2 of 2
Well, maybe I will try the mousseline again…
Posted: 11 February 2009 06:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  596
Joined  2007-11-27

In one of the first pastry classes I took many years ago, the chef pulled the syrup off the heat at 235 every time and it worked.  I think there’s a range of temps for this buttercream to work, and it could well depend on the batch size.  For years, I pulled the sugar off at 248 and because the stovetop was just a bit of a walk to the Hobart in that particular kitchen, the temp would rise to 250 or 252 by the time I was pouring it in.  The buttercream was quite firm.  Now I’m pulling the syrup at 240 and it works beautifully as well and is a little softer but still works like a dream.

I think there’s a range at which this works; based on my experience, the minimum is 235 and the max is 252.

I use a probe thermometer (the type that is meant to be put into a roast while it is in the oven, and then the gauge is a timer/gauge combination that you can set to ring when it reaches the temp you set.  I’ve gone through at least a dozen of these in the last 10 years - the probe wire is very heat sensitive and doesn’t like being over a gas flame!  I’ve been lucky to find them at home goods stores, for about $15 and I don’t mind if they only last a year.

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 11 February 2009 08:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1419
Joined  2007-11-15

syrup continues to rise temperature after the heat is turned off, also sugar temperature rises never in 1 degree intervals but several at a time.

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 12 February 2009 01:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  86
Joined  2008-04-23

In recent Italian meringues, I’ve heated the sugar to 248 then dipped the bottom of the sugar pan in cool water before beginning the pouring process. The volume and firmness of the results were very satisfying.

Cathy

Posted: 12 February 2009 01:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

exactly, it is at exactly 248 to 250 where you will have the maximum firmness on the mousseline, and I am telling you this as I have to have this firmness on my tropical weather.  people with template weather would not notice if the firmness is less.

depending on how you are working and what equipment you use, most professionals have “rewritten this number” to 235 or so, which accounts for the sugar characteristic of keep heating and how long it will sit till dropped on the meringue.

Signature 

Posted: 12 February 2009 09:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  913
Joined  2009-01-04

So are all you guys saying that if you want a firm mousseline (say to pipe roses) you should heat the sugar to 248, but if you want a softer mousseline, you will be ok heating it only to 235???

Posted: 12 February 2009 07:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

that is an interesting practical outcome.  I would make my best attempt to heat to 248 (or less and wait till it reaches 248 while sitting on the pot till you drop it on the meringue).  Mousseline executed at 248 is still a dream to pipe and to frost.

/H

Signature 

Posted: 11 March 2009 12:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  21
Joined  2009-03-02

Viki - I read your post about the mousseline being “lumpy” - In my humble experience - I would say you just needed to beat it a bit more - I know that I always think it isn’t going to work - I am holding my breath as it stays lumpy - then I give it a whir on high for a minute or so just at the end and all of a sudden it changes.  I know others have said this, but I just wanted to give you some hope that you might just need to beat it more. 

Good luck - hope you do try it again.

Posted: 11 March 2009 11:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  30
Joined  2008-11-13

Thank you for your input, Albertagirl.  I just may be putting all of this info to use this week.  smile

Signature 

http://victoriasdays.blogspot.com

2 of 2