramelized, but the texture was a bit grainy, which should smooth out when adding butter.

i also questioned if the fruit juice would “burn” but at 248, it is below sugar burning point, so it was just fine.

still experimenting.

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/