Piping tips and couplers
Posted: 26 February 2009 10:37 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  339
Joined  2009-01-22

Hi all,

I want to try to make the checkerboard cake on page 52 of TCB (U.S. version). In there Ms. Beranbaum recommends using a #9 (I think, I don’t have my TCB with me) round tip to dispense the batter from a pastry bag. However, I have looked for this size and cannot find it anywhere. Is this size a rare size? In all of the local places that sell these products that size is missing, almost as if it does not exist.

Also, I have found some piping tips (sizes are 100s) that seem to be “medium” sized and they’re too big to use with the coupler you would use with something like a #47 used in the basket weave piping but they’re too small to be used with extra large coupler used with the giant piping tip. Hopefully this description makes sense to at least one of you. What size of coupler do I need for the “medium” tips? I can’t find these locally either. I’m not even sure what size to look/ask for at my local retail stores.

Thanks,
Matthew smile

Posted: 26 February 2009 11:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1419
Joined  2007-11-15

Honestly, I haven’t used a coupler in years!  if this is the issue, best to use fit a pastry bag cut to fit tight.

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 26 February 2009 11:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4781
Joined  2008-04-16

MP, I haven’t made this cake but I’m assuming you pipe the different flavors of batter into the pan with the pastry bag, is that right?  If you use two different pastry bags (ziplocs work well), each with its own tip, then you don’t need a coupler.  A coupler is for when you want to be able to change tips during piping.  Just put the tip into the bag first, before the batter.  If you fold the bag just above the tip while you’re filling it, the batter won’t spill out the bottom.

As for filling the pan, I think any medium or large plain round tip would probably work.  Sometimes Walmart carries these, for cupcakes. 

Good Luck!

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 27 February 2009 05:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  767
Joined  2007-11-15

Couldn’t you just cut a hole in the corner of the ziploc bag and use that as a tip?  I have a tin especially for that cake and although I am not a cake decorator, I was thinking of doing it that way.  Rose says it makes it easier to pipe the mixture into the tin using a piping bag but I don’t think a tip is necessary, but I may be wrong.

Posted: 27 February 2009 07:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Jeanette, of course you’re right!  Loose the tips and couplers all together!!  People do that all the time for chocolate, because the metal tips can cool the chocolate and harden it.

MP, good luck, and let us know how it turns out.

Signature 

Posted: 27 February 2009 12:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

I would go with Jeannette’s suggestion too. Good luck Matthew and don’t forget to post pics.

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 27 February 2009 01:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

a little off the subject.  if u ever made gnochi, you know how tedious it can be to roll each little ball and press it on a fork or gnochi board to shape the indentations.  store bought or restaurant gnochi hardly is made with any indentations because or the labor!  I love my indentations so I only make gnochi for and with dinner guests… when my guests are asked to arrive 2 hours early to indent gnochi!

but until last week, when I made ROse’s chestbut pasta and accidentally added too much liquid, I ended up with a pasta dough that ressembled a wet bread dough, so why not use a piping bag and large star tip to pipe rows for the most perfectly ridged gnochi on a piece of parchment in 5 minutes!  then let it air dry half way, cut into 1/2 inch pieces and voila!

never again do I need to worry about wet pasta dough for gnochi or toughtening the gnochi from using too much flour during shaping.

Signature 

Posted: 27 February 2009 05:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  324
Joined  2008-03-19

Hector! That technique for making gnocchi is so brilliant! I can’t wait to try it! Thank you a million times!

Posted: 28 February 2009 03:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

dear c, u r welcome.  I am guessing that a piping machine must make store bought gnochi!  I will serve my chestnut gnochi tomorrow for my friend Isabella from Bologna!

Signature 

Posted: 28 February 2009 08:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-22
jeannette - 27 February 2009 09:12 AM

Couldn’t you just cut a hole in the corner of the ziploc bag and use that as a tip?  I have a tin especially for that cake and although I am not a cake decorator, I was thinking of doing it that way.  Rose says it makes it easier to pipe the mixture into the tin using a piping bag but I don’t think a tip is necessary, but I may be wrong.

Of course!!! I’m such a doofus. I can’t believe I didn’t think of doing that myself. I didn’t realize it was legal to use piping tips without a coupler.

I’ve never made this cake before so I hope it turns out well so I have good pics to share. Are there any other tips you guys have for this cake? I worry about my batter spreading in the pan once I remove the separator device and then my checker patter isn’t so checkered and I get a marbled look instead. Thanks for all the advice, you guys.

~Matthew smile

Posted: 28 February 2009 09:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

MP, we’re rooting for you!  and your pics don’t have to be perfect- I’ve posted pics of a mix of things, some pretty nice and some only so-so.  Everyone has always been so nice and happy to see the pics, even the ones I thought were sort of ugly.  Such a nice online community!

Signature 

Posted: 03 March 2009 04:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  253
Joined  2007-11-29

walmart and michael’s carry the large couplers. i buy the large disposable piping bags at michaels and use them for all my piping. for the large tips i just cut a large hole in the end of the bag and put the tip in place (that’s what she said). i haven’t had good luck with baggies, they invariably leak on me,.

jen

Signature 

http://www.ellavanilla.com

Posted: 03 March 2009 06:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

I’ve used baggies in emergencies… I find the freezer ones hold up much better than the others.  Also, I buy large, 16 or 18-inch bags at my local cake shop - .50 each.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 04 March 2009 09:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  913
Joined  2009-01-04

I use the disposable piping bags as well, and i only use couplers for the small tips. I dont like the large couplers they are just TOO big,  I do what Jen does, I just put the large tip in the bag without a coupler. I also have an assortment of large tips and so it kind of is annoying when I want to change tips.  I dont know why they can’t make smaller couplers for large tips….? 
Oh i tried a ziplock once, it didn’t work for me lol

Posted: 06 March 2009 07:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-22

Thanks you guys. By the way, Jen, I loved your response. You had me laughing so hard. The people in my office think I’m crazy now. I read your response and I started laughing and couldn’t stop. All I could think about was Michael Scott and The Office.

I think there may be a problem, though. The recipe for the checkerboard cake in TCB calls for a 9” pan. My checkerboard cake pans are only 8”, however. I’m going to try the recipe with my pans and see how it works out. Hopefully it will still work.

~Matthew smile

Posted: 06 March 2009 07:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15
Monsieur P?tisserie - 06 March 2009 11:23 PM

Thanks you guys. By the way, Jen, I loved your response. You had me laughing so hard. The people in my office think I’m crazy now. I read your response and I started laughing and couldn’t stop. All I could think about was Michael Scott and The Office.

Isn’t that the funniest show ever!

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com