Batter volume question
Posted: 22 January 2009 03:46 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2009-01-22

Hello, I am new to this site and hoping you folks can help me.

I am at work and don’t have my copy of the Cake Bible, and I need to know how many cups of batter one recipe of the Downy Yellow Butter Cake makes. I’m making a stacked cake for a 50th birthday party, and doing a 10” and an 8” tier, two layers each. I’m estimating I’ll need 20 cups of batter, total, for all the layers, but I’m not able to figure out how many recipes of the Downy Yellow cake that will be.

Any assistance you can provide would be most appreciated… I am a semi-pro/hobby baker but my specialty is cupcakes, so larger layers are still a mystery to me! grin

Some photos of my work: http://www.flickr.com/photos/10031022@N04/show/

Thanks in advance!

Posted: 22 January 2009 04:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Tracy, welcome! If you refer to pages 491 to 493 of The Cake Bible (US edition), Rose has done a chart for the different sizes of cakes. All you have to do is pick the size of the cake pan and multiply it by the Rose factor and you can make any size cake you want using this chart. I know you don’t have TCB with you right now but hopefully this will help. The chart takes all the guess work out of having to calculate the amount of batter.

By the way cool cupcakes!

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 22 January 2009 05:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  42
Joined  2007-11-15

Tracy already knows how many cups of batter she needs for her pans.  She wants to know if anyone knows how many cups of batter she’ll get out of each batch of Downy Yellow.

(Hi Tracy!  Welcome!  This is a great message board)

Signature 

Not As Good As Pork Cracklins

Posted: 22 January 2009 05:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  42
Joined  2007-11-15

Thinking out loud here, maybe someone else can help.  Downy Yellow makes two 9x1 1/2 layers.  Chart on page 455 says a 9x2 layer pan has volume of 8 2/3 cups.

Signature 

Not As Good As Pork Cracklins

Posted: 22 January 2009 05:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

Welcome Tracy - fantastic photos!  I especially liked your Halloween cupcakes - so cute!  I just looked at the recipe and it doesn’t specify how many cups of batter it makes, but it does say the batter should fill 2 9-inch pans about 3/4 of an inch full, so I got out one of my 9-inch pans and a ruler.  Looks like each pan will take somewhere between 2.75 and 3 cups of water to equal 3/4 of an inch, so it seems reasonable to assume one recipe makes between 5.5 and 6 cups of batter.  Hope that helps!

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 23 January 2009 12:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  595
Joined  2007-11-18

TRACK K:
  Good morning to you. Welcome to our culinary club & happy to meet you as well. Tracy, I am going to be brief with your baking project, & give you some information.

To do the 8,inch & 10, inch X 2, inch deep cake pans & 2/3rds full to allow for the chemical leaveners you must conjur up exactly 85 3/8 oz of batter. Now then Tracy, If you wish the allocation of the ingredients from a ratio & proportion point of view from the TCB recipe….I can do it for you.
I can only type with 1, finger so it will take me about 30, minutes to post it to you. All I need is for you to say that you will do this baking project & that you ask me to do it for you.
  Good luck to you I know that you will succeed in your cool hmm  baking project. Enjoy the rest of the day.

~FRESHKID.

Posted: 13 February 2009 04:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2009-02-13

Hi.  I am Margaret and just found this wonderful resource.  I have made the downy yellow cake with great success.  Last night I tried the Golden Cream Butter Cake.  The color, taste and texture of the batter were great but the cake was a disaster.  I think I made 2 mistakes: I used an 8 inch pan and didn’t change the recipe AND my pan was 3” high.  If I go to a 2"H pan, can I get away with using a little less of the batter? From pg 455, I get 8 2/3 C versus 7.

Posted: 13 February 2009 05:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

Hi Margaret - Welcome to the forum.  I don’t have my copy of TCB in front of me, but a good rule of thumb Rose has mentioned on the blog is to not fill cake pans more than 2/3 full.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

Posted: 14 February 2009 09:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-02-13

Well-another tragedy.  I made the golden ceam butter cake yesterday. I used the exact recipe in the book for a 9X2 pan but used a 8X2 pan.  The batte filled the pan just over 1/2 (barely).  It rose beautifully but after 30 minutes, the center was still wet.  Itook it out anyway and it collapsed.  Any ideas?  Other than use another cake?

Posted: 14 February 2009 01:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4789
Joined  2008-04-16

If the center was wet and it fell, it was underbaked.  Leave it in until it tests clean.  Rose states somewhere on the blog that her recipes don’t work for 3” high pans (referring to your earlier attempt).  Pan size is amazingly important!  If you need to use a smaller pan than what the recipe calls for, you could always make a few cupcakes with the leftover batter.

Good Luck!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 14 February 2009 03:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

Agreed - your cake was under baked.  You can try the upside down nail trick, which will help the center of the cake bake faster.  Alternatively, reduce the batter in your pans, or you could try decreasing your oven temp by 25F and bake until it’s done.  Any time you change the pan size of Rose’s recipes, you’ll have to play around until you get the results you desire.  Can you borrow the correct size pans from a friend?

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

Posted: 15 February 2009 12:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-02-13

Thanks to all for your help. \
Patrincia- I’m ok on pan sizes- I picked up the 3” by mistake and didn’t realize it until the trouble began.

Rozanne- I’ve looked at the charts on 491-93 and I understand the concept but it appears that they are intended to be used with the Base recipes which follow.
and not to any butter cake in the book.  Correct?