2 of 2
1/2 Sheet cake question again!
Posted: 29 January 2009 09:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  902
Joined  2009-01-04

This is a practice cake lol. Thats why I want to get the timing down right so when I make the actual cake, i will know how long to bake for. This is going to be a 1/4 sheet cake, because I am just going to make 1 layer in the pan, and then just cut it in half and stack it. WHen I make the actual cake, it will be 2 full layers (12x18) stacked (maybe 3 depending on how tall this practice one is).

Posted: 29 January 2009 10:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15
skiweaver9 - 29 January 2009 01:32 PM

yeah definately not doing that checkerboard cake lol. Start small here.
I got the bake strips (I figured they were cheap might as well buy them rather than make them) and I got a big cooling rack too (it was on sale ha). I also bought an oven thermometer and get this- I tested it last night and my oven bakes 25 degrees COOLER than the dial says.
This is really confusing now because when I made the last cake, I was thinking (and reading) that my oven might be baking too HOT, and now its just the opposite??

How long had your oven been pre-heating?  Was the thermometer in the center of the oven?  Did you open the door of the heated oven to put the thermometer in?  Opening the door can easily drop the temp 25 degrees, but it should recover fairly quickly.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 29 January 2009 10:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

well I had the themometer on the middle rack kind of to the left (because I wanted to put a pan in the middle), and I preheated it at 425 degrees until the light went off, THen I opened the door and checked the thermometer and it said 400…..

Posted: 29 January 2009 02:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

Your oven should cycle on and off periodically to maintain it’s temperature.  I’d keep an eye on the thermometer while baking or roasting to see if the thermometer read is constantly low, then adjust your temp dial accordingly.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

Posted: 29 January 2009 02:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Try preheating it longer. My oven used heat 25? cooler too. Now I let it preheat longer and it reaches the correct temperature. I used to set it 25? higher when I first found out that it was heating 25? cooler but then my cakes were overdone. So I tried the longer preheating and it works. Give it a try and hopefully it will work for you.

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 29 January 2009 02:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

One more thing…....if you have Shirley Corriher’s new book Bakewise, there is a very informative section on ovens and temperature.

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 29 January 2009 02:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

hmm thanks ill try that. I wouldn’t think that the oven would be off temp this soon, its only 3 years old.

Posted: 29 January 2009 03:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1074
Joined  2007-11-15

Also be aware that many of those thermometers you can buy are inaccurate themselves unfortunately.  It sounds like your oven must not have a window—the only way to try to get an accurate reading is to have a thermometer with a probe you can read outside of the oven.  Also, it is not unusual for the temperature to drop up to 25 degrees when you open the door. Barring buying a high quality recommended thermometer, I think the best way to check is to bake a reliable recipe (one of Rose’s), and see if the cake bakes in the given time.  If not, then you can tell if you have a problem.

Posted: 29 January 2009 05:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

yeah no window in my oven. I thought that if the temp would drop when i opened the door that i would see the gauge move at least…but nothing. I checked it again when i turned it up 25 degrees and started cooking my meal, and it was more accurate halfway through the meal- but again, i opened the door.

Posted: 29 January 2009 06:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15
Matthew - 29 January 2009 07:44 PM

bake a reliable recipe (one of Rose’s), and see if the cake bakes in the given time.  If not, then you can tell if you have a problem.

Excellent advice.  Matthew also mentioned probe thermometers - they work wonderfully and you can pick them up for around $10-15.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

Posted: 29 January 2009 09:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  339
Joined  2009-01-22
Rozanne - 29 January 2009 03:23 AM
Monsieur P?tisserie - 29 January 2009 01:18 AM

I see, I thought Ski was planning something like this one. I’m still curious how they made this in a block form rather than a circular one.

http://beigelsbakery.com/Cakes/index.php?page=Checkerboard

Matthew, if you look closely, there is buttercream holding it together. The chocolate and vanilla cakes were baked separately, cut into strips and then “glued” together with buttercream. Hope that solves your mystery.  smile

Of course! I should have noticed that before.

Ski,

One other thing to consider is that the temperature setting on an oven is more like an average, not a constant. From what I have been told, an oven temp continually fluctuates throughout the cooking/baking process and it averages out to be the temperature you have the oven set to. To be honest, though, I am not sure how much the temperature fluctuates in the process. That being said, a 25 degree temperature change does seem a bit much to me. I hope you get things figured out soon so you can finish your cakes with great results.

~Matthew smile

Posted: 31 January 2009 03:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  500
Joined  2007-11-24

I agree that the store-bought oven thermometers aren’t always accurate—I have two (same brand, but one is older than the other) and they disagree by about 20 degrees. Very frustrating!

Signature 

Please visit my blog:
Bungalow Barbara

2 of 2

‹‹ lemon meringue pie      Wilton products ››