Fondant covered cake with mousseline filling - question about timing
Posted: 03 February 2009 10:03 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2009-01-01

I have an 8-inch chocolate cake that I am going to fill with vanilla mousseline filling. This is going to be covered with fondant and decorated with dots(pearls) and then some fondant flowers. The wedding is in June so it could be a bit warm. How do I go about prepping the whole thing. I was thinking….
If the wedding is 6pm on Saturday.

Make the cake on Friday around noon, cool and fill and crumb coat with the buttercream.
That evening cover with rolled fondant , leave out for 2 hours and then refrigerate (or should I refrigerate immediately?)
The next morning , take out…let it come to room temperature and then decorate. Luckily it is not too complicated.

this is the topper for a cupcake wedding tree, by the way.

Are there any other suggestions? During the wilton class , I took the lady said to let the fondant harden for 24 hours but I don’t think that will happen in the refrigerator.

I was wondering if I could leave the cake in a cooler instead. Like put ice pack on the base , cover with towel and put the cake on top. It should remain cool but not as cold as the refrigerator.

Posted: 03 February 2009 01:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1421
Joined  2007-11-15

nikka, I hope you search the many forum entries about refrigerating fondant.  as a general rule don’t!

I would fill and crumbcoat on Friday or earlier, and refrigerate.  On Saturday, 2 to 3 hours prior delivery, cover with fondant and don’t refrigerate, then when harden place your pearls.

if you have a cool room or wine cellar, your fondant cake can be stored for days….

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 03 February 2009 01:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-01-01

Hi Hector, yes that is what I’ve heard about fondant. I have an empty wine cooler actually and it could be set at 60F, do you think that would work?

Posted: 03 February 2009 03:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

the wine cellar will work beautifully, and it is a dry environment.  there will be no condensation.

Signature 

Posted: 03 February 2009 03:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-01-01

Yipee! I don’t want to have to rush on the day of, since I have to pack up a 120 cupcakes to go with it too. So it would be really great if I could have my topping cake all taken cared of.

Posted: 04 February 2009 01:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

I know exactly what you mean!

technically speaking, fondant worse enemy is moisture.  Home fridges are moist.  Also, condensation occurs when there is a rise in temperature from below 45oF to plus 20 degrees, something like that.  I assume your room temp is 75, so from your wine cellar 60 is ok.  Don’t set your cellar at 45 because of the plus 20 issue.  at 60, butter firms up, so your buttercake and buttercream are nice.  60 is still too warm to preserve food (like fresh cream, raw eggs), but certainly delays decay.

condensation also depends on the rel humidity, a room with air conditioning running all day long helps reduce rel humidity, but you need to place your cake there fast as condensation is fast.

would you pls share a pic when your creation is done =)

Signature