Urgent Help needed with all occasion downy butter cake
Posted: 18 February 2009 04:06 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2009-02-18

I baked the All Occasion Downy Yellow Butter Cake on page 39 in the Cake Bible 2 weeks ago, adding 3T poppy seeds and zest of 3 medium lemons and 1/2 Tsp lemon oil to make a lemon poppy seed cake. I used an 8"x3” pan. I just counted out the egg yolks.  It never rose above the pan. The cake turned out beautifully and very light.  I do not know the brand of baking powder used.

I baked a cake yesterday, using the same recipe and pan, except this time I used the weight measure for the amount of egg yollks, instead of counting egg yolks.  The cake was very packy and would not cook in the center and the outside edges were very well done.

I made a new cake today, using the same recipe and pan.  I bought new Clabber Girl baking powder and used it for today’s cake and just counted out the egg yolks.  The cake rose way above the pan and then sank in the middle as soon as I took it out of the oven after 55 minutes of baking.  I let the oven preheat to 350 degrees for about 30 minutes before I placed the cake in the oven.  I used the 1T + 1 tsp of baking powder that the recipe called for.  I mixed it according the the mixing instructions in the recipe in the Cake Bible, just as with the cake 2 weeks ago.

I am making this cake for someone for tomorrow night and must have it made and decorated by then.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what is wrong?  It is raining outside, but I assume that does not affect the recipe in any way.

Please help!

Signature 

Please visit my blog:
http://betweenthepagesblog.typepad.com/

Between the Pages
Blogging about everything cookbooks leave out

Posted: 18 February 2009 04:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  77
Joined  2008-08-19

Hi There,
I’m certainly not the most experienced baker on the block, but I’m a chemist so I can tell you that adding an acidic ingredient to the recipe (lemon juice) will have an effect on the baking powder in the recipe.  I’m sure you don’t want the boring rundown on why, but the only advice I can give is to play with the amount of baking powder, or perhaps use a combo of baking powder and baking soda, which is basic and requires an acid to react.  That being said, there are many talented bakers on this site, and I’m sure others will have ideas and advice.  Good luck!

Posted: 18 February 2009 05:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-02-18
Gia - 18 February 2009 08:38 PM

Hi There,
I’m certainly not the most experienced baker on the block, but I’m a chemist so I can tell you that adding an acidic ingredient to the recipe (lemon juice) will have an effect on the baking powder in the recipe.  I’m sure you don’t want the boring rundown on why, but the only advice I can give is to play with the amount of baking powder, or perhaps use a combo of baking powder and baking soda, which is basic and requires an acid to react.  That being said, there are many talented bakers on this site, and I’m sure others will have ideas and advice.  Good luck!

Thanks for the reply.  I used lemon oil instead of lemon juice.  My understanding is that the small amount of lemon oil would not affect the baking powder.

Signature 

Please visit my blog:

Between the Pages

Posted: 18 February 2009 05:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-02-18
~FRESHKID - 18 February 2009 08:53 PM

CAKEDECOGIRLS:
  Good afternoon to you. Welcome to our culinary club & happy to meet you as well. I must be truthful I have never baked this recipe. So what I have to say to you is just simple intellience coupled with culinary math.
  In the first paragraph you state that you employed a 8,inch X 3,in. round cake pan to bake this cake. Notice the weight of the ingredients of the recipe…it equals 40, oz. In the pan that you employed 2/3rds full allowing for the results of the chemical leaveners would require 50.25 oz. in order for the top of the cake to reach the top of the cake pan as you expected I can’t see any hope for the batter coagulating so much as to reach the top of the pan employing 40.oz of batter…even using too much baking powder which in my opinion all you need here is just 2 to 2 1/4 tsp.
  You said you were delighted with the cake in so many words. If you wish to increase the recipe by 10,oz I can do that for you if you asked me to.
  Good luck to you from Las Vegas, Nv. Enjoy the rest of the day.

Thanks for responding.  I did not expect the cake to rise above the pan and the one that turned out correctly did not rise above the pan.  I could not figure out why the last cake I made rose above the pan when it was not supposed to.  I used the same amount of baking powder in each recipe.

Signature 

Please visit my blog:

Between the Pages

Posted: 18 February 2009 08:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-02-18
Matthew - 18 February 2009 09:15 PM

It is the 3 inch pan—it is hard to bake cakes well in these deep pans, as Rose herself says. Use the pan size recommended in the recipe if you have them, or try to find a recipe that has been formulated for this size.  I’ve tried 3 inch pans several times and finally gave up as I was never happy with the results.

Thanks for the advice.  I tried 2 1 1/2” pans and the cake came out great.

Signature 

Please visit my blog:

Between the Pages

Posted: 05 March 2009 03:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2009-03-05

Ok, I don’t have the cake bible yet - but I think I will soon. However, I want to try this cake because I’m trying to find the perfect yellow cake recipe. I’m watching the video to try to get the recipe, but she doesn’t say how much butter!!

How much butter is in this recipe??
Thanks!!

~Jessie

Posted: 05 April 2009 12:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  158
Joined  2007-11-21

Hi - I have just taken the Downy Yellow Butter Cake out of the oven, and it is cooling. As I watched it baking in new electric oven, I was panicky to see that at 20 min it was pulling away from sides (9 x 1.5” Wilton dark-colored pans), and the sides were already turning brown and crusty on the sides, and doming like moist souffl? from sides up into center. With a gasp I tested it, and of course the toothpick was wet, so I put it back in the oven, wondering what was going to happen next…At 30 mins it was a little darker on the sides and pulled away, looking a little crusty. Now the top had dropped almost flat, and ended up a light caramel color. At present it is cooling. I raced to the blog, checking ingredients in my head. - I used Florida Crystals sugar, Rumford baking powder sifted with Swansdown cake flour; softened unsalted butter; counted 6 egg yolks; whole milk.  Now, in retrospect I realize that since I was out of Bakers Joy, I sprayed the Teflon pans with Pam just in case - that may have hurt the cake sides? I now rememered a big one: I totally forgot to use my brand new Rose’ magic strips!!!! : (  The only other things I can think of is the oven. Since it is a new electric range, I put an old thermometer in tonight to see (Rose indicates they are inaccurate and most likely it is) as when the oven itself showed 350 the thermometer read about 348. The other thing I can think of would be KA Artisan speed: I used stir to combine dry, and 4 to mix. Maybe too low for structure? I have been having some problems with my Barcelona brownies too, so need your help, as always the best!! Many thanks.

Signature 

http://bakingsorceressapprentice.blogspot.com

Posted: 05 April 2009 05:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-21

Good afternoon Julie, Rosanne. Roxanne:
To tell the truth I bought these 1 1/2 inch pans to test this recipe and never even thought about their darkness. I now remember Rose’s caution about lowering temp.. My MagicLine 9 x 2 are alum color and are good. I questionned that Pam. but one more time of, ‘oh that won’t matter—’ What do you think about the Florida Crystal sugar? And about KA Artisan speed for structure. I thought 4. but there was recent discussion re Kenmore? Tonight is first try for
Mousseline! I’m sure my huband and I will gobble up my failed cake quite happily, and
I hope i can manage passable test on this daunting frosting since it seems to be your favorite, reliable one. Once again, thank you for your kindness and expertise. You do save me from feeling self defeated, and motivate to persevere as I run out to purchase Baker’s
Joy. Will report back

Signature 

Posted: 06 April 2009 10:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2009-04-04

I just baked this cake successfully y’day…  I used a 8x2” white pan (oil & flour) without the magic strip… I will try to get one next time smile

Try again Joan & good luck!

Posted: 06 April 2009 05:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-21

Hi Roxanne and everyone - Re the Florida Organic Crystals sugar, I found it on an old blog about 2005, wherein Rose says “This is my basic baking sugar when I want to sweeten without flavoring.” I also saw a chat on the blog by Rose sometime back, but have lost it.
PS, I have ordered 9 x 1 1/2 heavy aluminum pans from Fantes, so no more charred sides and brown bottoms from the dark-colored pans. ; ) - thanks for all the help. joan

Signature 

Posted: 06 April 2009 08:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-21

Oh my! I just watched Rose demonstrating the all occasion downy yellow butter cake, and observed - she is using a flat beater for the batter! When I made mine day before yesterday, I used the whisk beater. Feeling reeeeally dense, just like the cake!

Signature 

Posted: 07 April 2009 12:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-21

Thanks Julie!

Signature 

Posted: 08 April 2009 12:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-04-08

speaking of the downy yellow butter cake, can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?  I have baked this cake 4 times now in the past week and it seems to turn out much drier and crumblier than it should.  Not at all like I have heard others describe it.  I have been trying to find a reliable all occasion recipe and was hoping that this was it.  I love the simplicity of the recipe, but so far, not the results.

Posted: 08 April 2009 08:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-04-08

Thanks Roxanne,

I actually have never tested my oven with an oven thermometer, maybe I should get one.  As far as putting the batter together, I watched Rose’s video and thought that I followed the mixing times; 20 seconds between each liquid ingredient addition and approximately a minute and a half afterwards.  I have a scale and sifted and measured my flour onto it.  I used cake flour as requested and wondered if I might achieve better results with all purpose.  The only other thing that I can think of is the fact that I only had 1% milk.  Would that make such a significant difference in the outcome?  As far as the ingredients, all were at room temperature.

Posted: 08 April 2009 05:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-04-08

Thanks Roxanne,

I’ll give it a re-try. And as long as I plan on mastering this new adventure of baking, I think it would be wise to purchase an oven thermometer.  Thanks for the advice.

Kelly

Posted: 09 April 2009 12:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-04-08

Julie,

Thanks for the correction.  I double checked my recipe and I do have it written down correctly, I guess I just remembered it backwards.  However, I will definately try again and let everyone know if my next attempt at baking the downy yellow butter cake is successful.  Afterwards, I will attempt to master the chocolate version.  Thanks for your help.