Rum cake recipe
Posted: 23 January 2009 09:12 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  339
Joined  2009-01-22

Hi folks,

I’m sorry if this topic has been covered already, but I looked for another thread started on this topic and I couldn’t find any. Today I learned that another co-worker of mine has a birthday coming up soon and her favorite cake is rum cake. I looked in TCB (I actually brought it to work with me today) and I did not find a recipe for this (unless it’s under a different name that I am unfamiliar with). Do any of you have a recipe for a rum cake that you wouldn’t mind sharing?

Thanks,
Matthew smile

Posted: 24 January 2009 07:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2009-01-24

Hi..I have a good Rum Cake recipe..E-mail me and I’ll send it you smile

Posted: 24 January 2009 09:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4797
Joined  2008-04-16

Matthew, if you’re up for the challenge, the Cake Bible’s “La Brioche Cake” is a most fabulous rum cake.  It is brioche soaked in rum syrup and frosted with praline-custard buttercream.  The other alternative would be the golden grand marnier cake, but it is made with grand marnier instead of rum.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 25 January 2009 05:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  500
Joined  2007-11-24

I recall there being a Rum-Drenched Vanilla Cake recipe in Dorie Greenspan’s “Baking: From My Home to Yours.” Yes, here it is—p. 226-227. Here’s a link to someone who made the recipe:
http://wandasue22.blogspot.com/2008/05/vanilla-goodness.html

Or, you could go to Rose’s Cake Bible and start with some of her wonderful recipes!

One sort of rum cake is dense, like a pound cake or Bundt cake, flavored with rum and/or with a rum syrup or glaze. How about Rose’s Pound Cake with rum syrup? Take a look at her Lemon Poppyseed Cake to see how she does it. The recipe is posted on this page on Rose’s blog (along with a bunch of other good recipes):
http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/2007/02/the_missing_pbs_recipes.html

You could also make a sponge or genoise type of cake, soak it with rum syrup, and frost and fill it with something like a rum-flavored vanilla whipped cream—maybe with some pineapple and coconut for a tropical touch? Very light.

Signature 

Please visit my blog:
Bungalow Barbara

Posted: 25 January 2009 05:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  606
Joined  2007-11-18

MONSIEUR PATISSERIE:
  Good afternoon. Welcome to our culinary club & happy to meet you as well. Mathew, if you do not mind employing a “BOX” cake you can easily Google for a BACCARDI rum cake recipe There are many there. I looked about 5, years ago for a friend. Easy enough to make.
  Mathew ,if you wish to bake a simple cake from scratch like a yellow cake or sponge or pound cake & fill it in with a RUM CREAM
I can provide you with that recipe if you like.
  Good luck in your baking & enjoy the rest of the day.

~FRESHKID.

Posted: 26 January 2009 08:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  339
Joined  2009-01-22

Hi everybody,

Thank you for all of your responses. I will look through all the recipes and figure out which one I think I can make without messing it up.

Russ, I’ll send you a PM and whenever you have time you can send me a copy of your recipe.

Thanks,
Matthew