2 of 3
Lots of Questions
Posted: 04 March 2009 11:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15
Albertagirl - 04 March 2009 02:36 PM

Thanks Julie

I have 6 daughters - this is # 5 to get married and I have baked all of their cakes. This time they want to serve it as dessert instead of just letting people eat it at the midnight lunch or passing a small piece so I need to be sure it is great! Thankfully they suggested the dummy wedding cake and the sheet cakes which makes it so much easier for me as I can get the dummy cake decorated ahead of time and ready to go. 

I am making the all american chocolate cake so maybe I will just syrup (plain) instead of the ganache and then use the ganache as the frosting.  Thoughts?

6 girls?... bathroom time must have been fun at your house when they were teens wink.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 04 March 2009 11:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

You can definitely adjust the flavoring in the white velvet cake.  I’ve baked this cake in an 11x15x2 pan quite successfully.  Good thing you have time to do a test run.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

Posted: 04 March 2009 12:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  21
Joined  2009-03-02

I am baking the White Velvet Cake right now - put the lavender and the lemon zest in - I will let you know how it turns out.

Posted: 04 March 2009 12:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  913
Joined  2009-01-04

LOL post pictures!

Posted: 04 March 2009 01:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  595
Joined  2007-11-18

ALBERTAGIRL:
  Good morning. I did the math for you. I must tell you that you accidently omitted the eggs…sooo, I am assumming 4, eggs in this recipe (7) oz. worth. question  Using your new 3, inch deep pan you must do a 3X the recipe. I/2 up requires 162, oz of batter. Your recipe is approx 53/54, oz worth or 7,cups.
  I hope this info will help you. Good luck in your baking projects. Enjoy the rest of the day.

~FRESHKID.

Posted: 04 March 2009 02:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-03-02

Thank you so much for the scale up - I checked back to the recipe and I did have four eggs posted? but you were right in your estimation.  I will be doing a practice one. 

I made the white velvet butter cake - put the lavender and lemon peel into the batter.  Then I brushed them with lemon syrup when they came out of the oven.  Although I haven’t tried them yet - they seem to have a very large crumb (is that how to explain it) that is lots of larger holes. 

I did forget to add the sugar until after I had put the eggs in (arrgggh - I have to get used to reading through the entire recipe before I start!!!  lol) so had to beat it alot more than it called for - my oven temp was right on - I am assuming that may have been the problem.  I made the 2 - 9” pans so followed the sizes as well.

I have another question regarding baking powder.  I have a new container - I checked the Best Before date and it was June 2004!!!!  Do grocery stores stock fresh baking powder or is it considered to be fresh if the container isn’t opened. 

Thanks again for all your help.  I have learned sooooo much.

Posted: 04 March 2009 02:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

Albertagirl - I’m guessing you are located in Canada?  Can you tell us what kind of flour you’re using… maybe one of our wonderful Canadian bakers who post here regularly can help. 

RE the BP - I’m assuming the people who stock the grocery shelves don’t realize baking powder expires.  Throw a pinch of it into warm water and see what happens… if it bubbles, it’s okay.  I’d definitely be taking it back for a newer container though!

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

Posted: 04 March 2009 02:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-03-02

Ah - yes I am in Canada - just back in from shovelling the 1 foot of snow we got yesterday - I was positive spring was here!!

The flour - I never gave that a thought - but I didn’t have cake flour so looked at Rose’s substitutions and used less flour and cornstarch.  Maybe that is the problem.  Now that I think about it - Canadian flour and American flour are different (my breadmaker has different recipes for Canada) so maybe that is the problem. Any suggestions for Canadian A/P flour - I had intended to buy Cake flour for the wedding cakes.

Who ever thought making a cake was so technical - lol.

Posted: 04 March 2009 03:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-18

ALBERTA GIRL:
  Hello again. I cannot tell you with authority whether or not your cake mishap happened due to failure to follow the directions.
But I must ask you did you employ CAKE FLOUR or did you use ALL PURPOSE flour????. If you used the latter was it un~bleached or bleached???

Where I shop for much of my baking ingredients (Walmart Super Duper stores) the chemical leaveners cost me much less that
1$ each. So I change the boxes every 3 to 4 months as a matter of course.  Even the cornstarch box is .86 for a 16,oz box.
If you require further assistance we are here for you.
  Enjoy the rest of the day.

~FRESHKID.

Posted: 04 March 2009 03:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-03-02

Thanks Freshkid - see my post just above yours for my flour explanation - I do think it might be the problem.  Anyway - the cakes are horrible - they don’t even taste good - there is an undernote of bitterness -  from the cornstarch??  from lemon peel that I had frozen??  Who knows - anyway - they were a flop - lesson learned ( although I don’t know what lesson as yet) lol

Posted: 04 March 2009 03:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-18

ALBERTAGIRL:
  Hello & sorry to learn of your baking mishap. Notice my ??? to you about the flour. I am guilty of asking you a ??? that I knew the answer to. Generally speaking, In butter cakes it would behoove that baker to employ BLEACHED All purpose flour. As you know in America all Cake flour is bleached & has chlorination in it as well. If you cannot buy cake flour where you live you can buy it at KAF thru the mail.
Be careful when buying American All purpoe flour. Those words “DO NOT MEAN WHAT MOST AMERICANS” think it means. Recently I bought a 10, pound bag of HI GLUTEN Flour thru the mail from Montana mills… 14% proten level. It was labeled “ALL PURPOSE FLOUR”.  All purpose flour ranges approx 10.5 to 10.75 protein level.  (Gold Medal & Pillsbury)
When buying All purpose flour, look for the small box on the side of the flour bag about 60% down there are these numbers.  Cake flour & pastry flour is rated 2g… All purpose four is 3g…bread flour is 4g &  hi gluten flour as well as ww wheat flour is 5g.
I hope this info helps you wink  with your baking.

Keep us posted when you can.

~FRESHKID.

Posted: 04 March 2009 05:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Albertagirl, I’d love to help you but I live in Toronto and don’t know if the same products are available over there. I use Monarch cake flour or Swans Down. I’ve even used Robin Hood cake flour and it works well. Are you in Calgary by any chance?

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 04 March 2009 08:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-03-02

Hi Rozanne - I am in a small town in central Alberta so often have to get the better baking products in the city.  Glad to know about Monarch and Swans as I know both of those are available in the city if not here.  Thanks so much.

Posted: 05 March 2009 10:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

You’re welcome. I’m glad you are able to get the flour in the city. The reason I asked if you live in Calgary is b/c my brother flies to Calgary a lot (work related) and I would have sent you a gift of some flour from here. Good luck and do let us know how the cake turns out.

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 05 March 2009 10:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4789
Joined  2008-04-16

AG, your texture/structure may have been off, it sounds like you’re describing large holes in the cake, is that right?

In addition to the flour issue already discussed, a white cake can have a more open crumb than yellow because of less fat and emulsifiers in the yolks.  Large holes can also be from baking powder that was old/inactive (2004, yikes!), or if the batter sat on the counter for a while before being baked. 

Just curious, what made you switch to the white cake?  For what it’s worth, I prefer the fuller flavor and finer texture of a yellow cake, unless a white color is required or a delicate taste is called for to keep from overwhelming a mildly flavored filling/frosting. 

I just wanted to add that a pound cake recipe, with the lemon soaking syrup, might be difficult to bake in a sheet pan, they often don’t have enough structure for that.  Stick to layer cake recipes, sized up.

Good Luck!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

2 of 3