3 of 3
Urgent Help needed with all occasion downy butter cake
Posted: 08 April 2009 02:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  266
Joined  2007-11-18

Yes! The 1% milk is the most likely problem. You must use the correct dairy with Rose’s recipes; It’s very important for the texture of the cake. If you use low-fat diary, there is not enough fat in the cake to balance the formula. This is the most likely reason for the dry and crumbly texture.

Also, make sure your oven is accurate before baking, as that is the second most likely reason.

Roxanne

Signature 

Visit my blog: The Mile High Baker at http://www.milehighbaker.blogspot.com

Posted: 08 April 2009 05:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2009-04-08

Thanks Roxanne,

I’ll give it a re-try. And as long as I plan on mastering this new adventure of baking, I think it would be wise to purchase an oven thermometer.  Thanks for the advice.

Kelly

Posted: 09 April 2009 04:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4823
Joined  2008-04-16

Kelly, you mentioned adding liquid and beating for 20 sec after each adddition, followed by 1.5 minutes at the end- those are reversed.  You should beat 1.5 minutes after adding the butter plus 1/4 of the milk, then following that beat 20 seconds after adding each third of the egg/milk mixture.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or less) Sour - Part II

Posted: 09 April 2009 12:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2009-04-08

Julie,

Thanks for the correction.  I double checked my recipe and I do have it written down correctly, I guess I just remembered it backwards.  However, I will definately try again and let everyone know if my next attempt at baking the downy yellow butter cake is successful.  Afterwards, I will attempt to master the chocolate version.  Thanks for your help.

3 of 3