Help with Mousseline!
Posted: 27 February 2009 04:08 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  902
Joined  2009-01-04

I guess i Had to screw up mousseline at some point..
so i made a batch…ike normal did nothing different. looked curdled like it always does…increased speed etc…at this point is where it usully gets better and looks like mousseline…but…this time it didn’t. It stayed curdled looking longer, then when i put my spatula in it, it didn’t looked curdled anymore but it looked more wet than normal. More like watered down mayonaise. It tasted good, just like normal, but it is just a little more wet. I was going to use this as a crumb coat for the cake…do you think i can still use it?? Any idea what I did wrong?? i have to make another batch tomorrow for the top coat and piping so I need to figure out where I went wrong…

Posted: 27 February 2009 06:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  592
Joined  2007-11-27

I think you can still use it, you might try adding a little more butter - not a lot, just a few more TBL and see what happens.  It sounds like the emulsion didn’t happen so adding a little more fat might help it along.
Does it taste ok or does it taste too much of butter?  Sometimes if you melt and rewhip mousseline too much (or too many times), this can happen - where the emulsion breaks and nothing you do can get it back.

If you make another batch, you might try to incorporate some of this batch into it.

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 27 February 2009 06:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  902
Joined  2009-01-04

no it tastes fine, just like normal mousseline. I added 1 TB of vanilla - and I think I added less last time- would that matter??

Posted: 27 February 2009 09:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  592
Joined  2007-11-27

No, that’s not enough to make a difference (you can add up to 3 oz of liqueur without it breaking).  If it tastes fine, spreads well, go for it!

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 28 February 2009 12:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1419
Joined  2007-11-15

butter was too soft/warm when incorporating, meringue was to hot when butter was added, sugar wasn’t 248-258oF when adding to the whites, or cream of tartar was ommited.

before I start, I let the butter reach room temperature and cream it well with the flat beater.  Then I chill it in a cooler with one ice pack till butter is cold but thickly spreadable.

I whip my meringue till is lukewrm about 95oF to ideally 85oF, then add the butter.

the thin mayonaise consistency you experiencis discussed on the recipe, to fix it, chill the mixture before fully whipped, about 15 to 20 minutes, then finish whipping.

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 28 February 2009 06:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4741
Joined  2008-04-16

It sounds a bit like what happens when you add liqueur or extract- at first it seems to separate and not mix in, so that you have mousseline with liquid around it.  Then, after beating, it blends in totally and makes it smoother and creamier.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls