3 of 4
stand mixer opinions
Posted: 23 June 2009 04:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  339
Joined  2009-01-22

Thanks again for the advice you guys.

Rozanne - You are correct, I have made the MBC before, but never with the stand mixer.

I made the MBC last night and the one problem I had was some of my syrup was not incorporated into the frosting. When everything was finished I ended up with a firm ball of sugar syrup about 1/2-3/4 the size of a golf ball. Amazingly, the frosting still tasted fine but you could tell it wasn’t as sweet as it should have been. What did I do wrong? Any tips will be appreciated.

I also made a 12x18 white velvet cake last night. I can’t get over how much easier frosting and cakes are to prepare using this thing.

-Matthew

Posted: 23 June 2009 05:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

Uh oh.  Either you cooked your sugar syrup to too high a temperature, or you allowed it to cool too much which prevented it from incorporating into the meringue.  I slowly pour directly from the pan into the meringue.  I find the syrup cools down too fast in a glass measuring cup.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 23 June 2009 10:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

Yes to what Patrincia said- did you let the syrup cool too much?  That happened to me the second time I tried to make mousseline, now I don’t transfer the syrup to a glass measure but, like P, pour directly from the pan as soon as it reaches 248F.  I don’t turn off the mixer, either, just aim between the bowl and beater.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 24 June 2009 10:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  339
Joined  2009-01-22

I’m not quite sure what happened with this. I did everything the same as I have before when making the MBC and this time I got the ball of sugar at the bottom of my mixing bowl. The only thing I did differently was making the MBC with a stand mixer rather than my hand-held mixer.

I was wondering if either of you also have the lift-to-bowl feature for your mixer? It doesn’t seem to have a lot of room to work with around the edge of the mixing bowl, especially while it is running. That’s what I have and it seems like it will be hard to pour the syrup into the mixture without losing some or getting it on the whisk as it’s whipping around. Wouldn’t getting it on the wire whip create the same problem as getting it on the beaters of a hand-held mixer? All this being said, it seems like that would be a lot easier if I can just figure out how to pour it directly into the mixing bowl. I’m concerned about what happens as I pour the syrup out and then the edge of the pot hits the top of the mixer and then there’s a portion of the syrup still in the pot and hard to scrape out because it’s being held so close to the mixer.

Thanks,
Matthew smile

PS - Julie, I did not make the chocolate cake yet. Things have been very busy for me lately and I have never gotten around to it yet. I’m making two 12x18 cakes this weekend so I did a practice run the other night since I have never made a cake this large. I can’t believe how much easier it was to make that cake with the stand mixer. So much easier than what it would have been using my hand-held mixer. By coincidence I am making the chocolate cake this weekend as well since that was the other cake my friends requested.

Posted: 24 June 2009 11:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

Yes, MP, I have the lift-bowl, too, and I know what you mean about not much space when adding things to the bowl.  I’m a little more used to it now, but I feel sort of like a pool player lining up a long shot when aiming things into the bowl.

When I pour in the sugar syrup I aim very, very close to the side of the bowl, just not actually touching the side of the bowl.  You could practice pouring in water with the beater running before starting your next batch.  You could also use your old mixer (gasp!) for buttercream.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 25 June 2009 09:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15
Monsieur P?tisserie - 25 June 2009 01:16 AM

I was wondering if either of you also have the lift-to-bowl feature for your mixer? It doesn’t seem to have a lot of room to work with around the edge of the mixing bowl, especially while it is running. That’s what I have and it seems like it will be hard to pour the syrup into the mixture without losing some or getting it on the whisk as it’s whipping around. Wouldn’t getting it on the wire whip create the same problem as getting it on the beaters of a hand-held mixer? All this being said, it seems like that would be a lot easier if I can just figure out how to pour it directly into the mixing bowl. I’m concerned about what happens as I pour the syrup out and then the edge of the pot hits the top of the mixer and then there’s a portion of the syrup still in the pot and hard to scrape out because it’s being held so close to the mixer.

Matthew - I too have lift bowl mixers.  I did a post on my blog about making IMBC… don’t know if it will answer any of your questions, but you might want to take a look.  I use a sugar pot with a pour spout now, but for years I just used a standard stainless steel sauce pan.  One with a rolled edge helps you pour more neatly.

http://butteryum.blogspot.com/2009/04/how-to-make-italian-meringue.html

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

Posted: 25 June 2009 04:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Matthew, I have the lift-bowl mixer too. Like Julie and Patricia, I pour the syrup directly from the pan into the mixer bowl. My pan has a spout and that helps tremendously. If I ever use a pan without one I find it difficult to aim correctly. Once I ended up with a lot of sugar at the bottom of the bowl too and it was because I poured too much of the syrup at one time with the mixer off which I think caused it to sink to the bottom. This was before I mastered the art of pouring the syrup with the mixer running.

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 25 June 2009 05:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15
Rozanne - 25 June 2009 07:29 PM

Once I ended up with a lot of sugar at the bottom of the bowl too and it was because I poured too much of the syrup at one time with the mixer off which I think caused it to sink to the bottom. This was before I mastered the art of pouring the syrup with the mixer running.

Agreed… I don’t stop the mixer while pouring.  There’s enough room to avoid the tines of the whip, don’t worry.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

Posted: 17 September 2009 06:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2009-09-16

I had an old Hobart-made KA that was wonderful.  When it got to be considered an antique, rather than putting money into refurb’ing it, I opted for the Pro 600.  It was a mistake.  Even after numerous emails and calls to KA, the issue was never resolved.  It just didn’t want to make bread/pizza dough.  It was so bad that I had to wear ear plugs to whip egg whites.  Once it died, conveniently several days after the warranty ran out, I looked elsewhere.  I now own a Bosch Universal, which also has its pros and cons.

Posted: 18 September 2009 09:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  907
Joined  2009-05-25

Great discussion. I have been wondering what I’d buy if/when my KA Artisan throws in the towel.  I have several KA attachments…some I’m attached to, some, well, not so much.  Anyway, I just assumed that I’d buy the Professional 600, but after reading several posts, I think I’d consider the Cuisinart.

Posted: 21 September 2009 07:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

My husband bought me the Cuisinart 7 quart stand mixer for my birthday this year.  I have been baking for a few years now using only a hand held mixer.  It is a godsend!! I absolutely love it.  My only complaint is that I need a second bowl, second whisk, and second paddle!!

Posted: 23 October 2009 06:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2009-10-23

Hello, everyone. I am Jay. I’ve been cooking for a long time, and doing some baking, and for whatever reason, this has been the year of cake for me.

I want to buy a stand mixer, but from everything I’m reading, here and elsewhere, I’m not sure I want to get a current-day KitchenAid. I wonder if buying a vintage K5 might not be the way to go. I remember using one when I was a chef 20 years ago, and it seemed indestructible. I’m looking for that level of dependability in whichever mixer I buy.

I wonder what kind of mixer Rose uses.

Thanks.

Posted: 23 October 2009 06:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

Welcome Jay!!  I think Rose has used every mixer under the sun!  An older model K5 is an excellent choice!  I have a 12+ year old one and it truly is a work horse.  My mother’s K5 is nearly 30 years old and she uses it constantly.  Good luck - I see them listed on ebay often, but they sell fast!

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

Posted: 25 October 2009 02:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2009-10-23

Thanks, Patrinca. I’ve got my eye on a few auctions.

I’m a little bit hesitant about buying something used that’s going to be at least 20 years old. I hate it when things smell like other people’s scented candles, incense, and air “freshener.” So I haven’t decided yet which way to go. I wonder if anyone has ordered a refurbished KitchenAid from KA’s online store. They’re $254, including shipping, instead of ~$350, and only have a six-month limited warranty.

Posted: 25 October 2009 05:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15
Jay - 25 October 2009 05:24 PM

Thanks, Patrinca. I’ve got my eye on a few auctions.

I’m a little bit hesitant about buying something used that’s going to be at least 20 years old. I hate it when things smell like other people’s scented candles, incense, and air “freshener.” So I haven’t decided yet which way to go. I wonder if anyone has ordered a refurbished KitchenAid from KA’s online store. They’re $254, including shipping, instead of ~$350, and only have a six-month limited warranty.

I don’t think a KA mixer would absorb odors like that - fabric yes, but metal no.  RE refurbished direct from KA - I purchased a 6qt.  It’s been fine, but it’s a newer model and I don’t think it’s as sturdy as my older 5qt.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

3 of 4