4 of 4
stand mixer opinions
Posted: 25 October 2009 07:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  535
Joined  2008-05-03

Jay, A friend of mine from Sacramento just bought a Professional HD series at Costco for 279 dollars.

Posted: 30 October 2009 12:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  102
Joined  2009-09-25
AnnieMacD - 25 October 2009 10:37 PM

Jay, A friend of mine from Sacramento just bought a Professional HD series at Costco for 279 dollars.

Ditto, I just came in from the CostCo in Spartanburg, SC; $279 USD New, AND I have a coupon for $‘s off any single item purchase there, but I am a little hesitant to buy after reading all the comments in this thread.  I have an older 4.5 qt tilt-head model that has been bulletproof, but it is at least 10 years old.

Signature 

Tom <”))))>(
(TDWyatt)
Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -Plato

Posted: 30 October 2009 04:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2595
Joined  2007-11-15

The great thing about Costco is they have a great return policy.  They’ll take it back long after manufacturer’s warranty expires.  You could always get one, give it a really good workout, and decide if you like it or not.

Signature 

Come visit me at

Blog:  http://butteryum.org
Twitter:  https://twitter.com/ButterYum
Pinterest:  http://www.pinterest.com/butteryum/
Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/ButterYum.ATastyLittleFoodBlog

Posted: 01 November 2009 02:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-25
Patrincia - 30 October 2009 07:29 AM

The great thing about Costco is they have a great return policy.  They’ll take it back long after manufacturer’s warranty expires.  You could always get one, give it a really good workout, and decide if you like it or not.

I am considering this, a refurb from KitchenAid is $239 plus about $20 for shipping, I’m trying to get off my wallet and get one, but I really like the idea of being able to return one if I really do not like it as much as the old one.

We’ll see, maybe I can justify the bigger one for the holidays… :rolleyes:

Signature 

Tom <”))))>(
(TDWyatt)
Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -Plato

Posted: 06 November 2009 07:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2008-02-23

Hi, All. There is nothing like coming late to the party, but I have been looking for an opportunity to share my experience with Kitchen Aid. For so many years I was a strong fan of KA stand mixers. I have an Artisan that I loved, but I thought the more powerful 600 Watt lift-bowl mixer would be better. However, I found it to be a pain to add ingredients. The Artisan tilts out of the way, but with the lift-bowl you have to carefullly try to get additional ingredients into a very small area, or stop and lower the bowl, but that is not the real problem. The real problem was that I burned up the transmission when making a double or double +1/2 load of sour dough bread. It was approximately1500 grams, or about 3 pounds. I have since changed completely over to a Bosch, and I love it. I regularly mix up 2500 gram loads, and it does not even get warm. At first I missed the pasta roller attachments, or dragged my Artisan (that I am saving for my grand-daughter) up out of the basement, but I found that I love the slower, more hands-on pasta rolling with a Marcato Atlas pasta roller. The attachments for that device are unbelievable. To conclude, I highly recommend the Kitchen Aid Artisan mixer as long as you are not going to very large batches of dough. I do not recommend the 600-Watt lift-bowl KA for anything.

I can offer more opinions about the Bosch, if anyone is interested.

Posted: 06 November 2009 08:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  865
Joined  2008-03-09

I regularly make bread in my KA, and 3 lb. of dough is roughly the outside limit for my 4 1/2 quart. You will most certainly burn out the motor, using high speeds with dense doughs. For instance, I don’t do bagels in the KA except just to get them started - only the looser doughs at 65% hydration and up, including sourdoughs. I try not to exceed the recommended speeds and stop the machine at the first sign of more than ordinary strain. Should qualify my enthusiasm though, and mention that this is an older KA. Purchased in 2004 when I understand they were better made.

My only problem is that the head wobbles a bit from side to side now. Something needs to be tightened, but it’s not clear what! Probably inside. I’m nervous to try and take it apart, so have been promising myself to see if there’s an authorized service agent in Victoria now. It’s ridiculous to have to ship it to Vancouver! Advice, anyone?

Posted: 06 November 2009 01:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-05-03

Kerry, welcome to the forum.  I too have burned out the motor of the KA Professional.  I only use it for non-bread baking now.  I also have the Bosch which handles smaller batches of bread just fine but I rarely use it for bread (it’s great for cookies) as I make bread in bulk and have two Hobarts…..

Posted: 06 November 2009 11:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 53 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-25

I have been considering a 10 qt Hobart, as the only reaon I am considering another mixer is that although my tilt-head KA is solid, 4.5 qts just barely makese enough batter for a 12 x 18 sheet cake, and multi-tier cakes are definitely multi-batches of batter.  Any suggestions on the Hobart mixers in the States?

Signature 

Tom <”))))>(
(TDWyatt)

Posted: 07 November 2009 10:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 54 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-05-03

Tom, I have the 10L Hobart model HSM10 and I love it.  It’s probably equivalent to the 10qt.  I make everything in it - bread, cakes, meringue, mousseline - the lot.  I never use the KA for bread - it just cannot handle the stiff doughs.  I also have a 20L Hobart but that’s another story!

Posted: 07 November 2009 10:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 55 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  865
Joined  2008-03-09

Colour me green, Annie!! Glad you’ve talked about this, though. I was already feeling concerned about what I would do if my KA broke down in the middle of a job. Also need a bigger capacity - 10 qt at least.

Loved the Hobarts that I’ve worked with at school and work, and I believe my older KA was actually made by Hobart for KA. Read that somewhere about the older models. Might have to go shopping soon. smile

Posted: 12 January 2010 09:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 56 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2010-01-10

I have the 4.5 KA and its about 10 years old.  Its been really great, but I’ve been looking for something larger.  Leaning towards the Cuisinart but I like the design of the KA better and I’m loving the glass bowl on the KA Anniversary Artisan, not so crazy about the bright red though.

Posted: 19 January 2010 07:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 57 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  131
Joined  2009-03-07
Monsieur P?tisserie - 02 June 2009 12:15 AM

Hi everybody,

I finally got my stand mixer! I ended up getting the KA Professional 5 Series Plus model. It’s this one:

http://www.shopkitchenaid.com/zoom.asp?edpZ=31937

I have a few questions for you folks. In the instruction manual it states that the mixer mixes faster than other mixers so the amount of time needed to mix a batter will be less than other mixers and warns the consumer about over mixing cake batters. Is this true? Are the speeds that much faster? And is it possible to over mix cake batter? If so, how do I convert directions in TCB from low speed, med speed, and fast speed to the numerical value on the stand mixer? Is it dependent on which model you have? My last few questions about this (for now) are about the attachments. If I understand things correctly, I should use the paddle for heavier substances like cake batter and cookie dough and I should use the wire whisk for eggs. Is this correct? What about frostings (any type)? Do I use the paddle or the wire whisk? Also, could you please tell me what speeds are best for cake batters and buttercream frostings? I’m super excited to use this thing. I’m guessing making cake batters and frostings, especially large batches, will be a lot faster than what I could do them in with my hand-held mixer (which I love). No more having to make the batches in installments because my hand mixer can’t handle the amount of flour and other ingredients!

Thanks,
Matthew smile

Hi Matthew,

I have this exact same mixer and I love it. I bought additional bowl at Amazon.com for a $39 ($20 less than at the kitchenaid store). They also sell the other attachments for less. WHen whipping BC I sometimes use the whip to beat the whites then switch to the paddle. This is my preferred way to do it. I just love the paddle for this model.  Sometimes I’ll use the whip to do the entire BC. This works well, but I think it takes longer for the whip to emulsify the butter and meringue. WHen beating on high to prevent curdling I use 8 to begin and 10 if that is not working. For mixing cake batter I use 4 or 5 as medium. 6 will overbeat the batter.  I hope that helps. 

http://www.everythingkitchens.com/ is where I got mine. No sales tax, no shipping and rebate with the cheapest price on KA mixers I’ve seen anywhere.

Susan

4 of 4