HELP!!  My cake split in two…
Posted: 31 January 2009 01:00 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  49
Joined  2007-11-19

I was taking one of my 10” layers out of the pan and my hand got stuck underneath it.  It split completely down the center.  I now have two half moons.

Please tell me I can work with this.  I already have a full day ahead of me tomorrow and my husband is sick and sleeping, and I don’t want to disturb him with the KA in order to make another layer tonight.

Can I plaster the one layer together and use it for my bottom layer?  Wouldn’t the weight of the top layer hold it together?  It is just a two layer 10” round with an edible image.  So the only wieght would be the BC and top layer.

Signature 

“If we couldn’t laugh, we would all go insane.” ~ Jimmy Buffett

Posted: 31 January 2009 05:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4789
Joined  2008-04-16

So sorry that happened!

Your plan sounds fine to me, using buttercream to glue the pieces back together.  You could also use something like a clear starch gel (cornstarch, water, sugar, Rose has recipes for fruit glazes p.611 of PPB) to glue the pieces back together, might be less noticeable than buttercream when sliced.  Also, I’m sure you thought of this but I’ll mention it just because it looks like you’re posting late at night, be sure to put a cardboard round or something similar under the bottom layer for support.  Come to think of it, if you cement the bottom layer really well to the cardboard round (with BC), you might not even need “glue” at the break.

Get some sleep!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 01 February 2009 02:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  324
Joined  2008-03-19

It is totally possible to make a good-looking cake with a flawed layer. Frosting hides a lot of imperfections. I hope you didn’t stay up late and bake another layer.

I once made the Cordon Rose Banana cake from “The Cake Bible.” I used frozen bananas and didn’t bother to defrost them. The layers did not cook properly because the batter was too cold. One side of each layer was under-cooked. (I think I also forgot to rotate the pans halfway through baking). I cut off the bad half of each layer, and “glued” the two good halves together, frosted the whole thing, and gave it away as a gift. It looked fine, and the recipient loved it.

Posted: 03 February 2009 03:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1420
Joined  2007-11-15

oh dearly, no worries at all.  at my weekend job, we do pieced cakes all the time, even for tiered weding cakes. 

it is perfectly allowed to put some dollops of buttercream to hold the crack, or even none.  I would actually use the cracked layer for the top of your cake, as it would have buttercream on its top and bottom surfaces, plus the sides of buttercream and the bottom whole layer, the cracked pieces are well hugged and will cut well!!!

it sounds more logical to use the cracked layer on the bottom, but you risk pieces to remain on your cake board when slicing and serving.

how fun.

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 03 February 2009 11:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  49
Joined  2007-11-19

I put it on the bottom and it worked beautifully.  I thought about putting it on top but I was worried after the BC softened to room temp that it wouldn’t be strong enough to hold the layer together.  I just put a little BC on the cake board and a dot between the two sides for glue.  The layer was just out of the fridge so I think the cold cake hardened the BC to make the “glue” harden until I could get it decorated.

Signature 

“If we couldn’t laugh, we would all go insane.” ~ Jimmy Buffett