1 of 2
cake flour recipe and new kitchen aid mixer
Posted: 15 February 2009 05:29 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2009-02-15

Hello everyone,

I have never posted before and ask that you forgive any mistakes of manners. I do have a couple of questions about a cake I just tried to bake successfully and failed. I do not typically use cake flour; I tried a Martha’s butter cake. Now that I am retired, I have decided to learn how to use this new KA commercial mixer I have had for a while.

I followed the directions and attempted to adapt mixing times and textures against my mixer because there can be over baking. But, the cake fell in the middle and was cooled before I took it out of the pan. I only opened the oven once after the time expired; but it was still not cooked through until another 4 minutes.

Any suggestions or directions are most appreciated. The cake did taste very well according to my husband!

Many thanks!

Posted: 15 February 2009 06:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  601
Joined  2007-11-18

TOBSUE:
  Good afternoon to you. Welcome to our culinary club & happy to meet you as well. I am sorry to learn of your baking mishap.
We here are capable of helping you however we cannot do this without first seeing the recipe & it’s directions & how you handled the baking. There are many reasons for a failure as you have described. Sometimes it isn’t the fault of the baker but of the recipe.
Till then Sue good luck & enjoy the rest of the day young lady.

~FRESHKID. cool hmm

Posted: 15 February 2009 11:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1421
Joined  2007-11-15

welcome!  I suspect oven temperature is off.  Insert a skewer in the middle of the cake, if it doesn’t come clean then it is uncook, so bake longer or crank up the dial of your oven temperature as it may read over than actual temperature.

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 16 February 2009 09:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

Welcome tobsue!  and congratulations on your beautiful mixer!  It’s a little hard to trouble-shoot without more information, but it seems like your problem was either underbaking or not enough structure in the cake batter.  If underbaking, the center would not have tested clean when you pulled it out of the oven.  Did you test the center with a toothpick?

If the problem was not enough structure, your batter could have been undermixed, assuming you used the correct ingredients.  Did the recipe call for AP flour or cake flour?  Did you mix for the time specified?

Did the recipe call for cooling the cake completely in the pan?  Normally, you want to remove it sooner and cool it on a rack so it doesn’t get gummy.

Cakes are quite sensitive to changes in the recipe, I recommend the Cake Bible highly, it will help you learn your way around the science of baking.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 16 February 2009 08:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-02-15

Hello everyone,

Thank you for being so prompt. I was not ignoring your replies; we have a sick sweet rescue Sheltie that required care. He is dying and I am crying. I tried to bake the cake to cheer up my husband. TMI perhaps, sorry.

I use cake testers like I have for over 40 years, and while my 10 year old oven is a tad antiquated, I have a trust internal oven thermometer. In addition, I only opened the oven once after 40 minutes and then had to continue baking since the center was a tad moist.

Here is the recipe:

Yellow Butter Cake

Ingredients
Makes one 9-inch Square Cake
?2 sticks (16 tablespoons) melted unsalted butter, plus more for pan
?2 1/2 cups cake flour (not self rising), plus more for dusting
?1 1/2 cups sugar
?1 tablespoon baking powder
?1/2 teaspoon salt
?3 eggs
?3/4 cup milk
?2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9-inch square cake pan. Line bottom with parchment paper; butter parchment. Dust pan with flour, and tap out excess. Sift cake flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt together into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment.
2. Add eggs, milk, and vanilla to flour mixture. Mix on low speed until almost combined. Mix in the melted butter. Raise speed to medium. Mix until smooth, about 30 seconds.
3. Transfer batter to prepared pan. Bake until a cake tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 40 minutes. Let cool in pan on a wire rack. Run a knife around edges to loosen. Invert, and un-mold onto wire rack. Peel off parchment. Flip cake; let cool completely. If using cake for the vanilla-pecan sand castle, wrap cake in plastic, and refrigerate until cold, up to 2 days (or freeze up to 1 week).

It tastes quite well, but I need to be more skilled.

Thanks to you all!

Posted: 16 February 2009 09:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Tobsue, sorry to hear about your pet! 

As far as the cake goes, after looking at the recipe, the only thing I can think of is that there isn’t much beating there, a Cake bible butter cake gets beaten on medium for a total of 2.5 minutes.  Rose’s recipes are really foolproof if you don’t make any changes or substitutions, perhaps try the Cake Bible to rule out any faulty recipes?

Good Luck!

Signature 

Posted: 16 February 2009 10:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-02-15

Thank you, Julie. I will try to be extra careful about this mixer I have and mix the batter very carefully.
Thanks for your thought about our Winston. He is such a love.

Posted: 17 February 2009 03:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  601
Joined  2007-11-18

TOBSUE:
  Good morning. I am sorry to learn about Winston I hope your pet will fully recover soon. Sue my good news to you is your baking failure is not your fault but the fault is built in the recipe. I will now give you the adjustments you need to make in order to have a viable baked product. I have srutinized the recipe & it isn’t balanced in a baking science manner. I will not go into it unless you post back & ask for it. I can only type with 1, finger.
  You need to add 1, additional egg. You must reduce the liquid, ie milk to 1/2 cup (4,oz) from 6,oz. If you are employing cake flour you need more than 2,1/2 cups. use 3 cups. If you are using 2,1/2 cups of A/P flour is ok but pack it in tight . Use bleached flour if you have it.
The major problem your cake failed to bake in the middle (it did coagulate in the outer portions but didn’t in the middle has nothing to do with baking longer in time… but the problem is with a lack of structure… it could not coagulate fully because it was lacking the necessary building blocks.
If you re-bake this recipe with the modifications be sure you come bake & tell us how much you have improved as a baker. My opinion is not to re do this recipe.  Check out Miss Rose’s cake book TCB there you will find properly balanced recipes plus our learned members who can advise you as they have baked these recipes many many times. All you need to is ask their opinions.
They will all help you.
  Good luck to you & Winston. Enjoy the rest of the day.

~FRESHKID.

Posted: 17 February 2009 04:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-02-15

Thanks so much for your kindness, FRESHKID. Winston is terminal so there is no good news for his recovery. I am sorry that I cannot afford the TCB just yet. We keep going fine but no extra monies rescuing puppies. Thank you for such a kind deed. Again, my thanks to you all and I will try this revised recipe soon and report.

TOBSUE

Posted: 17 February 2009 06:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

tobsue, the Cake bible is available through most libraries, you could get a start on it for free!  And at some point, you may decide to get a used version, they can be found through many of Amazon’s re-sellers. 

Take care,
Julie

Signature 

Posted: 17 February 2009 07:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-02-15

Hello Julie,
Thank you. I am a frequent library type so I check it out for sure. And, I do know Amazon. Thanks, again!
TOBSUE

Posted: 18 February 2009 10:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  49
Joined  2007-11-19

To All~
Isn’t there a recipe for Rose’s Favorite Yellow Cake somewhere on this blog for Sue to try??  I am not sure how it compares to the All Occasion Yellow Downy in TCB but it would probably be very similar.

Signature 

“If we couldn’t laugh, we would all go insane.” ~ Jimmy Buffett

Posted: 18 February 2009 12:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Hector has posted the Downy Yellow Butter Cake video on youtube.

Thank you again Hector for all your hard work!

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 18 February 2009 03:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-02-15

As soon as I figure out youtube. . .I check it out. I have to postpose any serious activities as Winston is not doing so well.  Thanks to all of you!

Posted: 18 February 2009 03:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Sorry to hear about Winston. It must be really hard on you.

Here’s link, whenever you are ready.

http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/2009/02/downy_yellow_butter_cake.html

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 18 February 2009 03:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-02-15

You have no idea, unless you have experience. The first time was so awful. Now, five little sweeties later, my heart is whipstitched together! Our other rescue Sheltie mix is three and she is a handful! The Lord just keeps me going.

This posting stuff is pretty terrific; I found youtube and the cake recipe! It is awesome. . .thanks to you all and God Bless. Bye for now.
TOBSUE

1 of 2