1 of 3
Rose’s bread book….
Posted: 17 February 2009 12:34 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  81
Joined  2008-08-16

Rose has a new bread book in the works right?  I wanted to get one and wasn’t sure if I should get the 2003 one or wait…  Thanks, Pat

Posted: 17 February 2009 12:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1419
Joined  2007-11-15

bread bible is Rose’s only bread book.  the new book in the works is rose’s heavenly cakes.

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 17 February 2009 12:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-08-16

Thanks Hector.  I don’t know why I thought it was a bread book.  I guess I remembered seeing pictures of breads in the newsletters.  I read about it going to the re-writes and all the tabs on it, etc.  Thanks for setting me straight.  Do you have The Bread Bible?  I have the Pastry Bible and The Cake Bible.  They are great!

Posted: 17 February 2009 12:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

Hi Pat, I have all of the books written by Rose =)

Signature 

Posted: 17 February 2009 01:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-08-16

Just ordered the bread one!  Also the Artisan Breads in 5 minutes.  Yeah!  I saw on amazon that Rose put in a correction to a rye bread recipe.  Are there any other corrections that you know of or can you tell me where I should look for any book corrections from Rose?  Thanks!  It didn’t take much for me to buy that book.  I just love Rose’s books too!

Posted: 17 February 2009 08:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  535
Joined  2008-05-03

Hi Pat,

Here is the link to the Bread Bible corrections:
http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/2006/02/corrections_the_bread_bible.html
Good luck with your bread baking.  One of my very favourite luxury recipes in the BB is the Stud Muffin pp528 and don’t skimp on the cheese!
Annie

Posted: 17 February 2009 01:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  324
Joined  2008-03-19

Oh Annie, I just had to concur on that stud muffin recipe. It is really culinary nirvana. I have to treat it like it is dessert and limit my intake, because my bathroom scale would be climbing higher than it should.

Sadly (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it) I am the only person in my household who is in raptures over that bread. My kids are all probably too young to appreciate it, but I have a feeling that by the time they are teenagers, they will be as enchanted with it as I am.

Posted: 17 February 2009 08:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-08-16

Thank you so much Annie! I will be sure to make the stud muffin!  The name alone sounds yummy!  LOL! I can’t wait for my BB to come!  Has anyone else tried the Artisan Breads in 5 minutes…? Pat

Posted: 17 February 2009 09:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

so glad you found the errata page for all of Rose’s book, right on this blog.

stud muffin is on rose’s pbs video, and I should not say more, until the videos are officially posted on youtube.  please keep the interest up and blog a comment on the weekly wednesday announcements, as is grueling work to edit video and post on youtube, and I like to personally give my impression that rose is camera shy or so humble to be on video, so contrasty to the impecable technique she demonstrates on screen!

Signature 

Posted: 17 February 2009 10:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-08-16

I have to admit that I am not sure what you are talking about Hector.  Stud muffin is a recipe, yes?  She is preparing that recipe on a pbs video?  I am not on site too often but will try to rectify that a bit.  Will have to see what you are talking about re the Wednesday announcements as well.  Sorry to be so “green” and “out of it” on this…. If you want to explain more that would be great but if not, I understand.  People get busy…  I guess I am still a newbie on here…  It is a wonderful site though…

Posted: 17 February 2009 11:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

pat, affirmative to all your ?s

Signature 

Posted: 27 February 2009 04:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  767
Joined  2007-11-15

I, too, have just ordered The Bread bible after dithering for ages!!!  My son gave me a voucher from Amazon as part of his Christmas present so I made the plunge and I expect it any day.  I would love to have recommendations on the best and easier breads to bake to start me off, I am not the most confident baker with yeast.

Posted: 27 February 2009 04:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

that is great jeannette.  how about Basic Heart Bread.

i live yeast, and really don’t know what means when so many people say “not confident baker with yeast.”  i feel for you as I hear this so many times and as Rose mentions on her pbs baking magic video!  (upcoming).  I am so fortunate that my mother baked with yeast since before I was borne, so I found very interesting as a kid to watch the yeast bubble as it becomes life in contact with tepid water.  My recommendation is to take the plunge and go for it.  Yeast is very inexpensive and all you need is a little.

Once you get a few loaves of Basic Heart Bread going, I will love to introduce you to the sourdough variation, getting your starter is work but worth the 1 or 2 months, as once established is so hard to kill and easy to maintain as stiff starter.

Signature 

Posted: 27 February 2009 04:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  589
Joined  2007-11-18

JEANETTE:
  Good evening to you my friend. I am glad you will be owning the Bread bible. Truthfully, I haven’t tried many of the recipes. I asready purchased the ingredients for the corn muffins. I will let you know when I bake them. I have tried the pizza recipe some time ago. It is as good as any other pizza recipe. I have baked the Tryrolean ten grain torpedo loaf & the rye bread as well. All some time ago…I did enjoy doing them as you will. Jeanette my main interest in this book when I bought it wasnot for the recipes. I wanted to learn all that there is about “YEASTED LEAN BREAD DOUGH MAKE-UP & BAKING” for the purpose of a baking science viewpoint. I learned quite a bit about this subject as I have with other bread books. My only question I have with these recipes is that I believe she employs too much SALT. I enjoy using minumum amount of yeast & never 2X the table salt in weight of the yeast.
  I believe you can begin reading the stories about the ingredients first so that you get a handle of why you are doing the recipe the way she explains to do it. I think you can begin with a simple soft white bread/dinner roll recipe.  This is the type where you can still eat your mistakes. we might remember Jeanette that we do not learn so much from our succeeses but from our failures.
  So go at it. We are here to help you should you ask for it. I know you will succeed in your yeasted bread baking program using Miss Rose’s book. grin
  Good luck to from Las Vegas, NV…& enjoy the rest of the day.

~CASS.

Posted: 27 February 2009 05:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  535
Joined  2008-05-03

Hi Jeanette,

Great that you are getting the Bread Bible.  You will not regret it!  I agree with the others that you could start with a very straight-forward bread with yeast.  We are all here to help you, and we have all been beginners too.  As a tip, all Tesco stores give away fresh yeast for free.  Just go to the bakery section and ask for it.  They will give you about 50g - it’s a service to the communities.  Also, it’s VERY fresh - as they use so much - and will keep in a plastic bag in the fridge for about a month.  To substitute fresh yeast for the instant yeast Rose uses, you multiply the weight by a factor of 3 - if Rose says 5 grams instant yeast, you need 15 grams of fresh.  Now, my VERY favourite bread in the BB is the Stud Muffin, but I hardly ever make it as it’s just too good and I can’t stop eating it.  Tomorrow I am making the Prosciutto Ring and it too is dead easy. 

Jeanette, please post some pics of your bread(s).

Annie

Posted: 27 February 2009 05:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  767
Joined  2007-11-15

Thank you both for your quick responses!  I look forward to having your guidance, Hector when I embark on sour doughs.  I am not a complete novice with bread making but I do sometimes have failures which tend to be offputting, but then, as Freshkid reminds us , we only learn from our mistakes, or at least we should do.  I have ordered Rose’s book because I believe she gives good instruction and her recipes are very detailed and the other important point is that she uses weight as well as measurement in all her recipes.  I will let you know what i think of the book when I get it and what sort of success I have with the bread.  Watch this space!!

1 of 3