1 of 3
Urgent Help needed with all occasion downy butter cake
Posted: 18 February 2009 04:06 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2009-02-18

I baked the All Occasion Downy Yellow Butter Cake on page 39 in the Cake Bible 2 weeks ago, adding 3T poppy seeds and zest of 3 medium lemons and 1/2 Tsp lemon oil to make a lemon poppy seed cake. I used an 8"x3” pan. I just counted out the egg yolks.  It never rose above the pan. The cake turned out beautifully and very light.  I do not know the brand of baking powder used.

I baked a cake yesterday, using the same recipe and pan, except this time I used the weight measure for the amount of egg yollks, instead of counting egg yolks.  The cake was very packy and would not cook in the center and the outside edges were very well done.

I made a new cake today, using the same recipe and pan.  I bought new Clabber Girl baking powder and used it for today’s cake and just counted out the egg yolks.  The cake rose way above the pan and then sank in the middle as soon as I took it out of the oven after 55 minutes of baking.  I let the oven preheat to 350 degrees for about 30 minutes before I placed the cake in the oven.  I used the 1T + 1 tsp of baking powder that the recipe called for.  I mixed it according the the mixing instructions in the recipe in the Cake Bible, just as with the cake 2 weeks ago.

I am making this cake for someone for tomorrow night and must have it made and decorated by then.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what is wrong?  It is raining outside, but I assume that does not affect the recipe in any way.

Please help!

Signature 

Please visit my blog:
http://betweenthepagesblog.typepad.com/

Between the Pages
Blogging about everything cookbooks leave out

Posted: 18 February 2009 04:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  77
Joined  2008-08-19

Hi There,
I’m certainly not the most experienced baker on the block, but I’m a chemist so I can tell you that adding an acidic ingredient to the recipe (lemon juice) will have an effect on the baking powder in the recipe.  I’m sure you don’t want the boring rundown on why, but the only advice I can give is to play with the amount of baking powder, or perhaps use a combo of baking powder and baking soda, which is basic and requires an acid to react.  That being said, there are many talented bakers on this site, and I’m sure others will have ideas and advice.  Good luck!

Posted: 18 February 2009 04:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1421
Joined  2007-11-15

Oh dear, Rose have just posted her Downy Yellow Butter Cake on youtube.  And her Lemon Poppyseed cake is upcoming on youtube, too.  Please stay tuned, you will love this version, and will be taken off the dark by guessing a new recipe.

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 18 February 2009 04:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  611
Joined  2007-11-18

CAKEDECOGIRLS:
  Good afternoon to you. Welcome to our culinary club & happy to meet you as well. I must be truthful I have never baked this recipe. So what I have to say to you is just simple intellience coupled with culinary math.
  In the first paragraph you state that you employed a 8,inch X 3,in. round cake pan to bake this cake. Notice the weight of the ingredients of the recipe…it equals 40, oz. In the pan that you employed 2/3rds full allowing for the results of the chemical leaveners would require 50.25 oz. in order for the top of the cake to reach the top of the cake pan as you expected I can’t see any hope for the batter coagulating so much as to reach the top of the pan employing 40.oz of batter…even using too much baking powder which in my opinion all you need here is just 2 to 2 1/4 tsp.
  You said you were delighted with the cake in so many words. If you wish to increase the recipe by 10,oz I can do that for you if you asked me to.
  Good luck to you from Las Vegas, Nv. Enjoy the rest of the day.

Posted: 18 February 2009 05:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-02-18
Gia - 18 February 2009 08:38 PM

Hi There,
I’m certainly not the most experienced baker on the block, but I’m a chemist so I can tell you that adding an acidic ingredient to the recipe (lemon juice) will have an effect on the baking powder in the recipe.  I’m sure you don’t want the boring rundown on why, but the only advice I can give is to play with the amount of baking powder, or perhaps use a combo of baking powder and baking soda, which is basic and requires an acid to react.  That being said, there are many talented bakers on this site, and I’m sure others will have ideas and advice.  Good luck!

Thanks for the reply.  I used lemon oil instead of lemon juice.  My understanding is that the small amount of lemon oil would not affect the baking powder.

Signature 

Please visit my blog:

Between the Pages

Posted: 18 February 2009 05:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1077
Joined  2007-11-15

It is the 3 inch pan—it is hard to bake cakes well in these deep pans, as Rose herself says. Use the pan size recommended in the recipe if you have them, or try to find a recipe that has been formulated for this size.  I’ve tried 3 inch pans several times and finally gave up as I was never happy with the results.

Posted: 18 February 2009 05:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-02-18
~FRESHKID - 18 February 2009 08:53 PM

CAKEDECOGIRLS:
  Good afternoon to you. Welcome to our culinary club & happy to meet you as well. I must be truthful I have never baked this recipe. So what I have to say to you is just simple intellience coupled with culinary math.
  In the first paragraph you state that you employed a 8,inch X 3,in. round cake pan to bake this cake. Notice the weight of the ingredients of the recipe…it equals 40, oz. In the pan that you employed 2/3rds full allowing for the results of the chemical leaveners would require 50.25 oz. in order for the top of the cake to reach the top of the cake pan as you expected I can’t see any hope for the batter coagulating so much as to reach the top of the pan employing 40.oz of batter…even using too much baking powder which in my opinion all you need here is just 2 to 2 1/4 tsp.
  You said you were delighted with the cake in so many words. If you wish to increase the recipe by 10,oz I can do that for you if you asked me to.
  Good luck to you from Las Vegas, Nv. Enjoy the rest of the day.

Thanks for responding.  I did not expect the cake to rise above the pan and the one that turned out correctly did not rise above the pan.  I could not figure out why the last cake I made rose above the pan when it was not supposed to.  I used the same amount of baking powder in each recipe.

Signature 

Please visit my blog:

Between the Pages

Posted: 18 February 2009 05:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  640
Joined  2008-01-24

Matthew is always right!

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

Posted: 18 February 2009 08:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-02-18
Matthew - 18 February 2009 09:15 PM

It is the 3 inch pan—it is hard to bake cakes well in these deep pans, as Rose herself says. Use the pan size recommended in the recipe if you have them, or try to find a recipe that has been formulated for this size.  I’ve tried 3 inch pans several times and finally gave up as I was never happy with the results.

Thanks for the advice.  I tried 2 1 1/2” pans and the cake came out great.

Signature 

Please visit my blog:

Between the Pages

Posted: 18 February 2009 10:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  282
Joined  2007-11-16

If you have 8x2 inch pans, 2/3 of this recipe fits perfectly in this size pan.  I’ve done it, it comes out just fine. I’ve never had the cake rise above the top of my 2 inch pans, no matter 8 or 9 inch pans.  It always bakes up perfectly flat and wonderful looking.  This is the only yellow cake I will make, thanks Rose!

Posted: 05 March 2009 03:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2009-03-05

Ok, I don’t have the cake bible yet - but I think I will soon. However, I want to try this cake because I’m trying to find the perfect yellow cake recipe. I’m watching the video to try to get the recipe, but she doesn’t say how much butter!!

How much butter is in this recipe??
Thanks!!

~Jessie

Posted: 05 March 2009 03:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  282
Joined  2007-11-16

12 tablespoons unsalted butter.

Posted: 05 March 2009 03:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4839
Joined  2008-04-16

Jesse, try the sour cream butter cake, the recipe is listed on this blog as Rose’s favorite yellow cake.  I like it even better than the downy yellow!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Peanut Butter Cups, All Grown Up

Posted: 05 March 2009 05:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Just thought I’d let you know that the recipe appears on the screen after the video, should you need more info re the ingredient quantities.

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 06 March 2009 06:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1421
Joined  2007-11-15

thanks Rozanne, for a minute I thought I may have cut that recipe section off at the end of the video!

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 07 March 2009 09:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

You’re welcome Hector!

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

1 of 3