2 of 2
Poured fondant buttercream recipe
Posted: 15 March 2009 10:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  216
Joined  2007-12-17
Roxanne - 16 February 2009 06:17 PM

Yes! There is a recipe for buttercream using poured fondant for part of the powdered sugar. I’ve got it in the book The Sweet Side of Amy’s Bread. You basically cream butter and the poured fondant together with salt and vanilla until creamy, then gradually add in the powdered sugar. It’s really good. It reduces the graininess from the powdered sugar and gives the buttercream and more luscious mouth feel, and it has a creamier texture. They developed their recipe by simply using the recipe for basic confectioner’s sugar buttercream (found on the back of the bag of powdered sugar) and replacing a portion of the powdered sugar with poured fondant.

It’s heavenly on a yellow butter cake.

Also, they use poured fondant in their Cream Cheese Frosting instead of powdered sugar. AMAZING. I have never had a better, silkier cream cheese frosting.

Hi Roxanne,

I have The Sweeter side of Amy’s Bread and made the poured fondant last night.  I’m surprised how hard it is today.  Is this normal?
I’m going to use it tomorrow and it doesn’t say anything about heating it up to soften it before using it. 

Rose has the same poured fondant recipe in the Cake Bible and states that the fondant must be thinned with simple syrup to make it pourable.  Did you thin it or heat it up to make the cream cheese or buttercream frosting from Amy’s cookbook?

Have you tried the Swiss Meringue Buttercream from Amy’s book?  It’s wonderful too.  What other recipes have you tried in her book? 

Thanks,
Tammy

Signature 

Come visit my blog
http://reviewofrecipes.blogspot.com/

Posted: 21 March 2009 07:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2009-02-12

The recipe is so terrific I bought the book. I have lots (and lots) of baking books, but this is an addition to the collection which had some new things in it—including this recipe.

Posted: 24 March 2009 02:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  289
Joined  2008-08-13
tbartley2007 - 16 March 2009 01:42 AM

Rose has the same poured fondant recipe in the Cake Bible and states that the fondant must be thinned with simple syrup to make it pourable.  Did you thin it or heat it up to make the cream cheese or buttercream frosting from Amy’s cookbook?

I’ve tried making this after reading all the posts here. Since I don’t have Amy’s book, I just used equal amounts of butter and Rose’s poured fondant (by weight). It turned out really smooth and fluffy, and A LOT smoother than regular icing sugar frosting. The poured fondant is hard at first, but after beating with the butter it becomes soft.

Posted: 24 March 2009 07:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-17
shimi - 24 March 2009 05:02 AM
tbartley2007 - 16 March 2009 01:42 AM

I’ve tried making this after reading all the posts here. Since I don’t have Amy’s book, I just used equal amounts of butter and Rose’s poured fondant (by weight). It turned out really smooth and fluffy, and A LOT smoother than regular icing sugar frosting. The poured fondant is hard at first, but after beating with the butter it becomes soft.

Thanks Shimi.

Signature 

Come visit my blog

Posted: 25 March 2009 10:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18
shimi - 24 March 2009 05:02 AM

Shimi, I thought you had to use rolled fondant for this. I guess the poured one works as well???? Just curious.

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 27 March 2009 03:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  289
Joined  2008-08-13
Rozanne - 26 March 2009 01:11 AM

Shimi, I thought you had to use rolled fondant for this. I guess the poured one works as well???? Just curious.

You have to use rolled fondant?? I thought everyone was talking about the poured fondant! LOL See what happens when I don’t pay close attention, and have no access to the actual book? (Haven’t seen it in any of the bookstores here)

Anyway it works! Whether it’s the same consistency as the original recipe intended I have no idea. smile The resulting frosting is really fluffy.

Posted: 27 March 2009 10:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

shimi, my mistake. It is poured fondant. Sorry about the confusion.  red face I was thinking of Marcy Goldman’s recipe which uses rolled fondant.

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 06 April 2009 12:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  266
Joined  2007-11-18

Sorry guys! Missed the replies to my post completely (had ankle surgery around that time).

Tammy, The poured fondant is a bit firm straight from the fridge (it shouldn’t be hard as a rock though, if that happens you overcooked the sugar). I nuke it a few seconds at a time to soften it just a bit; then it beats with the softened butter just fine.

The Swiss Meringue Buttercream recipe in the book is one of my favorites. Usually I don’t have time to make Italian Meringue buttercreams (like Rose’s mousseline), so the Swiss Meringue style is a great alternative.

The scone recipes are incredible. The Cherry Cream Scones from that book are hand’s down one of my favorite scones (tip for these scones if you make them: chill them well or freeze them before baking; it helps to retain their shape and keep them from spreading too much in the oven).

Roxanne

Signature 

Visit my blog: The Mile High Baker at http://www.milehighbaker.blogspot.com

Posted: 06 April 2009 12:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-17

Thanks Roxanne.  I hope your ankle is healing well.

The poured fondant soften when I cut into it.  I made the cream cheese frosting.  Yum!

Thanks for letting me know about the scone recipe.  I bought some dried cherries the last time I went shopping.  grin  When chilling or freezing them, do you use more leavening to compensate for not baking them right away? 

I made the red velvet cake but used a 13x9x3 pan…  I used magic strips and a rose nail in the center but the center still took too long to cook. :-(
My cake was a bit dry and course .. I’m going to try it again.  I’ll lower the oven temperature or use the pans called for this time.  Totally user error.  LOL

Signature 

Come visit my blog

Posted: 06 April 2009 03:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  266
Joined  2007-11-18

Tammy,

If you are just freezing the scones no more than 3 days, you don’t need to change the leavening. I’ve never frozen them longer than that, so I don’t know what they would do if they were frozen longer smile.

For the Red Velvet Cake: Isn’t that the best Red Velvet Cake? I LOVE LOVE LOVE the flavor of that cake. The recipe does make a lot of batter, but it’s also a thin batter, so I’m not sure why it wouldn’t have baked just fine in a 9x13 pan…

I’ve baked it in two 9x2 inch pans, and it bakes up nice and tall. I’ve also baked it in 2 8x2 inch pans and had batter left over for about 10 standard cupcakes.

Best Red Velvet cake I’ve ever had, and with that cream cheese frosting…YOWZERS.

Roxanne

Signature 

Visit my blog: The Mile High Baker at http://www.milehighbaker.blogspot.com

Posted: 06 April 2009 05:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-17

Thanks Roxanne!  This is very helpful! 

I can’t wait to try the Red Velvet recipe again… I love YOWZERS.  LOL

Signature 

Come visit my blog

Posted: 18 June 2009 12:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2009-06-18

good morning everyone - i just joined in.  i am interested in the poured fondant and/or poured buttercream fondant recipe.  i have a 1/4 sheetcake to cover for this weekend.  would you please share the recipe. grin

Posted: 17 March 2011 03:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2011-03-17

Here’s the recipe that we used for our (at the shop I worked at for 25 years…lol) buttercream recipe.
You’ll have to rework the amounts.  ...unless you want ALOT lol

12 pounds margarine or butter
18 pounds shortening
50 pounds fondant

Tablespoon of vanilla
pinch of salt

:: Beat the margarine and shortening together using the paddle attachment til creamy.  Add the vanilla and the salt.
  Add the fondant abit at a time, beating inbetween.  Beat til creamy.  ::

The buttercream is delicious.

hope it helps

2 of 2