2 of 3
Rose’s bread book….
Posted: 03 March 2009 11:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  768
Joined  2007-11-15

I received my book yesterday and couldn’t wait to get at it!  I was reading it late into last night, still lots to get through though.  One little question I would like an answer to,  where does Rose measure her loaf tins, along the bottom or the top?  Most loaf tins I see have sloping sides, at least they do in th UK, and in our recipes it is usual to give loaf tin sizes in weight eg. a 1 lb size or a 2 lb size.  I know this is only a little thing but she gives so many different sizes in inches it gets a bit confusing. red face

Posted: 03 March 2009 01:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  598
Joined  2007-11-18

JEANNETTE:
  Good afternoon my friend. I understand your dilemma. However, as you know the actual size depends on the manufacturer, their
specs vary by 1/32nd to a 1/16th of an inch here & there.
  Being that you are questioning the size in inches & you are concerned about the proper amount of yeasted lean bread dough to place into it. Just remember that a 1, pound (16, oz) weight of bread dough will reduce by 1/7th of it’s weight due to oven heat evaporation. Of course that amount will vary due to the hydration amount in the concoction…but that amount will be a no matter. Sooo, my friend if you want a 1, pound loaf of bread add approx 2 1/4 oz to it to allow for the aforementioned.  Jeanette, I hope you do not mind I will post the math involved for the 1/7th loss. There are some that may not know of this arthmetic. Just enter 1 into the hand held computer & divide by 7 & walla the answer is .14%...Sooo now we use this # to multiply 16 oz & the result is 2,1/4 oz to be added to a 1, pound loaf. grin
  I hope this info helps you Jeannette. Good luck in your bread baking projects & enjoy the rest of the day.

~FRESHKID.

Posted: 03 March 2009 01:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

Jeanette, sorry, I don’t have an answer about pan size, here there’s pretty much a standard loaf that works. 

I did want to say congratulations on getting your Bread Bible!  Like you, I too am a yeast novice.  The two things I’ve learned so far are to use instant yeast (I ordered the Red Star from King Arthur and keep it in the freezer) because it is both easier to use and harder to kill, and to take advantage of the overnight cold fermentation in the fridge whenever possible- the superior flavor is really worth it!

For beginners, the pizza recipe is pretty easy, no kneading or anything, just mix the night before (with a spoon, don’t even need the mixer), pop it in the fridge overnight, and bring it out an hour or so before shaping/baking.  I make it with 50% semolina/durum flour, and the taste is divine.  The semolina isn’t as easy to stretch, so the shaping is a little harder, but I don’t mind because it tastes so good.

The brioche recipes are much more involved, but oh so tasty.  I haven’t done the stud muffin yet- I think I’ll wait for the video, I’ve learned so much from watching them!

Good luck and keep us posted on how you fare with bread!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 03 March 2009 01:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  535
Joined  2008-05-03

Hi Jeanette, 

Great that you got your Bread Bible.  Most of Rose’s recipes that use a tins, use the 2lb loaf tin.  If you already have tins, that’s the one to use.  If you are going to buy them, you can get them from Lakeland or de Cuisine—or many other places.  The pans are measured at the top.  If you go for Silverwood they tend to run a bit bigger than the standard 2 lb loaf tin.

Good luck and hope this helps.
Annie

Posted: 03 March 2009 04:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

Thanks to all,  I really appreciate your help and interest.  Annie, that is what I wanted to know really, whether my 2 lb tins would be the ones to use, I have 3 of those, all slightly different in size but because some can be straight sided and some have sloping sides they can be interchanged.  On reading further into the book in question I see Rose does offer some help in selecting tins (p583).  I will keep you all informed how I get on with the recipes.  wink

Posted: 08 March 2009 07:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

For those who may be interested, I have made my first loaf from the BB, I made the basic hearth bread, it turned out very well and we are enjoying it!  I will make it again and hopefully improve on it, I always learn from my first attempts but apart from the shape I am quite pleased with it!

Posted: 08 March 2009 07:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1420
Joined  2007-11-15

so glad dear J.  first timer experiences for the book are assuring.  the basic heart is on the back of gold medal bread flour!

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 08 March 2009 08:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Congratulations Jeannette. You must be so pleased. Enjoy the bread!!!!

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 09 March 2009 11:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  535
Joined  2008-05-03

Great Jeannette - you GO girl!  After responing to you last weekend I made the Proscuitto Bread - hope it will inspire you to make same.

Annie

Image Attachments
RoseProsc.jpg

Posted: 09 March 2009 11:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15
AnnieMacD - 09 March 2009 02:13 PM

Great Jeannette - you GO girl!  After responing to you last weekend I made the Proscuitto Bread - hope it will inspire you to make same.

Annie

Gorgeous!  I hope your family and friends appreciate your talents!

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 09 March 2009 04:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

That bread look so good Annie!

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 10 March 2009 11:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-18

ANNIE:
  Good afternoon my friend. Your baked bread looks good to me Annie…you did a good job. grin

~Cass.

Posted: 18 March 2009 12:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2009-03-17

I have a bread question that I haven’t been able to get a good answer for yet. It was suggested that I pose it in the bread forum, so here goes… I can make a wonderful loaf of bread. But… when I make a cinnamon swirl loaf (roll out the dough, smear with butter, sprinkle with cinnamon, then brown sugar - roll up tightly, no air bubbles) and cut into it after it has cooled, there are air pockets between the upper layers! It’s beautiful on the outside, but difficult to cut and toast. Any suggestions?  Momof10

Posted: 18 March 2009 12:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

Hmmm… I’m not the most accomplished bread baker here, but if this were a cake, I’d say the internal structure wasn’t set when it came out of the oven (aka underbaked).

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 18 March 2009 01:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-18

PAT:
  Good morning Mom. Welcome to our culinary club. You came to the right place for your culinary ????. Now then Mom…I do not like to speculate as to your yeasted bread mishap. Oh by the way I am sorry to learn of it. There are many reasons why you could have sustained this problem. My “GUESS” this is all it is right know is if your yeasted rich dough concoction formed a skin on it while it was doing it’s proofing cycle it would cause a separation from the bottom (Internal surface) of the top layer & the top of the dough. Pat, only you would know that if you allowed that to happen. question  If you do not think that transpired then I suggest to you to post the recipe, directions & manner of mixing,ete & we will get to the bottom of this yeasted bread dough baking problem of yours.
Till then, enjoy the rest of the day young lady.

~FRESHKID. grin

2 of 3