Changing size
Posted: 29 January 2009 05:39 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2009-01-29

Hi, I’m new here, and I’ve always wondered if there is any rule for changing the portions of a recipe; that is, if the recipe is for an 8” tin, for example, are there any rules so that i can use the same recipe for a bigger or smaller cake? Or do I just double or halve the amounts as needed? THANK YOU

Posted: 30 January 2009 06:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-01-29

Thank you! I was just wondering if there’s any formula that you can apply generally to any kind of cake? Shall get copy of TCB ASAP.

Posted: 01 February 2009 10:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-01-29

I can’t thank you all enough! I just ordered my first copy of TCB, it will take ages to arrive, I can’t wait. I’m sure it will become my new favourite book, as fast as this forum is becoming addictive to me!!  tongue wink

Posted: 03 February 2009 12:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  86
Joined  2008-04-23

If I’m not in a perfectionist mood and the pan size I’m using is roughly the size in the recipe, I just multiply the weights of ingredients by (area of actual pan base)/(area of recipe pan base). I’ve done 9” round-to-8” round conversion this way, 8x8-to-9” round (no change!), among others. This works for Sunday morning coffee cakes and other times when mental acuity is low and a moderate range of results is acceptable.  This is for flat cakes. I wouldn’t try it with loaf pans or angel food pans.

Cathy

‹‹ lemon meringue pie      Rose Factor Chart ››