Pet Peeves in the Kitchen
Posted: 06 February 2009 12:48 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

How about a thread dedicated to those little things in the kitchen that drive you nuts!

Okay, I’ll start….

It drives me absolutely crazy when someone puts an item in the microwave to heat up, but they set the timer for a gazillion minutes, never intending for their coffee (or whatever) to actually stay in the microwave for that length of time.  Before you know it, “Oops, the coffee boiled over.  Sorry”.  I’ve cleaned up way too many messes because of this… not to mention how frustrating it is when you glance over to see what time it is only to find 32:47 showing on the LED readout.  Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 06 February 2009 01:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  902
Joined  2009-01-04

I hate when someone else is in the kitchen the same time I am. Like get out of my way.

Posted: 06 February 2009 01:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  62
Joined  2008-01-14

Oh dear…this could be a long list:

1. Everyone *must* be in the kitchen (and in my way) doing something at a critical cooking moment. 
2. Improper loading of the dishwasher, which results in everything coming out dirty.
3. Putting my knives in the dishwasher!
4. My good chocolate disappears during a night-time raid, and I discover I have none on-hand when I’m ready to bake.
5. Resting/cooling/setting up times are ignored by others because “I just couldn’t wait”...Grrr, that really IS frustrating!
6. Forgetting to put something back in the fridge overnight, which means it’s ruined and has to be tossed.
7. Forgetting to put the lids back on securely.  OK, to be fair, this is something I do frequently and it irritates everyone.  Especially when the item in question falls and spills or breaks.  red face

I’m going to stop here…I’m getting cranky just thinking about this. smile

Posted: 06 February 2009 01:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

Great ones Sarah… the stories I could tell about the dishwasher!!! 

How about walking into a kitchen full of open cabinet doors - I hate that!

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

Posted: 06 February 2009 02:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  62
Joined  2008-01-14

I frequently walk into a kitchen full of open cabinet doors but that’s my crafty cat’s fault. LOL

How about forgetting to turn off the burner on the stove??!!  Ot turning off the pre-heated oven.

One of my all-time biggest peeves is * someone* filling the coffee maker with too many grounds, resulting in an overflow that requires major cleaning of machine and counter.

I love my family…I really do…just not in my kitchen. smile

Posted: 06 February 2009 02:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15
SarahM - 06 February 2009 06:10 PM

One of my all-time biggest peeves is * someone* filling the coffee maker with too many grounds, resulting in an overflow that requires major cleaning of machine and counter.

Along those same lines…
How about when “someone” preheats the coffee pot’s thermal carafe by filling it with hot water, but then forgets to empty it before beginning the brew cycle - resulting in a coffee puddle the size of Vermont (dripping all over the lower cabinet doors and floor).

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

Posted: 06 February 2009 03:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  765
Joined  2007-11-15

My OH doesn’t know where the waste bin is!!!!  whenever he does anything in the kitchen (not a lot!) whatever he has used is left out on the worktop, even if he empties a package, the wrappings are left where they land, as I say he doesn’t know where the bin is.  No matter how many times I nag,(I admit it!) he doesn’t take any notice,what is it with men? GRRRR There are lots of other little habits I could mention, very similar to what has already been said,  I must say I have been married for nearly 50 years, it doesn’t change, but I love him as he is!

Posted: 06 February 2009 10:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  630
Joined  2008-01-24

Oh Ho! We are going down that road?
My wife and I have an arrangement. I cook and she cleans. If I let her she burns water. What drives me crazy is that when she unloads the dishwasher nothing ever goes back in the same place. Sometimes the peeler is with the silverware then it is with the gadgets then it gets dropped into the pot drawer. And why do the pots require a different arrangement each time they get cleaned? It’s like letting women drive they never know where they are going. rolleyes

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

Posted: 07 February 2009 10:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  324
Joined  2008-03-19

I know I sound like a control freak by admitting this, but here goes.  I am really picky about who gets to work with me in the kitchen. There are certain people who cannot be in there when I’m working. I guess it’s like dance partners. Some partners know how to move around gracefully and not get in your way, and others don’t.

Another peeve is this: Leaving garbage in the sink, instead of rinsing everything down the disposal.

By the way, I have a suggestion for problematic coffee makers. Put the whole coffee maker in the sink when you brew coffee. This way, if the darn thing overflows, it all goes down the drain, not all over the counters and floor.

Posted: 12 February 2009 09:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2009-02-12

Hello all!

A couple peeves of mine (that have been mentioned here but still have to stress it again):

People in my kitchen/way when I’m trying to cook or bake! Like when I’m trying to make dinner and my husband is standing right in the way of the stove… do you not see me trying to get to the stove to stir something?!?

Leaving dirty dishes in the sink, expecting me to wash them…. you have two hands that work also!

People coming into my kitchen every two minutes asking when dinner is going to be ready.

Or trying to sneak bites of frosting or cookie dough when I’m baking….back up off it! If I have any extra or want you to try some, I will offer some to you.

Hmm…. that’s all I can think of at the moment.

Posted: 13 February 2009 10:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15
WickedMom - 13 February 2009 01:07 AM

People coming into my kitchen every two minutes asking when dinner is going to be ready.

Oh yes… that one gets me too!

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

Posted: 18 February 2009 04:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  86
Joined  2008-04-23

My beloved has been known, in the name of keeping the kitchen orderly, to undo things that I really meant to do. One afternoon, that meant turning off the oven that was preheating with a baking stone at 450, so that when the bread was ready, the oven was a cozy 250. His dumping water (sugar syrup) or dirty water (dark rum sugar syrup) out of pans and washing them, washing greased pans, and generally putting away mise en place are things I must guard against. On the other hand, he does tons of dishes, and really does keep the kitchen orderly, and only occasionally grumbles about cooking disorders. When he was traveling on business, I thought the kitchen was spawning plastic produce bags. Then I realized he must be taking care of them without my having appreciated it.

Measuring ingredients seems to make them more appetizing to my kids. Grated cheddar is just cheese, but 4oz of grated cheddar is a snacking opportunity! But I still like them in the kitchen with me.

However… when, through planning, frenzied effort, and luck, I get all the courses for dinner for a large gang ready on time and at once, call people to the kitchen to help themselves buffet-style, and NOTHING HAPPENS…well. ahem.

Cathy

Posted: 18 February 2009 05:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  902
Joined  2009-01-04

I dont like how i get yelled at by my boyfriend for putting egg shells in the sink. After I crack them, I throw them in the sink for the time being. Once i am done baking and I clean up, I THEN move them to the garbage. If he walks in mid bake though and see’s those shells in there he yells at me!  its like ‘leave me alone!”

Posted: 18 February 2009 07:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15
cdurso - 18 February 2009 08:55 PM

Measuring ingredients seems to make them more appetizing to my kids. Grated cheddar is just cheese, but 4oz of grated cheddar is a snacking opportunity! But I still like them in the kitchen with me.

Oh, this is sooooooo true!  (makes them more appetizing to the hubby too!)

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

Posted: 13 March 2009 03:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  27
Joined  2009-03-05

I’m single and my roommate’s idea of cooking is the local drive through, so unfortunately, all the things that annoy me in the kitchen are things I do myself!! tongue rolleye