Help with Grand Marnier cake from Cake Bible
Posted: 26 February 2009 03:47 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2009-02-26

Hi all I’m new here - I did a search on the Grand Marnier cake but did not find the answer I need.

I have made this cake twice now and both times it was very crumbly.  When you cut into it, it just sort of falls apart.  I’m an amateur baker so I don’t know how to troubleshoot this issue.  I know this is a very vague question but I hope somebody can help!

Thanks!

Posted: 26 February 2009 06:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2009-02-26

Thank you for your reply.  Oh I am quite certain the recipe is flawless - I rather blame my execution for the crumbly texture… I’m just not sure what I did wrong (twice).

I did use a bundt pan and I changed nothing about the recipe.  There are only 2 things I can think of that might be off:
1.  I used raw cane sugar instead of white sugar - although I use it all the time without issue
2.  I measured the cake flour then sifted it.  Am I supposed to sift then measure?

I mixed the batter in a Kitchenaid mixer following the directions… but I must be doing *something* wrong, as I don’t think the cake should be so crumbly!  I was hoping that crumbly cakes result from a known baking sin and someone more experienced could set me straight - but perhaps my problem is not quite that easy to diagnose smile