Rose’s bread book….
Posted: 17 February 2009 12:34 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  82
Joined  2008-08-16

Rose has a new bread book in the works right?  I wanted to get one and wasn’t sure if I should get the 2003 one or wait…  Thanks, Pat

Posted: 17 February 2009 12:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-08-16

Thanks Hector.  I don’t know why I thought it was a bread book.  I guess I remembered seeing pictures of breads in the newsletters.  I read about it going to the re-writes and all the tabs on it, etc.  Thanks for setting me straight.  Do you have The Bread Bible?  I have the Pastry Bible and The Cake Bible.  They are great!

Posted: 17 February 2009 01:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-08-16

Just ordered the bread one!  Also the Artisan Breads in 5 minutes.  Yeah!  I saw on amazon that Rose put in a correction to a rye bread recipe.  Are there any other corrections that you know of or can you tell me where I should look for any book corrections from Rose?  Thanks!  It didn’t take much for me to buy that book.  I just love Rose’s books too!

Posted: 17 February 2009 08:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-08-16

Thank you so much Annie! I will be sure to make the stud muffin!  The name alone sounds yummy!  LOL! I can’t wait for my BB to come!  Has anyone else tried the Artisan Breads in 5 minutes…? Pat

Posted: 17 February 2009 10:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-08-16

I have to admit that I am not sure what you are talking about Hector.  Stud muffin is a recipe, yes?  She is preparing that recipe on a pbs video?  I am not on site too often but will try to rectify that a bit.  Will have to see what you are talking about re the Wednesday announcements as well.  Sorry to be so “green” and “out of it” on this…. If you want to explain more that would be great but if not, I understand.  People get busy…  I guess I am still a newbie on here…  It is a wonderful site though…

Posted: 18 March 2009 12:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2009-03-17

I have a bread question that I haven’t been able to get a good answer for yet. It was suggested that I pose it in the bread forum, so here goes… I can make a wonderful loaf of bread. But… when I make a cinnamon swirl loaf (roll out the dough, smear with butter, sprinkle with cinnamon, then brown sugar - roll up tightly, no air bubbles) and cut into it after it has cooled, there are air pockets between the upper layers! It’s beautiful on the outside, but difficult to cut and toast. Any suggestions?  Momof10

Posted: 18 March 2009 05:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2009-03-17

OK, here’s the recipe I use to make the Cinnamon Swirl Bread:

3 - 3 1/2 Cups All-purpose Flour
1/3 Cup Vital Wheat Gluten
1 pkg. Yeast (I like the rapid-rise yeast)
1 3/4 - 2 Cups Hot Water
1/3 Cup honey or Brown Sugar
3 Tbsp. Butter
1 tsp. Salt
2 Cups Whole Wheat Flour

In a small bowl, combine yeast and 1/2 Cup of the Hot Water. Water should be about 115?F - 120?F. Stir well and set aside for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, in large mixing bowl combine the other 1 1/4 Cups Hot Water, Honey, Butter and Salt. Mix well. Add 2 cups All-purpose Flour and Vital Wheat Gluten, mix well. Add Yeast mixture. Mix well. Add Whole Wheat Flour and mix well. Add enough of remaining All-pupose Flour to make a dough that is barely tacky after mixing well. Knead by hand or by machine for 10 minutes, adding a little flour or water if neccessary. Grease a very large bowl well. Place dough in bowl and turn once to coat. Cover with wax paper and set in warm place to rise until double - about 1 hour. (I like to put mine on the hearth.) When risen, punch down dough and allow to rest 10 minutes. Have the following ready:
1/2 Cup Butter - Melted
Cinnamon
Brown Sugar

Divide dough in half. Roll out on floured surface to about 1/2” thick. A long rectangle shape is best. Smear 1/4 cup Butter over each roll. Sprinkle with Cinnamon, then with Brown Sugar… How much is up to you. Roll dough into a log shape starting at the short end. Place in well-greased loaf pans and turn once to coat. Cover with wax paper and allow to rise.(About 1/2 hour.) Remove wax paper and bake @ 355?F for about 35 minutes. When done baking, remove from oven and butter the tops of loaves. Allow to cool for 15 minutes before removing from pans. 

Do you see any areas of concern. Anything I could correct to avoid the air pockets? I could increase the bake time if neccessary as the loaf is usually a golden brown, not dark brown.  I tried this recipe again yesterday, omitting the gluten and using bread flour instead of all purpose flour. I didn’t let it rise till completely doubled before baking, allowing for extra rise in the oven. Overall, the end product was better. Still a small space between the upper layers, but less than before.  Any ideas?  Momof10