old purity cookbook, confusion on compressed yeast cake
Posted: 01 February 2009 11:59 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2009-02-01

I have a purity cookbook from 1936/37 and in the hot cross bun recipe it calls for a compressed yeast cake.  I have looked up the equivalents for other forms of yeast.  The only thing I’m having trouble with is there seems to be 2 sizes of yeast cakes.  Does anyone know what the standard size would have been in these recipes?

Thanks! grin

Posted: 01 February 2009 07:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  598
Joined  2007-11-18

CANDICE:
  Good afternoon. Wecome to our culinary club & happy to meet you today as well. Candice, the fresh yeast variety you buy in the supermarket is 5/8 of an oz (.625). Now then, instant yeast eqivelent is exactly 1/3rd of the amount that of the fresh yeast that is called for. No need to proof this type of yeast. If you employ the envelope type then multply the fesh yeast by 40% & that will be the amount. 1 tsp of eitrher weighs .11 of an ounce.
  Candace if you require any further assistance post back. I will be tuned in in the morning.
  Good luck & enjoy the rest of the day young lady.

~FRESHKID.

Posted: 02 February 2009 11:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2009-02-01

Thank you for replying.  I think my post was a little confusing.  I looked the compressed yeast cake up online and it says they come in 2 sizes.  I just wanted to know which size would have been used in the purity cookbook from 1936/37. 

Thanks for the help!

Candice   grin

Posted: 02 February 2009 12:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-18

CANDACE:
Good morning. I understand. I can tell you how much if I knew the amount of flour your recipe contains. Take the weight of the flour & multiply that by 2.25% & that will give you a fair amount of fresh yeast to employ.

EXAMPLE:
  15, oz of flour X 2.25%= .334%. That equates to 1/3rd of an oz. In the supermarkets the small little cakes of fresh yeast are 5/8ths of an oz. (.625) Just use 2 of them.
  Candace, I hope I was helpful to you. Remember young lady, If you require more assistance please post the recipe & directions & how you will be baking these yeasted lean bread buns. I then can be more helpful to you.
  Good luck & enjoy the rest of the day.

~FRESHKID. grin

Posted: 02 February 2009 02:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-18

CANDACE:
Hello again. I am very sorry, I didn’t change the signs. I made a math error. red face  Do not use 2 cakes of yeast…use just 1/2 of one. Move in haste & repent in leisure.

~FRESHKID.