How to make chocolate curls
Posted: 04 March 2009 11:59 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  30
Joined  2008-11-13

I want to make white chocolate curls to decorate a birthday cake.  I only have done this once before, and was not pleased with the results.  Does anyone have a good technique to share?  And would making white chocolate curls be any different from making the dark chocolate curls which I had so much difficulty with?

FYI, the way that I have done this previously is to melt the chocolate, pour into a plastic wrap lined loaf pan, allow to cool; then I turned it out onto a wooden board, peeled off the plastic, and shaved the curls with a cheese slicer.  They broke often and I was forced to eat the mistakes…

Signature 

http://victoriasdays.blogspot.com

Posted: 05 March 2009 09:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2009-01-29

Hi there! Never tried it with white chocolate, but i get good results by using a potato peeler and shaving the curls directly from the chocolate bar (that said, you have to use bars, not drops). And why not try re-melting your mistakes (though eating them is good too HA HA).
Goof luck

Posted: 05 March 2009 10:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  913
Joined  2009-01-04

I just did a post about this a week or two ago. I took a regular chocolate bar and a potato peeler. I softened the chocolate just a little bit. You can see a picture of the curls if you do a search. Not sure if those are the type you are looking for but you can check it out.

Posted: 05 March 2009 10:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-11-13

Thanks for your input!  I wanted wider curls than the width of the potato-peeler blade would get me, but I am at the point now where I will take any method, any width as long as they look good.  I think that I tried this method before but the chocolate bar may have been a bit too hard and the curls had break-lines in them.  Anyway, I will try this again (and also do the search for the post as well, I didn’t see it).

Hmmm.  Melting the chocolate scraps to make more curls… oh, why didn’t I think of that?!?!? wink

Signature 

Posted: 05 March 2009 10:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

Vicci, when you melted the chocolate to make curls, did you quick temper or temper it?  It needs to be tempered.

For shorter curls, use a block of chocolate and potato peeler.  The key is the temperature of the chocolate block.  It needs to be about 80F for semi-sweet, probably a little cooler for white.  If it’s too cool, the chocolate shatters, and if it’s too warm, it won’t curl, though you can sometimes coax it into a curl with a spoon.  Many people give the block a short blast in the microwave, but be careful as this can give you a liquid center before the edges reach curling temps.  Rose covers all this in the Cake Bible.

For longer curls, you need to temper or quick temper the chocolate, spread it into a long rectangle, and when it reaches that key temperature, scrape it into shapes with a bench scraper or similar tool.  I haven’t done this, but I’ve read that it takes a lot of practice to make chocolate cigarettes (long curls). 

Good Luck!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 05 March 2009 10:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  913
Joined  2009-01-04

the post is under “new marble cake” in the show and tell section. They were with a small chocolate bar so they are small curls.

Vicci - 05 March 2009 02:45 PM

Thanks for your input!  I wanted wider curls than the width of the potato-peeler blade would get me, but I am at the point now where I will take any method, any width as long as they look good.  I think that I tried this method before but the chocolate bar may have been a bit too hard and the curls had break-lines in them.  Anyway, I will try this again (and also do the search for the post as well, I didn’t see it).

Hmmm.  Melting the chocolate scraps to make more curls… oh, why didn’t I think of that?!?!? wink

Posted: 05 March 2009 09:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-11-13

Julie, no I didn’t temper the chocolate.  Thanks for all of the info, I’ve printed it to use.

skiweaver9, thanks for directing me to the link to your post!

Signature 

‹‹ Wedding cake question      Clarified butter? ››