1 of 2
Poured fondant buttercream recipe
Posted: 12 February 2009 05:53 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2009-02-12

I’m going crazy trying to remember I recipe I recently tried for a buttercream frosting. I remember you first made poured fondant, let it cool and then added some of it to creamed butter. Next came powdered sugar and then vanilla. It tasted better I thought than just a plain butter/sugar mix. The fondant seemed to mellow it all out a bit. Has anyone heard of this method or have a recipe? I’d be very grateful. Thank you.

Posted: 12 February 2009 06:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  26
Joined  2008-03-11

This sounds somewhat similar from the Chowhound site.

Whisk together in a saucepan 5 Tbsp flour and a cup of milk. Cook over medium heat until starting to thicken and cook for a minute or two more—don’t let it get too thick or it will be too stiff when it cools. Turn into a flattish dish (like an old-fashioned soup plate) and let cool, stirring now and again. If the roux is lumpy when it cools, just press it through a fine sieve.

Beat together a cup of unsalted butter and a cup of granulated sugar until light (you really need an electric hand mixer or stand mixer for this). Beat in the cooled roux about two tablespoons at a time. As you beat and add the roux, the frosting turns creamy instead of grainy from the sugar (I don’t know how it does that! It’s like a small, wonderful miracle.). Add 1-2 tsp vanilla and beat some more until it’s light and creamy. Fantastic frosting. I filled and frosted a chocolate cake with it and put lots of coconut in the middle and all over the top and sides.

Posted: 12 February 2009 07:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-02-12

This sounds good, but somehow I’ve got fondant on the brain. I must have made it, because I have some leftover fondant in the fridge. Will also try this one, too, so thanks for the heads-up.

Posted: 13 February 2009 02:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  26
Joined  2008-03-11

This is an interesting tidbit on Wikipedia:
“Fondant buttercream is made by creaming together equal parts fondant and butter.”  Unfortunately it did not offer any recipe.  I hope you’ll post the recipe if
you come across it again.

Posted: 13 February 2009 07:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-02-12

I’m going to try this, because it seems vaguely familiar. I remember kneading the fondant to soften it, and I think I did cream it with the butter. The frosting was much smoother than if made without. I’ve just made a humongous cake for my husband for Valentine’s Day, so it might be a little while before I try it. Thanks so much for the tip.

Posted: 13 February 2009 10:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Marcy Goldman had a recipe on her site for this. I remember seeing it. I may have printed it. I’ll check and let you know. You could get it from her site but you have to pay to get it. I don’t have a subscription but it was posted on her site as a “free” recipe.

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 14 February 2009 11:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-02-12

Unfortunately, it’s not on the current list of free recipes at the WEBsite. I’ll keep looking, but if you find it anywhere, it’s well worth having. Thanks so much.

Posted: 14 February 2009 01:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-18

I found the recipe.

Pastry Chef Fondant Icing
Use half butter and half fondant - and whip like wild until you have fluffy, silky icing. Add extracts and colour as required.

It was part of the Classic Buttery Vanilla Cupcakes recipe. I have never made this recipe. I hope this is what you were looking for.

Signature 

Posted: 14 February 2009 07:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-02-12

Maybe this is it, and I was wrong about adding confectioners sugar as well. I wonder if it’s a measure by volume, or by weight. Thank you.

Posted: 14 February 2009 09:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-18

You’re welcome! Sorry I’m not sure about volume vs weight. This is how the recipe was written (half butter and half fondant).

Signature 

Posted: 16 February 2009 02:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  266
Joined  2007-11-18

Yes! There is a recipe for buttercream using poured fondant for part of the powdered sugar. I’ve got it in the book The Sweet Side of Amy’s Bread. You basically cream butter and the poured fondant together with salt and vanilla until creamy, then gradually add in the powdered sugar. It’s really good. It reduces the graininess from the powdered sugar and gives the buttercream and more luscious mouth feel, and it has a creamier texture. They developed their recipe by simply using the recipe for basic confectioner’s sugar buttercream (found on the back of the bag of powdered sugar) and replacing a portion of the powdered sugar with poured fondant.

It’s heavenly on a yellow butter cake.

Also, they use poured fondant in their Cream Cheese Frosting instead of powdered sugar. AMAZING. I have never had a better, silkier cream cheese frosting.

Signature 

Visit my blog: The Mile High Baker at http://www.milehighbaker.blogspot.com

Posted: 16 February 2009 09:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  535
Joined  2008-05-03

Thanks, Roxanne, for reporting on the frostings from Amy’s new book.  I had read the recipes but was a bit nervous to try them and stuck with the true and tested.  But now…..  Appreciate the information.
Annie

Posted: 02 March 2009 09:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-02-12

Eureka! It ?was? The Sweet Side book from which I made the recipe. Is it permissible on this site to post actual recipe, if you credit the author? It really is terrific. Thank you all for your help!

Posted: 09 March 2009 02:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  28
Joined  2009-02-23

Yes - please post the recipe and credit the author!!  It would be great if you could post pictures of your results, too, or tell us how this turned out differently from regular buttercream frosting.

Posted: 09 March 2009 11:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  535
Joined  2008-05-03

Well, I know for a fact that the recipes from “The Sweeter Side of Amy’s Bread” ARE in copyright as I have the book here in front of me.  Crediting the author does nothing if you have not had their permission.  Go out, buy the book and support the author! 

Annie

Posted: 09 March 2009 05:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  28
Joined  2009-02-23

If it’s so terrific and you don’t think she would want it up here without permission, maybe you can reach the author and ask her.  Crediting the author plugs them and putting up one of their recipes that is really terrific will encourage people to buy her book.  Seriously, it is hard for most authors to get a lot of sales.  My local bookstores don’t carry that book and Amy’s not a wildly popular author so she would benefit from the exposure.

1 of 2