Adapting recipe for a square pan etc? sort of ......
Posted: 28 February 2009 04:03 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2009-02-28

I’m trying to do much the same thing, only I need to convert the White Chocolate Whisper Cake to a full sheet version, and I can’t find that type of conversion anywhere in my edition of TCB (1988, a first edition that won’t ever be worth anything to anyone but me, as it’s full of my notes.).  Can someone help me?  My main problem is time.  I need to make it for a photo show opening reception on the afternoon of the 8th March, but, because of when my payday hits, I can’t get all of the ingredients I need until the 6th March.  Therefore, I’d like to know all of my conversions by the middle of the week, if at all possible.  Any saviours out there?  Thanks in advance!!

Posted: 28 February 2009 08:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  611
Joined  2007-11-18

IRETTIG:
  Good evening & welcome to our culinary club & happy to meet you. If I understand your request you wish to convert the recipe in Miss Rose’s TCB as you identified so that it will fit in a full sheet pan???
  Well my friend I should know the size of a full sheet pan…being a amatuer at all this I think it is 18 X 26, X 1 inch if it is so I will post the actual size. & how much batter will fit allowing a 50% full due to the expansion in volume of the chemical leaveners.

16.8 X 24.5 X .8 inch. = 20.5, cups. or 10.25 cups X 8, oz per cup =82, oz.
  The recipe weight is 42.75, oz…so you need to do a 2X the recipe.
  If this size isn’t what you wanted to know post back with the size in inches & I will recalulate it again for you.
  Good luck in your baking project. Enjoy the rest of the day.

~FRESHKID. cool hmm

Posted: 28 February 2009 08:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-02-28

Hi! 

Hooray!  A starting point!  I went and measured my pan just to be sure.  It’s 15” x 22” x 2”, and is considered a full sheet cake, according to the label that was on it when I bought it, lo these many years ago.  So, I will double the recipe, and pray.  I thank you very much for your help.  The final decorated version will be the equivalent of a negative picture of my camera, since I don’t wish to scare people off with black frosting!  I’ll get a photo of the finished product, and post it (if that’s allowed here) after the fact.

Thanks again!

Later,

Lynn

Posted: 01 March 2009 10:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  611
Joined  2007-11-18

IWRETTIG:
  Good morning. Lynn, I have read your responce posting. Because I do not wish you to fail in your baking project I must tell you
that I recalculated for the pan dimensions you posted namely 15 X 22 X 2. inches. Lynn, For this sized pan it is twice the depth.
  Soooo, to fill this pan 1/2 way up to allow for the function of the chemical leaveners you must do a 4X the book recipe.
Lynn, if you require further assistance I will here for you.
  Good luck & enjoy the rest of the day young lady.

~FRESHKID. oh oh

Posted: 01 March 2009 03:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-02-28

OK, 4X it is.  Thanks again!!  It’s always nice to get help on projects like this, especially since I haven’t done any large cakes since the last wedding and groom’s cakes I made about 7 years ago.  Coincidentally, the wedding cake just happened to be the White Chocolate Whisper cake!!  Now that I have that information, I can rest easy, get my shopping lists prepared, and spend the rest of the afternoon out and about catching up on my photo assignments.

Later,

Lynn

P. S.: Thanks for the “young lady” label!!  lynn

‹‹ Help with Mousseline!      Lots of Questions ››