I made this pie today, and only after I’d assembled it did I realize that a) I used double the amount of cream called for in the recipe, b) I used more frozen berries than called for (just using what I had in the freezer and forgot to measure, oops!) and c) I only used a pound of fresh berries for the topping.
I never did get the berries to share as much juice as the recipe seemed to indicate was possible, in either the filling or the topping, but I forged ahead anyhow. It was only really an issue with the glaze for the top, since I only wound up with about half as much juice there as I would have needed to follow the directions exactly. I used the juice I had and half as much arrowroot to thicken, and brushed it on the berries. Next time, I think I’ll toss the slices in the glaze, just to get them all coated, however lightly.
Anyhow, despite my fumbles and inattention, the pie is GORGEOUS and delicious. It also sliced up quite nicely.
I’m guessing the extra half cup of cream I added is the reason the pie crust is SO full, but it’s still a very flavorful pie.
I’m thinking I might try a pineapple version of this one some day.