Tips for making creamy smooth Ricotta Cheesecake?
Posted: 19 January 2009 04:36 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2008-03-06

I have a friend who misses a creamy, smooth ricotta cheesecake she used to get in New York.  I make wonderfully creamy and smooth cream cheese cheesecake, but I’ve never made a ricotta cheesecake before - in fact, I’ve never even eaten ricotta cheesecake!

I’ve checked out a lot of ricotta cheesecake recipes and heard from some bakers that ricotta cheesecake will always be grainy.  What do you cake masters here think?  Is it possible to make a smooth creamy ricotta cheesecake?  Do you have any hints as to how to achieve one that’s not grainy?

I do have access to fresh ricotta, which some say is a requirement for what I’m looking for.  What about whipping egg whites? Or not?  Any advice/tips anyone here can help me with will be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Beth

Posted: 19 January 2009 05:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  102
Joined  2008-04-28

I know that pureeing fresh ricotta (either full or skim milk based) in the food processor until smooth prior to use is a technique that works well in savoury pies and flans, perhaps this will help with sweet ones too?

Posted: 19 January 2009 12:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

My family likes the ricotta cheesecake recipe found in Rao’s cookbook.  You just hand whisk the strained ricotta with the remaining ingredients until the mixture is nice and smooth.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 20 January 2009 05:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2009-01-20

I am italian, Italy is the home of ricotta.
Generally I used 1/2 philadelphia and 1/2 ricotta.
Ricotta is lighter but contains more water.
Using only ricotta do not get the same texture.
In Italy exsist many cake of ricotta, but are different to cheesecake.
Try to replace 1 / 4 philadelphia with ricotta cheese in your recipe.
Ricotta is different from industry to industry as flavor amount of water and fat.
Help you it hard, I not knowing the ricotta that you have.
By Cinzia.

Posted: 20 January 2009 01:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  598
Joined  2007-11-18

BETH:
  Good morning. What your friend is referring to is called in Italian “TORTA di RICOTTA”.
All the postings you have received are sound. It is very, very important as Member Patrincia wrote, drain it in the refridge over~nite. You can place it in the food proc to thin it out. It is best to use whole milk ricotta.
  Yes, Beth this style of baked product uses separeted eggs as well as partial Kraft Philly cream cheese, as what I use in my custard cakes. Amounts vary however. Patrincia mentioned that she has a receipe. Ask her for it. If you cannot secure a receipe post back & I will post one that I have using egg whites & 3, oz of Philly cream cheese.
  Good luck from Las Vegas,NV & enjoy the rest of the day.

~FRESHKID.