Two “breads” with one stone: Croissants and Doughnuts
Posted: 27 January 2009 02:55 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2008-09-02

Hello to all

I’ve been steadily practicing Rose’s croissants and while tasty (because it’s Rose’s recipe so it has to be) and I am still experiencing a lot of butter loss when I bake the croissants. I tried working the dough slightly more but I think that compromised on flakiness. Does everyone have croissants that lose butter like that? Is there a trick to this? Should I put the croissants in the fridge to harden up the butter before I bake?

Second question: I notice that Rose doesn’t have any doughnut recipes. As I just got a deep fryer for my birthday I am trying to scope out a Rose-quality doughnut. Does anyone have any books they could recommend to me?

Thansk so much to all the experts for your help

Anne

Posted: 27 January 2009 04:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  611
Joined  2007-11-18

ANNE JOHNSON:
  Good afternoon. Sorry to learn of your baking mishap. I am not certain I understand the problem you are having. When you state
“A loss of butter”...that to me means that it is “OOZING” out from the baking dough. If so that means the croissants were not sealed correctly or perhaps not blended into the dough properly. If the dough was chilled prior to placing same into the properly set oven temp. the dough would have coagulated enough before the butter had a chance to melt. It is a good idea to check-out your oven temp. at this time for temp. accuracy.

Anne, go to Google & type in Donut rRcipes…. you will get 1,000’s of recipes. Type in “KRISPY KREME”  donut copy cat recipes… they have those also.

Anne I hope all this helps you get started. Enjoy the rest of the day young lady.

~FRESHKID.  cool hmm

Posted: 27 January 2009 04:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2008-09-02

Thanks so much for your quick response. Yes my question was about butter oozing out of the croissants when I bake them. I usually let them rise overnight a final time and put them directly into the oven but this may be contributing to the butter ooze issue. I will chill them before baking next time and see if that settles the problem. If not, I may touch base again. 

I just found a copycat recipe too from KK, so I’m excited about trying that. Maybe I won’t have to buy a special book afterall.

Warmest wishes,

Anne