Clarified butter?
Posted: 05 March 2009 09:36 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2009-01-29

Finally received my copy of TCB, wonder how I’ve managed without it!!
So I was reading it and, OK, it may sound weird but it’s the first time i’ve come across clarified butter, and so i read the explanation of how to make it and have a BIG doubt, which part of the butter do i use, the liquid remaining or the dark solids in the sieve?
THANK YOU!

Posted: 05 March 2009 10:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Use the liquid. The dark solids can be used in bread dough. It gives the bread a wonderful flavour. Rose suggested it. Do a search on the blog for more details. Or discard it if you have no use for it.

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 05 March 2009 10:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4823
Joined  2008-04-16

Ideally, both!!  Let me explain:

For Genoise, you cook the butter until the solids are brown, “buerre noisette”, then pour off the butter and leave the solids behind (you can strain it if you like, but I just pour off the butter slowly, so the solids stay in the pan). 

You can then scoop out the solids and freeze them for the next time you make bread.  If I have enough toasted butter solids in the freezer, I put a teaspoon or two in brioche, bread, even chocolate chip cookies!

Let’s see, if you are making just clarified butter (not browned) as for Creme Ivoire, I think it’s best not to brown the solids, as this produces too much toasted flavor for that buttercream.  In that case, you can still pour off the clarified butter when the solids drop, but then return the pan to the heat long enough to toast the solids and add them to your tasty freezer stash!

Have fun with TCB, what are you going to make first?

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or less) Sour - Part II

Posted: 05 March 2009 10:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-18

Julie, great idea to use the solids in choc chips cookies. I would never have thought of it.

Signature 

Posted: 05 March 2009 10:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Hi Rozane!  When I’m feeling ambitous and have the time, I make “brown butter” choco chip cookies, using both the buerre noisette and the solids!  They are yummy.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or less) Sour - Part II

Posted: 05 March 2009 04:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2009-01-29

Thank you all so much. I’m trying three different things at the moment, making praline chocolate strips, a banana cake, and mousseline buttercream, just going crazy with this book, it reaches the parts no other books ever can (HA)!
By the way, and talking of other books, Jamie Oliver recommends using the solids for cooking meat or fish, apparently it gives it a delicious flavour and beautiful colour.

Posted: 05 March 2009 09:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Oooo, I bet toasted butter solids are great on meat, adding it to a nut or bread crumb coating must be tasty! 

Looking forward to following your progress through the Cake Bible, please consider posting some pics!  And welcome to our world, isn’t the Cake Bible amazing? Such breadth, precision and reliability, as well taste that matches my own perfectly (rich, natural, quality ingredients and recipes that are not too sweet).

Signature 

Posted: 06 March 2009 12:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-18

Julie, do you just use the buerre noisette instead of the butter? Does it alter the consistency of the cookie since the butter is melted or does you recipe already call for melted butter?

Signature 

Posted: 06 March 2009 08:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Rozannne, my choco chip recipe is based on the old Toll House one, with a few tweaks to intensify flavor and reduce sweetness.  My family loves them but they might not be the right style for someone who finds some food too intensely flavored or who likes things sweeter. 

The browned butter doesn’t seem to affect the texture in a big way, they are not too flat or too puffy, just in-between.  We call them black & tans because of the tan cookie with the dark chips.  The most important things are to brown the butter, toast the pecans, and use the Ghiradelli 60% chips.  They are mixed and baked in the usual way.  These are a relic from my pre-Cake Bible days, so I haven’t switched it over to weights yet or read up on the effects of browning (liquefying) the butter on the cookie.  Sometimes one just wants to connect with those homey, familiar recipes of the past.

Black & Tans

2 C AP flour
2 Tblspn cocoa powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp b powder
1/8 tsp b soda

2/3 C each light brown and white sugar
2 sticks browned butter, with solids, cooled
2 eggs
1.75 tsp vanilla

1 heaping cup toasted chopped pecans
1 11.5 oz package Ghiradelli 60% bittersweet chips

Signature 

Posted: 06 March 2009 10:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-18

Thank you for taking the time to post the recipe. We don’t like overly sweet things either so I’m sure we’ll love these. As a thank you I did the conversion for you since I was doing it for myself anyway.

2 C AP flour (lightly spooned 242g or dip&sweep;290g)
2/3 C each light brown and white sugar (144.6g packed and 133.3g respectively)
2 sticks browned butter, with solids, cooled (227g)

Signature 

Posted: 06 March 2009 05:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Thanks, Rozanne! The flour is lightly spooned.

Signature