1 of 3
first timer Wedding Cake
Posted: 04 March 2009 10:50 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  117
Joined  2009-03-04

I’m planning on making my daughter’s Wedding cake as well. I’m waiting for “The Bible” to arrive as I have just ordered it. Hearing a lot about the White Velvety cake…should this be the White cake I choose? She wants a Chocolate filling…should that be a chocolate buttercream. Thanks for the guidance. Luckily it’s not until November 2009!

Posted: 04 March 2009 11:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

Hi TS - Both are excellent choices, but you might find you’ll have many more when you get your copy of TCB.  Have you checked out Rose’s wedding cake section on the blog? Lots of yummy ideas there.

http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/questions_and_answers/cake_questions/wedding/

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 04 March 2009 11:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Welcome tofusalem!. As Patricia said, excellent choices. The white velvet cake is absolutely delicious. Rose doesn’t recommend pairing it with chocolate buttercream b/c the chocolate over-powers the delicate flavour of the cake. Having said that….....the bottom line is personal preference.

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 04 March 2009 11:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

Rozanne is right, but I think if you’re just using the chocolate buttercream as a filling, it shouldn’t be too overpowering.  Only one way to find out for sure… bake a practice cake smile.  They make my family very happy.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

Posted: 05 March 2009 05:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-03-04

thanks for your guidance. I read that Rose doesn’t like chocolate with this cake. I tested this cake last night, without the icing. I decided to try 1 1/2 teaspoons of Vanilla with 1 teaspoon almond extract. I’m not sure if I liked the combination, but my daughter loves Marzipan and I thought the Almond would work. At any rate, my husband liked it a lot. Do you think this buttery cake works better with only Vanilla extract? Does Rose or any of you have a white cake that is a little less buttery tasting. Can you give your thoughts on some successful pairings of cake and fillings.  Also, should the filling be Buttercream as well or should I do a Ganache? Believe it or not, I’ve never “cooked” a Buttercream and am concerned over that. I do have a lot of baking experience though. Thanks.

Posted: 05 March 2009 09:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4737
Joined  2008-04-16

Perhaps take a look at the Pistachio and Rose Wedding Cake, pictured on p.21 and detailed on p.219.  It satisfies all your requests! 

-White velvet cake, check.
-Easier buttercream (neoclassic), check.
-Pistachio marzipan likely to be swooned over by marizpan lover, check.

Good Luck!

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 05 March 2009 09:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

In a different direction, if your daughter loves almond and wants to keep the chocolate, maybe try the Golden Almond butter cake with Rose’s suggested pairing of ganache (ganache is pretty simple to make, as long as you use the food processor).

Signature 

Posted: 06 March 2009 12:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-18

Yes, do try the golden almond cake with ganache. It is out of this world specially if your daughter likes marzipan.

Signature 

Posted: 06 March 2009 07:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15
Julie - 06 March 2009 01:42 AM

In a different direction, if your daughter loves almond and wants to keep the chocolate, maybe try the Golden Almond butter cake with Rose’s suggested pairing of ganache (ganache is pretty simple to make, as long as you use the food processor).

Hands down, one of my favorite cakes!

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

Posted: 06 March 2009 07:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

Using the food processor is a snap, but you can very easily make ganache without one too.  Either slowly melt the chocolate and cream together in a double boiler, or pour the hot cream over the chocolate in a bowl and let it sit until the chocolate is softened enough to stir it all together (whisk for best results, but try not to incorporate a lot of air).

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

Posted: 06 March 2009 12:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-03-04

Thank you sooo much for your advice. I do know a fair amount about baking.  Use a processor, thank you. I would only use the chocolate ganache in-between layers, and I guess the white buttercream to frost the whole cake.  The wedding is in November, so no heat involved (I hope). Will the Ganache be fine to keep out for a period of time? Does anyone ever frost the outside with a white Ganache instead of a Buttercream? What would be the downfall of this? I just don’t want it to look like a birthday cake. Plan to use either real or Royal icing flowers and ribbon to decorate. I also saw, to save time Fondant ribbon with lovely detail on it sold in 15 ft rolls, 2 inches wide. Might use this to have it look more finished. I know it’s sacreligious, but for saving time…..and I’m not the best decorator…..

Posted: 06 March 2009 03:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  86
Joined  2008-04-23

Hi-

I used the whipped white ganache on my brother and sister-in-law’s wedding cake (many years ago). Since I was in the wedding- bet you are, too- I frosted the cake the day before and refrigerated it. The whipped ganache held its shape, but lost some opacity, so you could see a hint of a darker shade where the ganache layer was thinner. Admittedly, I had crumb-coated the layers, fudgy genoise, with the dark chocolate and raspberry ganache, so the surface under the white ganache was very dark. I was disappointed in the appearance, but the cake was, if I may say, delicious.

Fortunately, my sister-in-law is beautiful, so the eye did not linger on the imperfections of the cake.  She’s also a beautiful person, so if it bothered her, I never knew.

Cathy

PS In my experience, unbeated white ganaches are pretty translucent in the thicknesses in which you’d use a dark ganache.

Posted: 06 March 2009 05:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Cathy, great comment, that’s good to know about white ganache!

Tofusalem, because of the cream, ganache doesn’t sit out at room temp quite as long as, say, mousseline buttercream.  But the wedding is in November, so the cake probably won’t be subject to hours of 90F weather!  You could bring the cream to a boil several times to lengthen shelf life (Rose talks about this being common practice in France).  The dark ganache sounds wonderful for the filling, and it will be somewhat more insulated by cake than the outer buttercream. 

Even though it isn’t the simplest buttercream to make, many who make wedding cakes swear by Vanilla mousseline for the outside.  It can be a bit nerve-wracking and time consuming (in my kitchen, it always curdles before turning smooth and beautiful).

Signature 

Posted: 07 March 2009 11:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-03-04

thanks all…love this forum. The frosting is my only fear of making the wedding cake. I do want to make the Mousseline Buttercream, just afraid it won’t turn out well; hence my thought of using Ganache because it is much easier. Do you perscribe to making the layers weeks in advance and freezing, or several days and freezing. Without the frosting obviously. Will it thaw and be the same as fresh?  Does one cake act better for freezing?

Posted: 07 March 2009 12:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-18
tofusalem - 07 March 2009 03:25 PM

The frosting is my only fear of making the wedding cake. I do want to make the Mousseline Buttercream, just afraid it won’t turn out well

Since the wedding is in Nov and you have a lot of “practice” time, why don’t you give the mousseline a try. You won’t be sorry. It pipes so well too.

Signature 

Posted: 07 March 2009 04:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Yes to what Rozanne said!  You can try a few practice batches of mousseline, until you feel comfortable with it.  When it gets closer to the time, you can make the mousseline well ahead (before the cake, even) and freeze it.

As for making the butter cakes ahead, check out Rose’s wedding cake section, she gives advice on syruping them to maintain moistness.  They can definitely be frozen, just be sure to wrap well. 

Good Luck!

Signature 

1 of 3