Two “breads” with one stone: Croissants and Doughnuts
Posted: 27 January 2009 02:55 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2008-09-02

Hello to all

I’ve been steadily practicing Rose’s croissants and while tasty (because it’s Rose’s recipe so it has to be) and I am still experiencing a lot of butter loss when I bake the croissants. I tried working the dough slightly more but I think that compromised on flakiness. Does everyone have croissants that lose butter like that? Is there a trick to this? Should I put the croissants in the fridge to harden up the butter before I bake?

Second question: I notice that Rose doesn’t have any doughnut recipes. As I just got a deep fryer for my birthday I am trying to scope out a Rose-quality doughnut. Does anyone have any books they could recommend to me?

Thansk so much to all the experts for your help

Anne

Posted: 27 January 2009 04:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2008-09-02

Thanks so much for your quick response. Yes my question was about butter oozing out of the croissants when I bake them. I usually let them rise overnight a final time and put them directly into the oven but this may be contributing to the butter ooze issue. I will chill them before baking next time and see if that settles the problem. If not, I may touch base again. 

I just found a copycat recipe too from KK, so I’m excited about trying that. Maybe I won’t have to buy a special book afterall.

Warmest wishes,

Anne