please review and feed back needed on banana custard filling
Posted: 20 February 2009 08:25 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2009-01-27

Hello, I don’t know if my bananas will turn?
2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup cornstarch
7 cups milk
4 egg yolks beaten
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
9 med. bananas mashed

Never did this b4.

Posted: 20 February 2009 12:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  590
Joined  2007-11-18

VIVIAN~Q:
  Good morning. I have never made this recipe B~4 either. I would love you to make this recipe as written. Then report on it…because I will try it for myself. I just love bananas,
  The only thing you need to be concerned with here is that you employ sufficent thickening power. I scrutinized the recipe & for the approx amount of 60, oz of liquid batter (Less the weight of the bananas & sugar you do not have bare minimum thickening power)
  Vivian,You do have by weight, but the thickening power of flour is only 1/2 as much of cornstarch. EX: your recipe at minimum requires about 3.25, oz. of thickening power. The weight of the flour & cornstarch amount exactly that…but as you know flour only has 1/2 as much thickening power as cornstarch. Sooo, this recipe requires 1, oz extra of cornstarch or omit the flour & use 3/4 cup of cornstarch.
  I hope this info will help you. But remember Vivian, I have never made this recipe.
  Good luck to you & enjoy the rest of the day young lady.

~FRESHKID.

Posted: 20 February 2009 06:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2009-01-27

Dude, Thank u 4 that insight!! I will try it ur way, hey, if it doesn’t work I’ll make something else. If it does I will let u know.