Too much milk in a pound cake recipe
Posted: 23 January 2009 10:57 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2009-01-23

When I finished mixing my pound cake batter this evening, I realized that I used an entire 12 oz. can of evaporated milk, rather than the cup that the recipe called for.  Usually I make sure that everything is measured just right, except for this recipe.

I just checked the cake with a toothpick and it came out clean, so hopefully the cake will be ok.  If it isn’t, what could (or should) I have done when I realized that there was too much liquid in there?

I didn’t want to start adding flour or anything because of the mixing order.

Posted: 24 January 2009 01:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  596
Joined  2007-11-27

The consistency of the cake might be off, but it would be slight because this is evaporated milk, not sweetened condensed

Without knowing the recipe, I would have made a second batch if I could do it quickly enough and shorted the milk in that one then mixed the two batters together.

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 24 January 2009 03:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  589
Joined  2007-11-18

LUVSTOSING:
  Good morning. Welcome to our culinary club & happy to meet you as well. Receipes are just guidelines no matter who authors them. There are times that we commit mistakes red face .... I know that I do. I do not stand there not knowing what to do. DO SOMETHING…If only to learn from the expeirence from the bake. In your case if you realized you batter was loose (thin)...you should have added flour 1 Tbls at a time till your concoction was thick enough at what you thought it should be.
  I do not want to remind myself of the many dumb things that I did in while baking, Including forgetting to mix in the chemical leaveners very recently in my carrot cake batter. I didn’t realize till it was in the oven for about 20 minutes. So do not feel alone in having baking problems…this is one way of learning to become good home bakers.
  Good luck & enjoy the rest of the day.

~FRESHKID.

Posted: 25 January 2009 09:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1419
Joined  2007-11-15

I am curious to read, how was the cake after it cooled?

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/