Checkerboard Fantasy…not quite my Fantasy
Posted: 08 February 2009 09:26 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  913
Joined  2009-01-04

So the marbled cake I made (checkerboard fantasy) was eaten tonight.
First off, it had wonderful flavor. No complaints on that end.

The one thing I did not like (and what people told me- family) was that it was crumbly. Not moist at all. while it had great flavor, I definately did not care for it being dry, and definately do not want to make this cake again to serve to people until I figure out a way to make this moist. I wanted to make it again (2 layer 1/2 sheet cake) for an upcoming birthday party but now I am afraid to do it again and have it come out the same way.

Any ideas???
Does anyone think freezing the cake had something to do with it?? I made it a week in advance and froze it. Or is this just how the cake is supposed to come out??
Please help! I need to figure out a way to make this cake more moist! (Or get another recipe that is moist!)

Posted: 08 February 2009 09:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  130
Joined  2007-11-28

I just got your PM about marble cakes.  While I won’t profess to be the foremost expert, I did get A LOT of practice last year.  I did end up freezing the marble layers for the wedding cake and got some complaints about the test cake being too dry.  I ended up syruping the wedding cake layers with simple syrup (from The Cake Bible), spiked with a bit of Frangelico liquer, which helped.

A lot of butter cakes are OK after freezing.  If, after freezing you think they’re a bit dry, I’d definitely recommend syruping.

Just my $0.02 - several members here have said they don’t syrup after freezing and get great results.

Signature 

It’s all about the food.

My Facebook Profile or follow @Cookin_n_Cussin on Twitter

Posted: 09 February 2009 09:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

This cake is really wonderful and shouldn’t be dry.  Did you vacuum seal and freeze your layers within a couple of hours of baking?  (that’s the very best way to preserve the freshness and moisture of your cake).  If you did, your cake was probably over baked.  Since you are baking this cake in a different pan size than the one suggested in the recipe, you’ll have to play around with the baking time/temp to get the results you desire.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 09 February 2009 09:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  130
Joined  2007-11-28

I’ve been exchanging e-mails… but I’ll put this out in the public thread.

A 12x18in sheet pan should use a heating core for even baking.  If you’re not using a heating core (or Patrincia’s ingeniously-improvised flower nails), you might be overcooking the edges before the center of the cake is done.  I used a heating core for the 12x18in marble cake (and maybe even 2, placed at the 1/3 and 2/3 across positions).

Signature 

It’s all about the food.

My Facebook Profile or follow @Cookin_n_Cussin on Twitter

Posted: 09 February 2009 10:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  913
Joined  2009-01-04

I used the magic strips and i used the heating core (flower nail). I baked it for 25 minutes. toothpick came out clean, and i checked it at 3 minute intervals stating at 18 minutes.  It seemed perfectly baked when i took it out. came out of the pan perfectly. One thing i noticed though is that the top looked normal when I flipped it out of the pan, I thought that the bottom of it looked ‘dry’ already. Of course i’ve never made this cake before so i didnt know if that was normal but it didn’t look as ‘put together’ as say a boxed cake mix does.

I let it cool on a rack and then wrapped it in plastic wrap and then in aluminum foil when it was completely cool. Then i put it in freezer.