Pound Cake Question - Can I carve for 3D teapot and decorate?
Posted: 17 February 2009 01:02 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2009-02-17

Newbie here, both to the site and to cake baking outside my standby scratch chocolate cake and some decorating classes.  I am making a birthday cake for my MIL.  She loves pound cake and is expecting a decorated cake.  I am planning on doing a simple 3D carved teapot, and either using buttercream or fondant to decorate.  I’d also like to incorporate Rose’s White Ganache, most likely as a filling, as she loves white chocolate.  If I do fondant, I’ll use the ganache as the crumb coat instead of the buttercream.

I have a number of questions:
- Can I use Rose’s Pound cake recipe in a 6” round or 8” round?  According to TCB, the pound cake should be baked in a loaf pan or fluted tube pan.  I have scoured this site and the internet, and haven’t found much out there on the downsides to going with a standard round for this recipe - are there any? 
- If no to the first question, should I go with Rose’s Golden Buttercream cake instead? Does that have a similar pound cake taste since it is a butter cake?
- Will the pound cake taste OK with buttercream or the white ganache, or should I look to a different icing recipe?  I know pound cake doesn’t really need icing, in fact I made her a pound cake last year with berries and whipped cream that was really good.

I’m not sure if the pound cake request trumps the desire for a decorated cake.  If I can get a similar taste that will work better for the 3D carving and buttercream (which is her recipe), I think she’d be OK with it.

Any advice would be warmly welcomed. I have enjoyed lurking here reading all of your insightful comments and look forward to any help!

Posted: 17 February 2009 01:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

Welcome GG - I don’t recall anyone on this site mentioning baking this cake the way you’d like to.  Sounds like you’re going to have to take on a little pound cake experimentation to see how well the recipe bakes up in a 6 or 8-inch pan.  I would advise using a heating core to ensure the cake bakes evenly in the middle of the pan.  Please let us know how it turns out for you.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 17 February 2009 03:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  589
Joined  2007-11-18

GGLANDFRIED:
  Good afternoon. Welcome to our culinary club. I will only address myself to the question whether or not you can successfully bake the pound cake recipe as shown in the TCB in a round cake pan. The answer is YES!!! you can. The baking time may vary but you know that it will not be more than a few minutes at most. The amount of chemical leaveners most be adjusted…but not neccessarily so in maybe 2 cakes. They are both “NO MATTERS”.
This is what you are up against the amount of batter in the recipe is 23.25 oz. The amount of batter you need in a 6, in X 2, in round cake pan allowing for 2/3rds full is 19, oz. Same conditions for the 8,in pan you need to do a 1.5 X recipe…
  I hope this info will you help you make the right decision for yourself.
Good luck in your baking project & enjoy the rest of the day.

~FRESHKID.

Posted: 17 February 2009 10:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  596
Joined  2007-11-27

Hi there and welcome!

You can go with either recipe; I think the golden butter cake is a better match for buttercream or ganache fillings.  I’ve found that ganache is not “sticky” enough to let fondant adhere to it (it’s best to apply fondant to a cold cake) so if you use it as a filling, it would be ok; but you’d want to use a buttercream for the outside.  So if you use it between the layers, it might not be much of a contrast flavor-wise.  I like yellow or white cakes with fruity buttercreams like raspberry, strawberry, blackberry - I’m not so crazy about yellow cakes with citrus - to my taste the citrus gets dulled.

I’ve also found it is easier to use thin layers of filling between cake layers when sculpting a cake; so I will use 1.5” high layers with a quarter inch thickness of buttercream; it’s one of those trade offs you make in order to sculpt without the layers shifting.

Instead of a roly-poly tea pot, you could go for a taller, more shapely teapot, sort of like the ones you’d see on a sterling tea set where it is shaped more like a vase than a ball.  You could stack 4 6” round cakes and then curve the top and bottom a little more narrow.  Were you going to do a handle? I use gum paste for that (fondant is too soft), and I give myself plenty of time for it to dry.  And I make more than one in case I am not careful and break it! smile

Good luck!  She’ll love it!

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 18 February 2009 10:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2009-02-17

Thanks to all three of you who have replied!  I have modified my game plan slightly based on your advice and additional study of TCB.  After I re-read TCB’s Perfect Pound Cake Understanding paragraph (I love Rose’s detailed notes!) that recommends keeping the cake small to keep the melting texture, I did a pound cake test using two 5 1/2” round mini-pizza pans.  They seem to have baked quite nicely, but they dome (because pound cakes do that..) and I don’t want to lose 1/4 of my cake for each layer when I level for stacking. 

So, she gets two cakes!  The two test cakes will be topped with whipped cream and raspberries for her pound cake fix, and I will use the Golden Butter Cream Cake for the teapot.  I was really struggling with using her sweet buttercream on the pound cake because I think it will overwhelm it, so I think this will be a good solution.  I’ll go with the 5 1/2” rounds for the teapot also, so it’ll be a little smaller than I originally designed.

Patrincia - I don’t own a heating core, but it seems like every new cake project requires new tools.  Do you find it invaluable, or do you think I can use a rose nail in it’s place?

~FRESHKID - thanks for doing the math!  I want to go back to my old middle school and tell all the students that they will be using math in real life so pay attention!

Jeanne - Great advice - thank you, thank you, thank you!  I hadn’t worked with ganache before, and thought I had read that it would work under fondant.  Good to know it’s problematic.  My vision of the teapot was exactly what you described, tall and elegant versus squat and quirky.  I am planning on using gumpaste for the handles and spout, but haven’t worked with it before.  What do you think actual drying time would be on them? I know when I’ve modeled with fondant, it takes a long time depending on how big it is.

Party is next Tuesday, I’d better get working on my gumpaste and buy some cream for the GBCC.

Thanks again, I really appreciate all of you weighing in!

gg