1 of 2
My New Oven
Posted: 06 February 2009 03:34 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  535
Joined  2008-05-03

I’ve been pretty quiet for the past few months as I’ve been getting my new oven up and running.  It’s been a huge learning curve but am starting to produce some pretty decent pizzas and great bread.  I’ll post some pizza photos another day.  I just took deliver of 25kg of Caputo 00 Pizzeria Flour!!
Annie

Image Attachments
Oven3.jpgOven1.jpgOven2.jpg

Posted: 06 February 2009 03:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  632
Joined  2008-01-24

That is purely amazing.
But where is your anvil?

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

Posted: 06 February 2009 03:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  589
Joined  2007-11-18

ANNIEMAC~D:
  Good afternoon Annie. You say 25 KG, would that be a 50 pound bag of “OO” flour??? Again, tell me Annie, would that be the BLUE bag of CAPUTO “OO”??? OR the RED BAG???. If you employed this flour Annie did you employ it in conjunction with another flour???
What do you think of ithis flour in making your Pizza???
  Some time ago I bought a 15, pounds of it for Pizza baking.  I cannot remember if it made a differance in the pizza dough or not.
  Anyway, I hope you will enjoy it. I am sure you will make some great pizza using it.
  Good luck to you & enjoy the rest of the day young lady.

~FRRESHKID. grin

Posted: 06 February 2009 05:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  767
Joined  2007-11-15

My OH and I are really impressed with your oven!!!  How did you build it or did you employ builders to do it?  I’d love to hear how you use it and see the results of your endeavors, please post more details.

Posted: 06 February 2009 05:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1076
Joined  2007-11-15

Wow, I am so envious.  How wonderful it would be to have an oven like this!

Posted: 06 February 2009 06:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

Wow… the best pizzas I’ve eaten have been baked in a brick oven.  How wonderful for you!!!!

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 06 February 2009 10:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Annie, you are one LUCKY lady! Wish I had one of these. Looking forward to pictures of your pizzas.

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 07 February 2009 12:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-05-03

Here are three pizzas I made recently.  They just take about one minute in the oven and I make two at a time.  The oven has to cool down to bake bread so it works out quite well to make pizzas and then bread, but the skill is having the bread and oven ready at the same time.  Sourdough is much more forgiving than commercial yeast so make mostly sourdough now.

Freshkid, I have the blue bag of Caputo 00, and yes, it’s a 25 kilogram bag!  I make sourdough pizza dough and my starter is made with regular bread flour.  Then the remainder of the flour is 00.  I do like working with this dough as it is softer and much easier to work with.  I’m learning to toss the pizzas and this dough does not tear as easily as the bread flour ones.  As for the pizzas, I find the crust less chewy and shall report back on flavour when I’ve used it more.  In fact, I’ll so a side-by-side comparison and let you know.

Jeannette, I did NOT build it myself!!!!!  I had a local guy lay the foundations and he also built the roof.  An oven builder from Cumbria (Alf Armstrong) built the oven but the kit came from Italy.

I know how lucky I am - it’s been my dream for years to have a wood-fired oven.  The down side is that it’s a lot more work - it needs a lot of attention once it’s lit - and the clients will now not accept any bread that is baked in the electric oven - well they complain mightily!

Annie

Image Attachments
ThreePizzas.jpg

Posted: 07 February 2009 01:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-18

ANNIEMAC~D:
  Good morning Annie. I enjoyed your pizza pictures very much. The pizza’s appear to me they are “PIZZA MARGARITA"S (SP). types. Are they Annie???  By the way Annie are you in America??? We do have a few members that live outside of America but I do not know all of them.
  Good luck with your new splended oven. Oh yes Annie, I sincerely hope you do not mind I have been studying the PIZZA subject for many years now. I could not help notice your description of your pizza bake…“CRUST less Chewy.  I am going to ask you to humor me. My secret trick for that problem is to place your pizza pie coming from the oven onto a cooling rack for 3, minutes & then slice it. If you do my secret trick (LOL) come back & let us know if it works for you or not. question
  Enjoy the rest of the day & your new oven as well.

~FRESHKID.

Posted: 07 February 2009 07:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

Delish - I’d like to place an order for a Pizza Margarita please smile

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

Posted: 09 February 2009 02:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-05-03

Freshkid, The pizza is not strictly Margarita as they just have tomato sauce, mozzarella and basil.  The ones I’ve shown are all different but have some vegetable and proscuitto on them.  I make sourdough bases and will report back on the Caputo flour.  Also, I will try your suggestion of 3 minutes on a rack - I pull them out of the oven on a peel and cut them right away.  I do suspect the caputo flour will make a difference as it has much lower protein content.  I’m located in the nort-west of Scotland.  I have just located an Italian supplier in London who gets fresh buffula mozzarella in twice a week and some real Italian goodies like salami and all the other cheeses. They ship it next-day up here.  So, I try to make the pizza as authentic as possible.  I’m waiting for Rose’s post on her pizza experience when she was in Italy…..

Patrincia and all bloggers - you are welcome to a pizza but you have to come and pick it up!

Posted: 09 February 2009 03:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

I’ve been to your beautiful country 3 times (my father was born and raised in Glasgow).  It has been many many, years, bit if I ever return, I’ll have to remember to give you a ring.  smile

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

Posted: 09 February 2009 03:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-18

ANNIEMAC~D:
  Good afternoon to you Annie. Annie was my Mom’s name..she would have been 105 years old today. I suspected you were from out of town… I have never been across the pound. But & however, I do really bake the best shortbread cookies there ever WUZZZZ. It is a perfect Scottish recipe.
Getting to the flour, you are correct in your knowledge of the protein strength of the Caputo OO flour. It is a good close proxy to American bread flour approx. 11% to 11.25% protein strength… (Red label is slightly stronger.)But being a European you already know the major differance between the two it is that the OO has more mineral’s in it’s structure as most European flour have over American flour.

I have been baking pizza from scratch for many years now. I have never made one from a sourdough concoction. I am too lazy to start one & to keep maintaining it.  I make 5 pizza balls at a time.. 9, oz each. Freeze 4 & have the other that same evening for dinner. I make a NY style thin crust dough about 1/10 of an inch thick.
  Your pizza’s look very inviting. If I ever decide to go on a European vacation I am going to invite myself over to you home for a pizza dinner. I will bring over a bottle of American wine from California that we can share. Maybe I can come at the same time as Patrincia’s arrival. Partrincia..here I assumed with a name like yours you would be a Northern Italian descent. Well Annie my time is up. I enjoyed being with you once again. Enjoy the rest of the day my friend.

~CASS.

Posted: 09 February 2009 05:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15
~FRESHKID - 09 February 2009 07:34 PM

Partrincia..here I assumed with a name like yours you would be a Northern Italian descent. Well Annie my time is up. I enjoyed being with you once again. Enjoy the rest of the day my friend.  ~CASS.

Hi Casper - you’re right, I’m British and Italian (a drop of German too).  smile

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

Posted: 13 February 2009 08:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-05-03

Patrincia, I do remember that you have Scottish roots - would love for you to visit.  We can exchange pizza/bread for a cake decorating lesson (you giving the lesson, of course!)

Freshkid - it’s a deal - California wine and pizza sounds great.  In fact all bloggers are invited - only condition is to lend a helping hand.

Would love to hear more about your shortbread.  I make lots & lots of shortbread cookies and now add flavourings such as lemon/poppyseed and orange zest/choc chip.  My mother, of course, would hear of no such thing.  Traditionally, the ratio of 1:2:3 by weight for sugar, butter, flour was the standard recipe.  Some of the flour is frequently replaced with either rice flour or cornstarch.  However, as a disciple of Rose, I lower the sugar and up the butter and then add a little of the secret ingredient - salt.  It really does enhance the flavour.  For special orders I make up to 10kg of this in a day.  Oh, and only use the best unsalted butter.  The thing about shortbread is that it wasn’t given much in the looks department, but then when you take a bite and it melts on your tongue with this marvellous buttery flavour, mmmm!  In fact I’m going to have a piece right now!
Annie

Posted: 15 February 2009 07:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-18

ANNIEMAC~D:
Good afternoon Annie. I enjoyed reading your latest post. I must say that my shortbread recipe contains more butter than flour by weight. Most unique. Just recently about a week ago I did notice a recipe that used equal amounts. ALL recipes that I ever seen employ less butter than flour….it must be an American thing (LOL). I have heard of the 1, 2, 3, formula some years back but I never paid any attention to it. Annie your so right about the salt. When I help others in doing this type of recipe I make certain they understand there are rules that must be adhered to in order to bake the very best shortbread cookie. I do not give out my recipe but I do not mind helping another with the rules if they ask.. SALT as you mentioned…. RULE, 1/4 tsp. max, max, max. per 8, oz (2 sticks) of butter.
  Annie there are few others rules & of course I know you are aware of them as I am. The most important of all is the Butter. I use only “EUROPEAN STYLE BUTTER.”
  I have never tried infusing other flavors I just bake the plain VANILLA variety. Annie I do not see any differance in rice flour or using cornstarch. Cornstarch is muck less expensive..So I use cornstarch. My formula is adjusted as follows, 25% of the flour is cornstarch, ie, 16, oz of flour…becomes 12, oz of flour & 4, oz of cornstarch or rice flour. Annie I do noy use any liquid ingredients either. The special butter I use lubricates the cookie just perfect.
  Annie do you make your shortbread cookies similiar to my technique????.  I hope this post finds you well my friend. Enjoy the rest of the day.

~FRESHKID. grin

1 of 2