3 of 3
Rose’s bread book….
Posted: 18 March 2009 01:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1077
Joined  2007-11-15

Hi Momof10, I believe this is called shelling.  Here are a few things to prevent it.  One is to have less oven spring, or expansion of the dough during the first part of baking—you can accomplish this by fulling proofing the bread and by not steaming the oven.  I have found that adding slightly more flour to this particular recipe is also helpful.  The crumb of the bread will be a shade drier, but since I usually toast it anyway, I don’t notice.

Posted: 18 March 2009 01:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1077
Joined  2007-11-15

I just looked at my notes for this recipe, and actually what I did is reduce the water, not increase the flour, to 365 grams, or 60% hydration.  365g is 1.5 cups of water, plus 2 teaspoons.  I also looked, and there is a note about shelling at the end of the recipe.

Posted: 18 March 2009 05:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2009-03-17

OK, here’s the recipe I use to make the Cinnamon Swirl Bread:

3 - 3 1/2 Cups All-purpose Flour
1/3 Cup Vital Wheat Gluten
1 pkg. Yeast (I like the rapid-rise yeast)
1 3/4 - 2 Cups Hot Water
1/3 Cup honey or Brown Sugar
3 Tbsp. Butter
1 tsp. Salt
2 Cups Whole Wheat Flour

In a small bowl, combine yeast and 1/2 Cup of the Hot Water. Water should be about 115?F - 120?F. Stir well and set aside for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, in large mixing bowl combine the other 1 1/4 Cups Hot Water, Honey, Butter and Salt. Mix well. Add 2 cups All-purpose Flour and Vital Wheat Gluten, mix well. Add Yeast mixture. Mix well. Add Whole Wheat Flour and mix well. Add enough of remaining All-pupose Flour to make a dough that is barely tacky after mixing well. Knead by hand or by machine for 10 minutes, adding a little flour or water if neccessary. Grease a very large bowl well. Place dough in bowl and turn once to coat. Cover with wax paper and set in warm place to rise until double - about 1 hour. (I like to put mine on the hearth.) When risen, punch down dough and allow to rest 10 minutes. Have the following ready:
1/2 Cup Butter - Melted
Cinnamon
Brown Sugar

Divide dough in half. Roll out on floured surface to about 1/2” thick. A long rectangle shape is best. Smear 1/4 cup Butter over each roll. Sprinkle with Cinnamon, then with Brown Sugar… How much is up to you. Roll dough into a log shape starting at the short end. Place in well-greased loaf pans and turn once to coat. Cover with wax paper and allow to rise.(About 1/2 hour.) Remove wax paper and bake @ 355?F for about 35 minutes. When done baking, remove from oven and butter the tops of loaves. Allow to cool for 15 minutes before removing from pans. 

Do you see any areas of concern. Anything I could correct to avoid the air pockets? I could increase the bake time if neccessary as the loaf is usually a golden brown, not dark brown.  I tried this recipe again yesterday, omitting the gluten and using bread flour instead of all purpose flour. I didn’t let it rise till completely doubled before baking, allowing for extra rise in the oven. Overall, the end product was better. Still a small space between the upper layers, but less than before.  Any ideas?  Momof10

Posted: 19 March 2009 01:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  611
Joined  2007-11-18

MOMOF10:
  Good morning Mom. First I must apoligize to you as in my previous post to you I addressed you as “PAT”. I was confused because I had just read one of her posts.
  Anyway Mom thank you for posting the info on a timely basis. The recipe is in balance. You have been cautioned about Guarding
your concoction from getting a skin forming on it’s outer surface (SHELLING). If you mixed these ingredients for approx 10, minutes in your electric stand mixer I will presume the gluten was became fully developed. 
  Mom, what I have to say now I do not believe is causing your baking concern, however, it simply not the way to bake a yeasted lean bread nor a yeasted rich dough formula which is what you are baking. Take the three flours combine them & siftt them twice so that they are fully mixed. (I must say I do not know why Vital wheat gluten is employed in this recipe)
  Mom, the recipe then instructs you to let it double inabout 1, hour. Mom, this excersize is called “FERMENTING”.
Mom, fermenting takes place ONLY WHEN THE YEAST POWER IS EXHAUSTED.Wherther it takes place in 1, hour or 4, hours. How do we know when this cycle has taken place you may ask….Place your finger into the dough mass,about 1 1/2 inches deep if it shows resistance, it isn’t fully fermented.  FERMENTATION HAS TAKEN PLACE WHEN THE HOLE YOU MADE WITH YOUR FINGER STAYS. Now youcan do your “PROOFING cycle… continue with the recipe.
  Mom, Reminder when placing the shaped product into the pan “SEAM SIDE DOWN”. You may want to make small slash on top of the doughjust before you place into oven so in case there is some steam that wishes to escape. I am finished now. Please come back & let us know how well your baked product turned out for you Mom that is when you bake it again.
  Good luck to you & enjoy the rest of the day young lady.

~FRESHKID. grin

3 of 3